Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area
 [Register]
Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area Manatee and Sarasota Counties
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-14-2018, 05:25 AM

14,949 posts, read 12,147,503 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by RustedFox View Post
The cognitive error is that "the economy would collapse". It would simply be different if the animal that is the snowbird never evolved. Again, you're arguing a tangential point.
The other reality ( seemingly not apparent to those who "snowbird" in Florida and assume who matters is like them, and the few year round locals are stupids just there to wait on snowbirds) is that the year round population in many parts of the state are more than sufficient to support an economy based on any number of industries, not just tourism. And they do.

Personally, I'm not so sure that the "current state of Florida, with its population of 21 million" ( and counting), is all that great for the state. Look at what it's doing to Florida's ecosystem.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-14-2018, 05:35 AM

14,394 posts, read 11,245,044 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ndcairngorm View Post
Yep. I'm a snowbird and while it's pretty quiet around our complex, I dread the January/February influx of grandchildren - with their children - who take over the place and bring the noise level up tens of decibels while dealing (or not dealing) with said grandchildren and monopolizing the pool, etc.

We don't drive on the Florida roads because it's a jungle out there! Most of the terrorizers seem to me to be about 25-35 years old.
Road rage is the worst with people in their 20’s during season. I’m in my 40’s and can empathize but I control it better...

Clogged roads, people who don’t know where they are going and aren’t in a rush to get there anyway, and also people who weave over the lines and routinely drive 10 under the limit.

The sounds of police and ambulance sirens at least 3 times a day, and wrecks beside the road with at least one senior involved.

Senior hits senior
Senior hits pole
Senior hits median
Senior hits cyclist
Senior hits motorbike

Old 08-14-2018, 05:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Travelassie View Post
seemingly not apparent to those who "snowbird" in Florida and assume who matters is like them, and the few year round locals are stupids just there to wait on snowbirds(
This. 100%.

Good snowbird = realizing that everything in the economy does not solely revolve around their wishes and wants.

Don’t get me wrong, without seasonal residents the local economies would not support the same amount of restaurants and stores, but the entitlement aspect of many that assume the entire state is essentially a 55 and over community is amazing.

This is made clear when HOA communities - unrestricted ones - try and illegally limit what resident children can do.

Old 08-14-2018, 05:54 AM

20,102 posts, read 9,015,533 times
meh, this phenomenon is not endemic to Florida. Applies to any area where seasonal populations swell.

Old 08-14-2018, 06:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by skeddy View Post
meh, this phenomenon is not endemic to Florida. Applies to any area where seasonal populations swell.
I’m sure, but FL likely has more snowbirds, tourists and seasonal residents than anywhere else.

Old 08-14-2018, 07:57 AM

14,949 posts, read 12,147,503 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by craigiri View Post
Hey, you finally activated one of my major initiatives.

The US could save MILLIONS of gallons of gas per year if we each only filled our tanks 1/4 or 1/2 of the way. Why? Simple, there is much less weight in the car and therefore the MPG is higher. The difference may be in the order of 1% or so, but thing of 1% of all the gasoline in the USA.

140 BILLION gallons a year.

So at 1%, the savings is 1.4 BILLION gallons a year. At 1/2% it's 700 million gallons a year.

Unfortunately, unless many of us do the same it's not as much saved....
Some of us prefer to drive fuel efficient vehicles, combine trips, drive in the most fuel efficient way possible. I figure that will save more fuel than filling one's gas hog 1/4 or 1/2 full.

Old 08-14-2018, 11:57 AM

3,217 posts, read 2,431,190 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nancy in Nokomis View Post
These posts are very entertaining - well - now that we have black water and dead creatures all around us I do not think we will be having a big snowbird season - might even miss them a little - I have been talking to local business owners and they all say it is very slow - even for non-season
They'll be back because they have rented a year or more in advance and also by the time winter comes around the red tide will be gone (btw there is red tide up in New England as well).

Old 08-14-2018, 02:02 PM

20,955 posts, read 8,672,766 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthofHere View Post
They'll be back because they have rented a year or more in advance and also by the time winter comes around the red tide will be gone (btw there is red tide up in New England as well).
Not red tide.
Red seaweed. Not dangerous....BUT

100% man made....DNA traced it back to Europe..and then Asia. Turns out Ships brought it here in their ballast tanks.

I am here right now and have been for 11 years (at the coast). I don't think I ever saw a dead fish....that wasn't killed by a seagull or hawk.

Old 08-14-2018, 02:14 PM

20,955 posts, read 8,672,766 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Travelassie View Post
The other reality ( seemingly not apparent to those who "snowbird" in Florida and assume who matters is like them, and the few year round locals are stupids just there to wait on snowbirds) is that the year round population in many parts of the state are more than sufficient to support an economy based on any number of industries, not just tourism. And they do.

Personally, I'm not so sure that the "current state of Florida, with its population of 21 million" ( and counting), is all that great for the state. Look at what it's doing to Florida's ecosystem.
Hmmm........I'm not doubting there are industries...BUT

"Tourism makes up one of the largest sectors of the state economy, with nearly 1.4 million people employed in the tourism industry in 2016"

That doesn't include Real Estate related to 2nd and 3rd Homes and the Snowbirds who end up there full time. We can add a million or more easily.at yo

Then - we have to do away with a lot of the fishing industry on the W. Coast (pollution).

Much of the Construction (600,000+ jobs) is based on snowbirds and tourists...
Over 100 million visitors.....a year. Again, visitors probably do not include homeowners.....

You can claim what you like, but Florida is already in the bottom 1/2 as far as per capita income and the removal of 2-4 million jobs (or more) would definitely cause massive shocks.

That would be - easily - 1/3 of the workforce losing their jobs. No way Florida could deal with it. Not even close.

Old 08-14-2018, 03:39 PM

3,650 posts, read 9,503,710 times
markjames68 - what you said is so true - I am older but I still have youngish children - we went out to eat and with all the drunk, fat, disgusting snowbirds loudly cursing - they did not care there were children at the next table - just plain trash
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area