U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area
 [Register]
Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area Manatee and Sarasota Counties
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-06-2018, 03:15 PM

55 posts, read 15,684 times

Advertisements

Iím a very active almost 60-year old, but I can find my own fun. I donít want to live in a 24-hour resort with a full-time lifestyle director, lavish clubhouses, fitness centers, numerous pools, tennis courts, bocce ball, playgrounds, basketball courts, soccer fields, etc. Iíve been paying for a manned gate and other amenities in an upscale community that mainly caters to families for a long time, and Iím sick of it. Iíd love to find a simple, small and quaint community in Sarasota or possibly Venice without all that stuff.

I truly feel this is an expensive fad that baby boomers are going to regret because of the extremely high fees and those fees will be even higher when the builder is done building, which is difficult to budget for. I donít feel people will use the amenities like they anticipate, and theyíll use them less as they age. My guess is thatís why I see so many homes being listed that are only two years old in these types of communities. Iíd rather go to concerts, a park, senior center, library or pay minimal fees for a gym, yoga or other activities outside my neighborhood when I want to use them, versus being forced via an HOA fee. My preference is to buy a new construction home in a simple community, but even resale homes seem to be a challenge in or around Sarasota unless I buy a much older home that was built before builders started exclusively concentrating on these resort-style communities.

The only thing that has kept me from selling my house in Orlando and moving to Southwest Florida is because I canít find a new construction community with low HOA fees and without all the amenities like they used to build. Iíve also looked online at other small towns on Floridaís Gulf Coast only to become even more frustrated.

I was able to find ONE community that almost worked that was being built by a larger builder. I didnít buy there because I unfortunately heard road noise and later found itís in Evacuation Level B. It only has ponds, a walking trail and less than 75 homes for a more intimate feel. It also has a simple gated entrance (not manned) and a very small heated community pool and cabana, which Iíd rather not have either, but itís the closest thing I could find to what Iím looking for. There are no CDD fees, and the monthly HOA dues were reasonable, which included the yards being completely maintained and irrigated by the community. Itís not age restricted, but itís all single family one-story floor plans from 1400 to 1800 square feet. The majority of people who live there are retirees or empty nesters. The models started at that time (in 2016) from the low to mid $200ís and are lovely, including some that were two bedrooms and a den, two bathrooms and shingle versus tile roof which is what I want. Iíd love to find a community similar to that one, but itís virtually impossible today. Iíve also looked at small builders, but it seems they build on scattered lots in flood and evacuation zones or they have other undesirable traits like the houses have well water and septic tanks and power lines in the yard.

Iím sure that there are many other folks in my situation so if anyone has any suggestions for someone like me who doesnít want to buy in an amenity-rich community in Sarasota or possibly Venice, Iíd be very grateful. Iím originally from Bradenton and want to move to a nearby area after being gone for a couple of decades. However, Iíve been very frustrated trying to find what I want. Iíd be very happy if I could find a reputable builder who is building quality single-family homes in a regular non-gated and safe neighborhood in a nice area with low fees that isnít overloaded with amenities. My price range is low $300kís max, and Iíd prefer just a small annual HOA fee for management services to make sure I donít have a hot mess living next to me. Iíll pay someone to maintain my lawn although Iíd love to xeriscape. While a 55+ community would be great, Iím not even necessarily thinking of this as a ďretirementĒ home although thatís what it would end up being. Iím just simply looking for any new communities with no or minimal amenities like walking trails, as well as the other attributes in my thread. Thank you in advance for any feedback you can give me. Iím hoping it will help me finally figure out what to do.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-06-2018, 05:29 PM

7,574 posts, read 2,221,717 times
Buy an empty lot in a non-HOA neighborhood and build. Find a realtor and be very specific about your dealbreakers. New developments will always have an HOA.

Think outside the box.

Old 09-06-2018, 08:37 PM

3,230 posts, read 4,614,686 times
There are a few builders offering new construction in our area in communities with little or no amenities. These would be the closest matches to your list:

Ridge at Crossing Creek - 34203
Off of State Rd 70 just west of I-75 in Bradenton
Builder is Neal Communities
shingle roofs
community pool & small cabana
$300/mo
It's getting close to being built out but there are still some decent lots left.

