Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area
 [Register]
Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area Manatee and Sarasota Counties
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-23-2018, 02:06 PM

2,407 posts, read 3,163,581 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbronston View Post
For the first time that I can remember, we can smell red tide as far east as Lakewood Ranch. I've lived in Braden Woods and then Lakewood Ranch since 1987 and can't recall ever smelling anything like this (unless you count walking by a lift station at just the right time.) Some people have suggested that it is the smell of the landfill where they've taken all the dead fish but the wind yesterday was out of the west so I'm pretty sure it must be coming from the beaches.
Yesterday was absolutely awful. Could smell the dead fish from my east facing lanai and I'm about 20 minutes from the beach.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-23-2018, 03:21 PM

25,246 posts, read 12,375,937 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by macrodome2 View Post
Yesterday was absolutely awful. Could smell the dead fish from my east facing lanai and I'm about 20 minutes from the beach.
Maybe your smelling the 30 year old septic tanks leaking in Braden Woods! Were you downwind from there?

Old 08-23-2018, 03:40 PM

5,586 posts, read 8,352,585 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by macrodome2 View Post
I walked outside yesterday afternoon and almost threw up. We were getting winds from the west, and I am only two blocks east of Palma Sola Bay, but I have friends in inland Bradenton who also smelled it.

Old 08-23-2018, 04:49 PM

6,681 posts, read 4,379,439 times
I live just east of Hwy. 41 in Nokomis. For the past couple of weeks there has mostly been a bad odor outside my house. I wouldn't describe it has heavily obnoxious - but I would describe it as mildly unpleasant. Definitely noticeable though. If I was planning on buying a house it would definitely be something I'd take into consideration. But since I'm just renting no big deal. I wonder if the red tide will equate to less crowds (and traffic) this season. Is it likely to get better in winter? IMO since I don't go to the beach much - it's an acceptable trade-off to put up with a mildly unpleasant odor in exchange for less crowds and traffic.

Old 08-23-2018, 05:22 PM

6,681 posts, read 4,379,439 times
Just came across this in the local paper today. No-swim advisories have been issued for several beaches in the area. I don't think this is directly related to the red-tide issue? But obviously not a good thing.

'No swim' advisory issued for Sarasota County beaches - News - Sarasota Herald-Tribune - Sarasota, FL

"Sarasota County health officials have issued “no swim” advisories at several local beaches.

The warning for Lido, Brohard, Venice Pier, Siesta, and Longboat Key beaches comes after hazardous amounts of entercoccus bacteria were found during water-quality testing on Aug. 23. "

Old 08-23-2018, 05:29 PM

5,663 posts, read 10,676,599 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beach43ofus View Post
Maybe your smelling the 30 year old septic tanks leaking in Braden Woods! Were you downwind from there?
If they all seeped up to the surface at the same time it still wouldn’t have matched the smell!

Oddly enough, the wind is out of the SW now and I don’t smell anything.

Old 08-23-2018, 06:02 PM

16,376 posts, read 22,370,553 times
Reports of Red Tide dead fish stench in Myakka City - 25 miles inland.

Red tide stench reaches Myakka City | News | mysuncoast.com

Old 08-23-2018, 06:20 PM

17,464 posts, read 38,864,396 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sware2cod View Post
Reports of Red Tide dead fish stench in Myakka City - 25 miles inland.

Red tide stench reaches Myakka City | News | mysuncoast.com
Wow, that's amazing. But strangely I live two blocks from the bay, and while I smell it it is not really THAT strong, to me. Some days worse than others. Hard to believe they are smelling it in Myakka.....

Old 08-23-2018, 06:54 PM

282 posts, read 244,432 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gypsychic View Post
Wow, that's amazing. But strangely I live two blocks from the bay, and while I smell it it is not really THAT strong, to me. Some days worse than others. Hard to believe they are smelling it in Myakka.....
We had family staying bayside on Anna Maria last week, and their experience was much the same. Most of the time they didn't have an issue with odor.
I know on Monday the canals were filling up with dead fish again, this may be more of an issue this week for the rest of the area.

Old 08-23-2018, 07:37 PM

20,956 posts, read 8,578,120 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gypsychic View Post
It all depends on the wind.

I smelled 9/11 from my house in S. NJ - about 75 miles as the crow flies. When you consider the strength of the smell of dead sea life, it's not out of the range of possibilities.

All in all, tho, most should dissipate by 5+ miles inland unless the wind goes right up a bay/valley like Charlotte Harbor.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area