Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area
 [Register]
Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area Manatee and Sarasota Counties
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-25-2018, 05:45 PM

2 posts, read 1,881 times

Advertisements

Hi folks,

Anyone here successful in marketing their vacation rental outside of VRBO and airbnb? There are soooooo many properties on those sites that it is *really* hard to gain traction.

I live in Texas full-time, but we have a family condo near Siesta Key. In order to offset our costs, we'd love to have more folks renting short term.

Would love your ideas.

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-26-2018, 11:25 AM

87 posts, read 103,979 times
I'm going to base my answer as a renter. I've used VRBO and it all comes down to price, and photos, and a very good description of your property, and area. I've rented a couple of places and checked the area as well as the building the property is located. Good pictures are key. Price should be in line with condition of property and furniture and area. Good Luck .

Old 08-26-2018, 12:12 PM

2,558 posts, read 2,903,941 times
There are a bunch of sites out there but the best option outside of VRBO/Airbnb but none will get you the rentals that these two sites do, not even close! Your best bet is to have you a web site and Facebook Page for your VR. I'm sure in your area there are Facebook rental groups you can join.
Two years ago we were 90% VRBO, this year we are 65%, already for 2019 we are 40% booked with only one being from VRBO. We really try to concentrate on our repeat renters by offering them a 10% discount off of our rates any time of the year. We also work on our reviews and providing our guests a positive experience with us. This is the best combination you can offer.
At some point a viable option might pop up but right now, in spite of what some of these listing sites claim, there is nothing. Your best bet is to see if there is some local rental site as in our area Emerald Coast By Owner is gaining some traction.
As snoop said, it comes down to price, pictures, cleanliness, and REVIEWS. In addition, on VRBO following their rules will gain you a higher sort order which certainly helps. When playing in someone else sandbox, YOU MUST play by their rules!

Old 08-26-2018, 05:14 PM

24,407 posts, read 26,951,108 times
You dont need anything just make sure your pictures are professionally taken and edited and your description and offerings are on point. I’m booked pretty much 99% the entire year. I don’t so ANY advertising. If you are brand new, make your rate low to get people in so reviews come in. Once you have reviews, you are good to go.

Old 08-27-2018, 10:26 AM

25,731 posts, read 12,808,029 times
I've rented through airbnb and VRBO 20+ times. Prior to that, we used a Realtor/Property Management company in Hilton Head every year for 10 years. I cant think of any other ways to market shot term rentals. Nobody looks at classified sections of newspapers. Does Craigslist have vacation rental section? If so, that would likely attract a younger clientele.

Old 08-30-2018, 09:21 AM

4,895 posts, read 14,139,157 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by carsonheim View Post
Hi folks,

Anyone here successful in marketing their vacation rental outside of VRBO and airbnb? There are soooooo many properties on those sites that it is *really* hard to gain traction.

I live in Texas full-time, but we have a family condo near Siesta Key. In order to offset our costs, we'd love to have more folks renting short term.

Would love your ideas.

Thanks!

Check your condominium documents with respect to short term rentals; think fines.

Old 08-30-2018, 05:38 PM

747 posts, read 847,767 times
Find someone local to do photography, walk thrus, and design a FB/Instagram etc page with someone local updating etc.

<~~offering for very reasonable fee

Old 09-05-2018, 05:51 AM

529 posts, read 1,008,887 times
Have to agree with the other responses, VRBO and AirBnb should be all that you need. Good pictures and an accurate description will get you positive reviews which will bring in more rentals. I have a place on SK that I list on VRBO and all my expenses are covered by the rental $. I used to list on AirBnb but had a ton of weekend only requests and I try to avoid that crowd by enforcing a 4 day minimum stay.

Remember, if you are going to offer short-term (seasonal) rentals you must register with both the state and SRQ county. You will have to pay monthly taxes (12-13%, can't remember) on your rentals and SRQ county sends out paper forms that must be mailed along with your check. The state portion can be done online. You will need to register as a biz and pay a yearly fee of $14 or so to operate.

None of that is required if your rental term is longer than 6mo 1d.

Old 09-12-2018, 05:32 PM

37,315 posts, read 59,862,293 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdm_ad View Post
Have to agree with the other responses, VRBO and AirBnb should be all that you need. Good pictures and an accurate description will get you positive reviews which will bring in more rentals. I have a place on SK that I list on VRBO and all my expenses are covered by the rental $. I used to list on AirBnb but had a ton of weekend only requests and I try to avoid that crowd by enforcing a 4 day minimum stay.

Remember, if you are going to offer short-term (seasonal) rentals you must register with both the state and SRQ county. You will have to pay monthly taxes (12-13%, can't remember) on your rentals and SRQ county sends out paper forms that must be mailed along with your check. The state portion can be done online. You will need to register as a biz and pay a yearly fee of $14 or so to operate.

None of that is required if your rental term is longer than 6mo 1d.

Has anyone had any discussion with the person who does your taxes about the new tax law and real estate income?
Do any of you expect to see your income from rentals make a difference in your income tax filing--either Pro or con--because of the new tax law...

I am thinking that my daughter and her husband who rent out the condo he owned before they were married likely need to stop using the management company they have that screens renters and takes care of cleaning and other problems (he doesn't want to be the number they call) or they are going to be paying at a different level for any income made from this unit...
I am not sure it even depends on if they make a profit or not...
His COA only allows 3+mo rentals

Last edited by loves2read; 09-12-2018 at 05:50 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area
View detailed profiles of: