Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area
 [Register]
Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area Manatee and Sarasota Counties
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-01-2019, 06:29 AM

25,731 posts, read 12,808,029 times

Advertisements

From my own personal observation, there seems to be a LOT more traffic volume this season versus the prior Two seasons. Yesterday was insane around Sprouts & Total Wine & More. They were having a grand opening there for a new retailer, and I heard cars blowing their horns every 5 minutes, or so. Finding a parking spot was challenging.

I won't even attempt to pull into Detweilers parking lot in Venice along 41.

I'd be interested in learning what others perceive. Do you think it's busier, or am I off-base?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-01-2019, 07:21 AM

4,895 posts, read 14,139,157 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beach43ofus View Post
From my own personal observation, there seems to be a LOT more traffic volume this season versus the prior Two seasons. Yesterday was insane around Sprouts & Total Wine & More. They were having a grand opening there for a new retailer, and I heard cars blowing their horns every 5 minutes, or so. Finding a parking spot was challenging.

I won't even attempt to pull into Detweilers parking lot in Venice along 41.

I'd be interested in learning what others perceive. Do you think it's busier, or am I off-base?
It's the same as it always is; keep moving nothing new.

Old 02-01-2019, 07:24 AM

I just read that Visit Sarasota said tourism $'s increased Six Tenths of a percent 2018 over 2017 for Sarasota County...Red Tide and all!

Now, 6 tenths of a percent isn't much growth at all, and I'm sure its less growth from prior years, but still, it grew. From reading all the gloom and doom posts in the Red Tide topic forum, one would have never projected ANY growth, but instead would have projected a massive drop. Well, that never materialized on a broad basis in Sarasota County. . I underline these words because I'm sure doomers will reply w/ links showing massive hotel tax dropoffs.

Tourism revenue growth = more traffic, but to me, the 2018 vs 2017 traffic increase was impossible to notice. It seemed flat, which Six Tenth's of a percent essentially is.

However, 2019 versus 2018 & 2017 seems way up to me. I'm seeing lot more cars on the road right now, and if I'm right, tourism revenues are exploding 2019 over 2018.

Old 02-01-2019, 08:57 AM

37 posts, read 33,133 times
First, it's not really "tourism revenue", it's mostly "seasonal revenue". Sarasota/Manatee's population is NOT a tourist economy a la , say, an Orlando, or Panama City Beach. From my perspective, and I'm not anywhere NEAR a "newcomer" or a "recent transplant", Vehicle traffic in my area of north Sarasota/southeastern Manatee is higher now than I've seen in way over a DECADE > east to west corridors e.g. Fruitville, Clark, University (constant), SR 70 (dramatic increase, SR 64 (dramatic increase), and north to south corridors e.g. Interstate 75 (dramatic), US 301 (awful), US 41 (dramatic from DT SRQ to Manateel Avenue), Honore, Cattlemen, LAKEWOOD RANCH BLVD (dramatic increase), Lorraine RD, even Upper Manatee-Tampa Road. In short, the vehicular traffic increase has been obvious - take special note of the increase in commercial vehicles.

Old 02-01-2019, 09:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MobileMax View Post
First, it's not really "tourism revenue", it's mostly "seasonal revenue". Sarasota/Manatee's population is NOT a tourist economy a la , say, an Orlando, or Panama City Beach. From my perspective, and I'm not anywhere NEAR a "newcomer" or a "recent transplant", Vehicle traffic in my area of north Sarasota/southeastern Manatee is higher now than I've seen in way over a DECADE > east to west corridors e.g. Fruitville, Clark, University (constant), SR 70 (dramatic increase, SR 64 (dramatic increase), and north to south corridors e.g. Interstate 75 (dramatic), US 301 (awful), US 41 (dramatic from DT SRQ to Manateel Avenue), Honore, Cattlemen, LAKEWOOD RANCH BLVD (dramatic increase), Lorraine RD, even Upper Manatee-Tampa Road. In short, the vehicular traffic increase has been obvious - take special note of the increase in commercial vehicles.
I just drove up I-75 from North Port area to UTC, and it was crowded but not crazy, and yes more commercial traffic for sure.

Old 02-01-2019, 10:15 AM

333 posts, read 240,105 times
Just taking peoples advice on this is never going to be super accurate. The same way that everyone seems to think that their drivers are the worst, even though they usually are not.

Traffic this year feels similar to every other year.

As I've posted before, tourism revenue was down through December, but it may be back to normal now. So I guess it "felt" like it was down from September through December, and now feels "normal".

Old 02-01-2019, 11:25 AM

I think FHP would contend that traffic is not very similar to every other year at all. For example although the stats aren't published yet for 2018 for Sarasota County alone, their reported violations of most kinds increased by about 2000 from 2016 to 2017. Of course this is only one metric Incidents don't necessarily comport with vehicluar numbers on the road, but there is a correlation of course.

Old 02-01-2019, 12:05 PM

[quote=kombuchaluchador;54314879]Just taking peoples advice on this is never going to be super accurate.

I believe in the opinions of posters in C-D a lot more than what I read in the media. Especially when there are 10+ opinions cited (decent sample size). Of course, I try to verify by other means, but verifying anything on the internet can be iffy. My trust factor is higher here than anywhere else, even amongst C-D'ers whose opinions I don't agree with.

Thx for your opinions on the traffic volume! I see it as a forecaster for economic activity.

Old 02-01-2019, 06:37 PM

6,864 posts, read 12,076,689 times
Florida has a net gain of 900 new residents every day.
Labor participation is the highest its been at 63+%
304,000 jobs created in January. They are driving to and from work or during work.
Average wages increased 3.2% during 2018
People have more money to spend. They are driving, vacationing, snowbirding,

Old 02-02-2019, 12:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by beach43ofus View Post
I just drove up I-75 from North Port area to UTC, and it was crowded but not crazy, and yes more commercial traffic for sure.
Commercial traffic around me has doubled even tripled in some cases of vehicles - FTL, LTTL, Delivery Van (read Amazon, FedEx, UPS), Uber, personal (read Pizza, DoorDash, GrubHub). These kinds of vehicular traffic is now off the chart compared to last year and year before.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area