U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area
 [Register]
Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area Manatee and Sarasota Counties
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-03-2008, 09:39 AM

1,999 posts, read 6,354,830 times
Question Difference between Sarasota-Bradenton-Venice?

Since I cannot get over there right now and I can only pick up so much from the internet, can someone please tell me the difference between the cities of Sarasota, Bradenton and Venice? For instance, Sarasota is loaded with retirees and many single or Bradenton is all retirees but cheaper or Venice is mostly married people and middle class (NOTE: I am making up stuff as I have no idea what is there). Can someone just bottom line it about each city?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-03-2008, 11:29 AM

1,426 posts, read 2,983,469 times
Bradenton - nickname "world's largest trailer park" - this mostly refers to the west side and downtown. Out of the 3 towns, Bradenton is the most rednecky. It's VERY blue collar. Cheapest out of the three.
Sarasota - very artsy fartsy. Mostly conservative/Christian with some liberal patches here and there. Not as many bad areas as Bradenton. Bradenton and Sarasota probably have an equivalent amount of retirees (no matter what anyone else says). I have lived in both towns, and both get nasty during season. Sarasota has a good percentage of snobs, Bradenton does not.
Venice - ENORMOUS amount of retirees. The joke is, people in their 50s/60s move to Sarasota and their parents move to Venice. Venice closes at 9 pm. It's nice for the beaches. Very conservative.

Old 04-03-2008, 11:39 AM

8,192 posts, read 19,069,847 times
I will agree with the previous post, except it is the East side of Bradenton you want to avoid. I live in NW Bradenton, trust me it is the nicer side of town.

Old 04-03-2008, 12:57 PM

10,029 posts, read 16,012,307 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJDevil View Post
Bradenton - nickname "world's largest trailer park" - this mostly refers to the west side and downtown. Out of the 3 towns, Bradenton is the most rednecky. It's VERY blue collar. Cheapest out of the three.
Sarasota - very artsy fartsy. Mostly conservative/Christian with some liberal patches here and there. Not as many bad areas as Bradenton. Bradenton and Sarasota probably have an equivalent amount of retirees (no matter what anyone else says). I have lived in both towns, and both get nasty during season. Sarasota has a good percentage of snobs, Bradenton does not.
Venice - ENORMOUS amount of retirees. The joke is, people in their 50s/60s move to Sarasota and their parents move to Venice. Venice closes at 9 pm. It's nice for the beaches. Very conservative.
I agree this is a pretty fair assessment. I also agree that the NW part of Bradenton is the nicest part - I like the ambiance of this town, but it has "good-ole-boy" government, lots of retirees and rising crime (mostly near downtown and east.

Sarasota definitely has the "designer label" with price to match, and can be "artsy fartsy." I think it's better now than when I lived there as far as more younger people there (it was ALL old, old, old when I first moved there 20 years ago). Most expensive of the three and the most traffic especially in season.

Venice has one of the oldest demographics in the state. Nice, clean town, but closes up early as noted above.

Old 04-03-2008, 01:31 PM

1,426 posts, read 2,983,469 times
Wow agreement, thanks!! I did delivery in Bradenton and that is true, NW area is very nice. I'm thinking of the areas just west of downtown, over to Blake Hospital, and parts of Bayshore (not El Con of course). Just east of downtown is kinda crappy....I was thinking east towards the interstate, where all those new developments are.

Now Lakewood Ranch, that's another story. I think that's been growing by leaps & bounds and is something to look into. I don't know if it's as pricey as Sarasota?

I really like the airport area, Desoto Road to the interstate. I believe most of the 34243 zip is Manatee County with a Sarasota mailing address.

Old 04-04-2008, 07:02 AM

172 posts, read 270,284 times
Default Venice, Bradenton, Sarasota

I never venture up to Bradenton, so I cannot comment. There is an old saying: Venice is where our grandparents go to retire; Sarasota is where our parents go to retire. :-) However, Sota has a great young vibe too. Check out any event at New College, USF-Sarasota, or the Ringling College. Quick examples are: New Music New College, All Power to Imagination- The Ivory Tower Meets Grassroots(THIS WEEKEND!), Ringling's Avant Garde, Earth Dance. Or, head to Siesta Key Village and go bar hopping- Daquiri Deck, Beach Club, Rhino, Gilligans, Speakeasy, Hub, Salty Dog and you will find a young vibe. You can also hang at Esca, Ceviche, Gator Club, or the Five-o, Downtown for a great time too. We have a progressive, community radio station: WSLR. There are a lot of conservatives, but thankfully, an equal number of Progressives. In Sarasota, there is spirituial tradition for all: we have 2 Buddhist centers, several Unity churches, 6 Yoga studios, 1 Tai Chi studio as well as many classes elsewhere, Humanistic Judiasm center, an Ayurvedic College, an Acupuncture College, 2 Massage Schools, a great Sufi community and center, Sunday Drum circle, etc. I hope this helps.... :-)

Old 04-05-2008, 04:59 PM

49 posts, read 129,931 times
I beg to differ with a couple of NJ Devil thoughts. There are some great places in West and NW bradenton. Basically, I would state anything west of 26th st to the beaches is pretty safe. Also anything East of I75.

Old 04-07-2008, 10:47 AM

25,444 posts, read 6,989,961 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tropics View Post
I beg to differ with a couple of NJ Devil thoughts. There are some great places in West and NW bradenton. Basically, I would state anything west of 26th st to the beaches is pretty safe. Also anything East of I75.
I beg to differ with a couple of "tropics" thoughts- 26th Street to 34th Street is in the "Crime Box", I don't consider that area "safe", if you want safe- it's probably 43rd Street to the Beaches, with a few exceptions. If you want really safe, stay out of Bradenton, go to Sarasota area. Happy Hunting, or whatever you're doing!

Old 04-07-2008, 07:36 PM

49 posts, read 129,931 times
I don't support 26th St to 34th ST North of Cortez as a crime box? North of Manatee is an exceptionally beautiful area, also there are some great neighborhoods off of 43rd North of Cortez. I grew up in NW Bradenton and now live in W Bradenton and enjoy my old neighborhood with great neighbors. I have always felt to stay North of Cortez and West of 26th st.

Old 04-08-2008, 07:02 AM

1,939 posts, read 3,808,516 times
I live in Bradenton, not in the greatest area, we're looking to move out East. I have to say East bradenton is very nice- East of 75 is nice. Im not a fan of CDD communities and I would look into this before looking into Lakewood Ranch. CDD communities are not for me so Id run the other way. Sarasota is nice too, but from what I find, you get less for your money, it also has more of a city feel; more to do, but more traffic too. NOT older like the stereotype portrays. They get their share of snowbirds but they have a family demographic as well-- I don't know much about Venice--
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area