Moss Creek - 34203
Just south of State Rd 70 and west of Lockwood Ridge Rd.
Builder is David Weekly Homes
Brand new, they don't have the models open quite yet. Apparently have already sold some homes though because last count there were 8 others going up.
shingle roofs
community pool & cabana (not started yet)
$350/quarter

Osprey Landing - 34212
east of I-75 and just north of Lakewood Ranch off State Rd 64
Builder is Lennar
shingle roofs
lawn maintenance but no other amenities
$130/mo

Garden Village - 34232
off of Cattlemen Rd just south of Fruitville Rd (west of I-75)
Builder is D R Horton
brand new, models weren't open as of last week, will be 170 homes total
shingle roofs
no amenities
$60/mo
(can't say I am a big fan of the location, mainly commercial all around it, but they will sell for the prices and low HOA fees)

The other option if you want new construction but not in a community with a HOA is to look for spec homes by small builders. Those will be very hit or miss for locations as these builders buy up vacant lots where they can find them.

So there are some choices available.....

Old 09-06-2018, 08:55 PM

341 posts, read 140,322 times
10 years ago we drove all over (both coasts) in South Florida looking for what you describe. Very, very hard to find.
We finally did find it but was not easy. We wanted non-HOA newer home not requiring massive renovation AND wanted a 2 car garage.

Consider a condo tower in Sarasota, as new as possible, since the older ones will have maintenance issues. Like most HOA's the senior citizen owners never want to put money in the "reserve" account for future repairs since they may not be alive. Everything is pay-as-you-go which means you never know when you'll get assessed for lotsa money for emergency deferred maintenance.

Good luck with your search.

Old 09-07-2018, 03:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by newtovenice View Post
Buy an empty lot in a non-HOA neighborhood and build. Find a realtor and be very specific about your dealbreakers. New developments will always have an HOA.

Think outside the box.
Thanks for your suggestion newtovenice. If I knew that I wouldn’t be living next to a mess, I’d love to not be in an HOA because mine can be a royal pain! Since there’s no guarantee, I guess I prefer an HOA because it makes people keep their properties maintained. The problem is I only want to pay a small fee for management services and not be locked into paying thousands of dollars a year for fancy amenities that I can pay for if I choose outside of my community. There are also so many free festivals and fun events going on all the time across every county in Florida, and I can meet people who have the same interests as me on Meetup.com, Nextdoor, etc. After many years of subsidizing families to have extensive amenities where I currently live, I now want to spend my money on things I can enjoy and only when or if I want to use them.

Old 09-07-2018, 03:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunshine Rules View Post
There are a few builders offering new construction in our area in communities with little or no amenities. These would be the closest matches to your list:

Ridge at Crossing Creek - 34203
Off of State Rd 70 just west of I-75 in Bradenton
Builder is Neal Communities
shingle roofs
community pool & small cabana
$300/mo
It's getting close to being built out but there are still some decent lots left.

Moss Creek - 34203
Just south of State Rd 70 and west of Lockwood Ridge Rd.
Builder is David Weekly Homes
Brand new, they don't have the models open quite yet. Apparently have already sold some homes though because last count there were 8 others going up.
shingle roofs
community pool & cabana (not started yet)
$350/quarter

Osprey Landing - 34212
east of I-75 and just north of Lakewood Ranch off State Rd 64
Builder is Lennar
shingle roofs
lawn maintenance but no other amenities
$130/mo

Garden Village - 34232
off of Cattlemen Rd just south of Fruitville Rd (west of I-75)
Builder is D R Horton
brand new, models weren't open as of last week, will be 170 homes total
shingle roofs
no amenities
$60/mo
(can't say I am a big fan of the location, mainly commercial all around it, but they will sell for the prices and low HOA fees)

The other option if you want new construction but not in a community with a HOA is to look for spec homes by small builders. Those will be very hit or miss for locations as these builders buy up vacant lots where they can find them.

