Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area
 [Register]
Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area Manatee and Sarasota Counties
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-14-2018, 12:00 PM

4,893 posts, read 14,099,399 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by beach43ofus View Post
Yes, the water is a big deal, but so is warm Winter weather. Don't underestimate that.
Warm winter weather containing dangerous spores; not good for the elderly nor the immune compromised.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-14-2018, 01:17 PM

85 posts, read 84,413 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nancy in Nokomis View Post
craigrl - we moved here with jobs and children - and the main reason we moved was for the Gulf and the beach - no other reason to stay here but now that we are established with jobs and school we have to
- I can understand why tourists would not want to come - they want to boat, fish, lay, play and swim in the Gulf - without that there is nothing really here.
I agree with you. I've been at Siesta Key for a week along with 5 other couples who have never been here. We have had this trip booked for a long time and had been keeping an eye on conditions before coming down. Things were starting to improve a little leading up to last week so we decided to give it a try anyhow. Well, conditions have been steadily worsening all week. Haven't been able to get in the water at all and yesterday the air was bad enough that we were all coughing. You are correct though...I love this area but without the ability to play in and around the water the area doesn't offer a whole lot more to me.

Old 09-14-2018, 02:11 PM

6,998 posts, read 4,444,821 times
I hope the red tide will translate into the ridiculously inflated rental prices moderating in the area. Might take a while for that to happen though....

Old 09-19-2018, 07:50 AM

13 posts, read 21,805 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by javafreak View Post
I agree with you. I've been at Siesta Key for a week along with 5 other couples who have never been here. We have had this trip booked for a long time and had been keeping an eye on conditions before coming down. Things were starting to improve a little leading up to last week so we decided to give it a try anyhow. Well, conditions have been steadily worsening all week. Haven't been able to get in the water at all and yesterday the air was bad enough that we were all coughing. You are correct though...I love this area but without the ability to play in and around the water the area doesn't offer a whole lot more to me.
As long as the French pastry shop is open downtown, I'm coming to Venice! Now, if it closes you've got real problems!

Old 09-20-2018, 08:23 AM

3,650 posts, read 9,470,632 times
I do know the warm weather is a big draw - but there are other places to go in the US for warm weather - the Gulf is the main attraction for many but
I did notice my snowbird neighbors are returning and in my morning commute from Nokomis to Lakewood Ranch I notice more traffic already. So they may be coming back - do not know what they will do without the beach.

Old 10-17-2018, 06:25 AM

118 posts, read 65,301 times
My wife and I started going to the Tampa area about 15 years ago, after exploring the state, we settled down and most of our recreation involved the beaches for swimming and surf fishing. We have watched the red tide increase in the last 5 years, and the beach fishing has been seriously depleted. Five years ago, I could catch a seafood dinner or two in an hour, watching others up and down the beach hauling in all kinds of fish. That is all but over. Last winter I made several trips to the Sarasota beaches to fish, and got skunked most of the time. The Red Tide is definitely having a negative effect on recreational activities in the gulf. I have the feeling that its just the beginning. Well, in a couple weeks I'll be wetting a line in the gulf, we'll see.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area