Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area
 [Register]
Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area Manatee and Sarasota Counties
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-29-2018, 08:45 PM

20,955 posts, read 8,664,723 times

Advertisements

This is a great quickie history and doc.

Bottom line - the yearly blooms ARE a new thing, as noted in the timeline:
"1998 -- First year of the unbroken run of annual red-tide episodes that continues to this day. "

Here is the long story:
http://crca.caloosahatchee.org/crca_...e_Timeline.pdf

As you can see, they have gotten longer and longer and closer together. Is there any reason to suspect that this long history is going to suddenly change? Not a single thing has been done in Florida to mitigate the problem....in fact, the complete opposite.

Again, I wish I could be optimistic. But there is a lot of science and detail in that paper and it all ties together and makes perfect sense. It's obvious that this should have been addressed starting in the 1970's or earlier (clean water and clean air acts, EPA, etc.). But nothing has been done except to deny it and throw millions at Mote to keep repeating that it's "natural".
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-30-2018, 05:11 AM

25,689 posts, read 12,772,161 times
1998 to 2018 (20 years) is not a long history when Red Tide has been observed here since the 1638, 380 years. For much of that time, no records were being kept. There may have been longer and more severe cases that were just never recorded. Again, Red Tide pre-dated modern civilization.

I can agree that modern civilization is likely making it worse close to shore, and steps should be taken to mitigate that, but I think some are going off the deep end using it as a Acorn to proove their opinion that the sky is falling.

How do we stop the; Sugar, Cattle, and Phosphate industries, from polluting our waters and aquifers? That is job #1 imho. Septic tank leakage and private use of fertilizers is a drop in the bucket compared to Big-Ag's impact. I have no proof of this, just my opinion.

I complied with the voluntary fertilizing ban, and I've taken steps so that only 1/3rd of my yard requires feeding. We don't have a septic tank. I don't eat meat. We don't waste food. We recycle. We minimize our consumption of Chinese goods. We have no boats, extra cars, motorcycles, or any extra fossile fuel burning stuff. We had 1 child (reducing overpopulaton) & have 1 home (1/2 the size we had in ATL). We consolidate driving trips to 1 trip/day. We pollute less than many tree-huggers who push E-views obsessively. Actions speak louder than words. "If it is to be, it starts with me"

We like to focus upon the things we can control the most. I know many Conservatives (I don't consider myself a Republican) who do the same.

Last edited by beach43ofus; 10-30-2018 at 05:32 AM..

Old 10-30-2018, 07:14 AM

11,610 posts, read 10,420,786 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beach43ofus View Post
1998 to 2018 (20 years) is not a long history when Red Tide has been observed here since the 1638, 380 years. For much of that time, no records were being kept. There may have been longer and more severe cases that were just never recorded. Again, Red Tide pre-dated modern civilization.

I can agree that modern civilization is likely making it worse close to shore, and steps should be taken to mitigate that, but I think some are going off the deep end using it as a Acorn to proove their opinion that the sky is falling.

How do we stop the; Sugar, Cattle, and Phosphate industries, from polluting our waters and aquifers? That is job #1 imho. Septic tank leakage and private use of fertilizers is a drop in the bucket compared to Big-Ag's impact. I have no proof of this, just my opinion.

I complied with the voluntary fertilizing ban, and I've taken steps so that only 1/3rd of my yard requires feeding. We don't have a septic tank. I don't eat meat. We don't waste food. We recycle. We minimize our consumption of Chinese goods. We have no boats, extra cars, motorcycles, or any extra fossile fuel burning stuff. We had 1 child (reducing overpopulaton) & have 1 home (1/2 the size we had in ATL). We consolidate driving trips to 1 trip/day. We pollute less than many tree-huggers who push E-views obsessively. Actions speak louder than words. "If it is to be, it starts with me"

We like to focus upon the things we can control the most. I know many Conservatives (I don't consider myself a Republican) who do the same.
Denier avatar to represent denial of empirical evidence of man-made climate change = Acorn.

