Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area
 [Register]
Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area Manatee and Sarasota Counties
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-21-2009, 03:48 PM

1,118 posts, read 4,757,740 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by smiledoc1 View Post
I spent a looooooong time monitoring threads before visting. It was the wisest investment I made. Next to Google
Good going doc! (Funny, too! )
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-02-2009, 11:30 AM

17 posts, read 27,251 times
Coming down again for a vist, can anyone tell me about Myakka River State Park? We love the beaches, etc. but wondered if this was something worth visiting?

Old 09-06-2009, 07:11 AM

23 posts, read 88,042 times
my husband and i live in miami. in our 50's and thinking of future. we both still work here, so we are looking to buy now while prices are low and are slowly looking. he is a Ringling graduate and we've always been drawn to Sarasota more than anywhere. if winters disappeared, i would move up north, but sad to say, not that much global warming yet. thus, we are staying in Florida. i wondered if you still feel the same way about Sarasota after living there for over a year? we are beginning to look and the prices (to us) are just so feasible for retirement. taxes seem a little high (remember, we've lived in our house for over 20 years and our taxes are $1500/year. if we buy now, we're not sure we can take our tax base with us, i haven't read into the law. we would try to rent the house out for 5 years (and NOT fix it up) and do not want an HOA or a "little box" neighborhood. my husband is a designer and cabinetmaker and we have fixed up all our homes ourselves. any opinions out there on buying now and renting out? any opinions on our plan? good or bad? thanks.

Old 09-06-2009, 07:47 AM

3,549 posts, read 6,664,095 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkbmpb View Post
Coming down again for a vist, can anyone tell me about Myakka River State Park? We love the beaches, etc. but wondered if this was something worth visiting?
If it's your first trip down, Myakka is interesting. Lots of gators, and if you go down the river you can see wild hogs. If you like to hike there are something like 40 miles of trails there, but there isn't much tree coverage on much of the trail system.

Old 09-06-2009, 08:42 AM

1,008 posts, read 2,634,984 times
Also look at the new Park on SR 64 which is just as good

Old 11-17-2009, 06:00 PM

249 posts, read 440,639 times
hi SmileDoc,

It is my very first message here, and I wanted to tell you how much I appreciated your point of view. Actually I registered especially to answer your message

So far I have read several sites... and saw many negative posts. So it is good to see some smiles around.

I am planning to relocate to Florida, I am a bit older than you, but not in my mind, and if it is ok with you I will send you a PM.

I know and like Fort Lauderdale, Naples... and Sarasota.

Thank you very much

Old 11-17-2009, 06:42 PM

414 posts, read 1,245,467 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Allwyna View Post
hi SmileDoc,

It is my very first message here, and I wanted to tell you how much I appreciated your point of view. Actually I registered especially to answer your message

So far I have read several sites... and saw many negative posts. So it is good to see some smiles around.

I am planning to relocate to Florida, I am a bit older than you, but not in my mind, and if it is ok with you I will send you a PM.

I know and like Fort Lauderdale, Naples... and Sarasota.

Thank you very much
Allwyna,
Thank you for your kind words.
My perspective is just that, my perspective. Since my kids are grown, schools are not an issue for me. Employment is also not an issue for me. But I do understand that others who are in a different position than me would have a different view.
Please feel free to PM me. I will try my best to answer your questions. BigHouse and SoFlGal are also excellent resources.
As for Ft. Lauderdale, there is a HUGE difference between the east coast of FL and the west coast.

Best,
Smiledoc1

Old 12-05-2009, 08:38 PM

7 posts, read 13,619 times
Default Looking for Contemporary Younger Church

Just moved to Venice but can't seem to find a church where there is a younger crowd. Since we are willing to drive to sarasota, I was wondering if anyone knows of a non denominational church that meets the following criteria:
1. 1 hour service 10am or later
2. 30 min. of rocking contemporary christian music.
3. 30 minutes of scripture. Not looking for skits or lessons on finances or marriage- 30 min of reading scripture from the bible.
4. Relaxed atmosphere where dress is casual

It seems as though everyone is out recruiting people to visit their church. My family and I have visited several but can't seem to find one we can call home. The church doesn't have to be large or even located in a church at all (schools or other meeting places are ok as well)

If anyone has any suggestions please let me know. My family and I would like to visit a church in Sarasota tomorrow. Thanks so much for the help and God Bless!

Lance

Old 12-06-2009, 10:23 AM

1,008 posts, read 2,634,984 times
The Bridge meets at Laurel Nokomis school on Laurel Rd

Old 12-06-2009, 02:35 PM

39 posts, read 134,726 times
My husband and I have been considering relocating from South Florida to either Vero Beach or Sarasota. After conducting extensive research on both cities, the thing that has me concerned about Sarasota is its high crime rate. The crime statistics for Sarasota, a city with a population of around 55,000 seem to put it on par with the city we live in now in Broward County, that has a population of over 145,000. Can anyone from Sarasota please elaborate a bit on that? It appears to me at the moment that Vero Beach would be a much safer place to reside, but you can't always tell what's REALLY going on just by short visits to the areas in question. And I'm fully aware that things can happen no matter WHERE you are and no city in the world is 100% crime free, but we would like a respite from the constant tension of living in a place with higher crime and neverending traffic.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area