So there are some choices available.....
I truly appreciate you taking the time to give me such great information. Osprey Landing is probably the closest to what I’m looking for since it doesn’t have a pool or amenities. Thanks for your honesty about the D R Horton location. You’re the kind of realtor I want! I’m actually not a fan of them regardless of where they build.

This probably sounds weird, but I grew up in Bradenton and really don’t want to move back there. I was hoping to find something close but far enough like in Sarasota or possibly Venice. It’s just amazing to me that I can’t find a simple and safe community in a nice area that has very low management fees and zero amenities other than maybe a walking trail. I’d prefer mostly smaller houses that are single story so I’m not surrounded by young and growing families like I am now. I wonder if there’s anything like that on the horizon or if maybe I finally need to accept that I should start looking elsewhere. I was really hoping that there are some quality small builders that would meet my needs, but I didn’t realize that they only build in non-HOA communities and that those are rare so thanks for that tip too.

Old 09-07-2018, 03:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by twinkletwinkle22 View Post
10 years ago we drove all over (both coasts) in South Florida looking for what you describe. Very, very hard to find.
We finally did find it but was not easy. We wanted non-HOA newer home not requiring massive renovation AND wanted a 2 car garage.

Consider a condo tower in Sarasota, as new as possible, since the older ones will have maintenance issues. Like most HOA's the senior citizen owners never want to put money in the "reserve" account for future repairs since they may not be alive. Everything is pay-as-you-go which means you never know when you'll get assessed for lotsa money for emergency deferred maintenance.

Good luck with your search.
Thanks for making me feel better and letting me know that I’m not the only person that wants what I want. I was really hoping I’d find out about a best kept secret in Sarasota or possibly Venice, but it sounds like it’s going to be impossible to find anywhere in Florida. You’ve also given me a new perspective on condo fees so thanks for your point of view, which never occurred to me. I never wanted to own one for several reasons, but even more so now because I wouldn’t like to be surprised with large special assessments.

Old 09-07-2018, 05:02 PM

830 posts, read 1,029,447 times
Have you looked at south gulf cove near rotonda in Charlotte county? Very nice new homes, HOA but no amenities. The gulf access lots are pricey but the non gulf access lots are affordable. You'll find many new $300k homes among the $600k gulf access homes.

Old 09-07-2018, 05:26 PM

7,574 posts, read 2,221,717 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LFJourney View Post
Thanks for your suggestion newtovenice. If I knew that I wouldnít be living next to a mess, Iíd love to not be in an HOA because mine can be a royal pain! Since thereís no guarantee, I guess I prefer an HOA because it makes people keep their properties maintained. The problem is I only want to pay a small fee for management services and not be locked into paying thousands of dollars a year for fancy amenities that I can pay for if I choose outside of my community. There are also so many free festivals and fun events going on all the time across every county in Florida, and I can meet people who have the same interests as me on Meetup.com, Nextdoor, etc. After many years of subsidizing families to have extensive amenities where I currently live, I now want to spend my money on things I can enjoy and only when or if I want to use them.
I get it, but you can never tell when/how much your HOA will increase. What's cheap one year can be expensive the next.

I prefer no HOA, been there, done that, no interest in it now. And if my neighbor's yard has 12 in grass? I don't care. You could probably offer to pay for lawn service for them, it'd be cheaper than an HOA fee.

Old 09-07-2018, 05:46 PM

2,111 posts, read 2,087,563 times
Lennar is building 49 new homes on Cattail Rd in Venice. Cattail is off Center Rd. The development is called Stoneybrook Landing. It's a single road. The parcel was originally part of Stoneybrook at Venice. Lennar broke off two parcels. One became Stoneywood Cove townhouses and the other sat undeveloped until this year.

Stoneybrook Landing won't have any amenities. They have nothing to do with Stoneybrook at Venice. I believe there will be an unmanned gate off Center Rd. I don't know if lawn maintenance is included. There are 7 homes being built now. Perhaps a Realtor can find more info for you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or