Florida deniers, such as Rick Scott, like to claim that all environmental ravages such as red tide are "natural." Few Floridians seem concerned that the state's coral reef, third largest in the world and one of Florida's greatest natural resources, has suffered great destruction on Scott's watch; it's not even mentioned in the following article. Bottom line, if persons want to fight red tide and the ongoing degradation of Florida's environment, elect environmentalists to public office.

https://www.tampabay.com/news/enviro...ick-_172872639

Putting a man-made climate change denier such as Rick Scott in the Senate will doom Florida to increased ravages from fossil fuel burning, including warming oceans and therefore more persistent and severe red tides and more intense hurricanes. Deniers such as President Trump and the Republicans controlling Congress currently want to increase fossil fuel consumption, not transition the economy away from fossil fuels.

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/artic...in-senate-race

Actually, increased persistence and severity of toxic algal blooms, including red tide, over a short period would cause most persons to ask what has changed. Two reasonable explanations are ocean warming due to fossil fuel burning and increased nutrient load due to Florida's expanding population and poor pollution regulation and controls.

Consider that the famed toxic algal blooms in Lake Erie always peak in August and disappear as the lake cools beginning in late August. Scientists know that ocean warming will enhance conditions for toxic algal blooms including red tide. See "How will harmful microorganisms be affected by ocean warming?" in this University of Florida research paper.

https://edis.ifas.ufl.edu/sg136

U.S. Coastal Water Temperature Trends | Climate Central

GOM water temperatures now have been recorded for the first time above 73 degrees F. for an entire winter, and often are 10 degrees warmer than previously, according to the following article.

https://www.chicagotribune.com/news/...323-story.html

Considering that global carbon dioxide emissions from fossil fuel burning have increased more than 50 percent in the last 20 years, and that the impact on the environment is cumulative, and that over 90 percent of the resulting excess planetary heat ends up in the oceans, ocean warming should not be surprising.

https://www.carbonbrief.org/analysis...e-year-plateau

Few of the discussions of red tide discuss the impact on the ocean floor. Rotting animals and other organic matter likely are lowering oxygen levels, negatively impacting the recovery of marine life.

Also to assume that septic tank leakage and lawn run-off is immaterial compared to ag pollution in the absence of facts is irresponsible. Ag business waste may be the major source of Lake Okeechobee nutrient pollution, but that doesn't mean septic tank waste isn't a greater problem elsewhere in the state.

https://www.wtsp.com/article/news/re...y/67-609206540

Old, unregulated septic tanks definitely are associated with toxic algal blooms.

https://www.tampabay.com/news/enviro...that_170059040

Minimizing the septic tank problem seems like a denier tactic to justify lax regulation of septic tanks.

https://www.sun-sentinel.com/opinion...815-story.html

One disgusting aspect of the environment debate is that deniers assume that Lake Okeechobee should be sacrificed in the interest of ag interests and developers!

Last edited by WRnative; 10-30-2018 at 07:54 AM..

Old 10-30-2018, 09:15 AM

4,536 posts, read 3,752,456 times
I’m currently taking Mote’s Endless Ocean series of ten weekly classes. It has been informative and eye-opening for me and exactly what I was after: learning about Florida’s marine environment and ecosystems now that I live here.

What I have learned and am learning from these classes is how very interconnected and complex all the environmental issues are today. While Red Tide was the topic of one class, this year’s bloom has been part of every class because it has had an effect on every subject presented.

Everyone wants a fast solution with an easy scapegoat for very complex issues. There is a problem in all the oceans with not only warming waters and PH changes, but serious pollution and HAB’s (harmful algal blooms) increasing worldwide. There will be no easy answers.

Becoming actively involved, not just passively posting on the internet or throwing money at a problem, is needed to affect a change in what is happening. There is no one group or entity to fix Red Tide or any other environmental problem. This is going to take all of us.

Last edited by jean_ji; 10-30-2018 at 10:13 AM..

Old 10-30-2018, 09:52 AM

60 posts, read 70,338 times
So did anyone go to Lido beach today and check for red tide symptoms? Please advise and include water color..thanks.

Old 10-30-2018, 11:44 AM

20,955 posts, read 8,664,723 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beach43ofus View Post

An optimistic opinion when, in fact, many tests show the presence of poo in the water. Now - it may be that some is cattle poo, but poo none the less and it doesn't take a lot of poo to mess up a little warm water.

You didn't mention the development industry...perhaps the #1 cause in one form or another.

We have to think more like chess than checkers. Checkers is easy. Phosplate mining and over-application of ag fertilizer is obvious.

Development:
1. Turns the filters - wetlands and ALL lands in Florida - into the exact opposite. Lands that mitigated harm now do harm simply by covering land.
2. This "new land" which is no longer a filter becomes a source of polluted runoff.
3. The roads, shopping centers and attractions built to service the "new land" do the same and more - cover up land used as filters and that generates clean air, etc.
4. Cars, planes and other vehicles add massive amounts of pollution into the air, land and water - some of which ends up as run-off.

We could go on, but I think you underestimate the capacity of humans to quickly mess things up. It's been proven over and over again throughout history, sometimes happening in only decades back in the times where they didn't have the tools to pollute and develop as quickly as we do.

The Phosphate problem can't be solved without at least 10's or 100's of billions. The holes are already dug, the tailing piled up for more than a century. You can perhaps muddle a bit around the edges, but you cannot solve it.

In theory a place like Florida should ban or very tightly control cattle raising. The reason is simple - same reason people in NYC don't have herds on their lawn. The decision has been made for tens of millions of people to live in Florida. Cattle cannot co-exist with people without spreading massive amounts of their poo into our environment. There is plenty of room for cattle elsewhere - where people are not!

Which straw broke the camels back?

I think the straw here bent before it broke. It was bent by the phosphate and ag interests and by development. Then it was broken when we added on the failure to go through with the Lake O and everyglades restoration.

Global Warming, which we can't do a thing about in the short run, probably provided the last piece. Warming waters - a couple degree can make a vast difference in the support (or not) of various life forms.

In theory there would be multiple long range plans....and short range plans. Obviously the Lake O situation is the "quickest with the mostest" - even if we spend 10 Billion or 20 Billion there it would be cheap. Buy up ALL sugar lands. If need be let the lake go mostly back to it's natural state (with a few caveats). We can't protect that small amount of real estate around it with the entire coasts (people and value wise!).

The long terms plans are considering our grandchildren and on-down. Those are the Global Warming actions.

Do I think these will happen? I can say with surety that the slowing of development in Florida will NOT happen. The Cattle industry is VERY powerful in government there, so no quick fixes are going to happen there either.

Lot of work to be done. Chances are greater that it won't be done. For many centuries people have accepted living in virtual sewers and I don't think that is going to change now. As I mentioned, Mote will spend vast sums building a representation far inland of what it was like before we screwed it up. Future kids can go from their air conditioned house to the air conditioned car and to air conditioned inland Mote Complex and see "nature" which costs millions of dollars to display. They can pay for it too.....unlike the beach, you won't get in the Aquarium cheap or free.

Hey, what can I say. This is the realistic situation.

Old 10-30-2018, 02:25 PM

78 posts, read 110,690 times
I have officially cancelled my January trip to Casey Key and opted for an East Coast FL stay. I have been following closely and have heard mixed reports on when this situation will end. I'm sure I will still enjoy my FL trip but the Gulf Coast feel will be absent and missed. I'm sorry for all that were and are inconvenienced or worse. ---Robert

Old 10-30-2018, 04:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FL dreaming View Post
I have officially cancelled my January trip to Casey Key and opted for an East Coast FL stay. I have been following closely and have heard mixed reports on when this situation will end. I'm sure I will still enjoy my FL trip but the Gulf Coast feel will be absent and missed. I'm sorry for all that were and are inconvenienced or worse. ---Robert
May be wise decision..time will tell. Do NOT go to Vero Beach. I got a report today of terrible Red Tide. Do your homework.

Old 10-30-2018, 04:14 PM

craigiri, thx for your post and offering potential solutions, and understanding that many solutions are unachieveable. What can we do that is achievable in the here and now that doesn't depend upon anyone else?

In my lifetime, I've interacted with 3 very highly successful people. They listened for a while, then all 3 said the same thing...

"if you could do 3 things to reach your goal, without any outside help, or just my help, what would they be?" ALL 3 said that.

That is now my focus. I can't change the World, so I focus on what I can change. Actionable tasks.

Old 10-30-2018, 04:44 PM

60 posts, read 70,338 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FL dreaming View Post
Beware. I read reports of red tide in some east coast beaches. Don’t remember which ones.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area