U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area
 [Register]
Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area Manatee and Sarasota Counties
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-08-2019, 12:20 PM

12 posts, read 4,539 times

Advertisements

Hello....would love some feedback from parents whose kids attend this school. We will be relocating to Venice in 2021 with a High School aged daughter and am looking at this as an option. She would be starting as a junior. I am somewhat concerned about her not knowing anyone, and not having the opportunity to meet other students in the traditional sense. I'm also concerned about her missing out on the traditional High School traditions (homecoming, prom, etc).

I have gotten some preliminary information about the one they are opening in Venice this fall...but would love to hear from parents whose kids have attended the other locations. The good, the bad....etc. Thank you!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-08-2019, 03:01 PM

668 posts, read 166,956 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MOGal2020 View Post
Hello....would love some feedback from parents whose kids attend this school. We will be relocating to Venice in 2021 with a High School aged daughter and am looking at this as an option. She would be starting as a junior. I am somewhat concerned about her not knowing anyone, and not having the opportunity to meet other students in the traditional sense. I'm also concerned about her missing out on the traditional High School traditions (homecoming, prom, etc).

I have gotten some preliminary information about the one they are opening in Venice this fall...but would love to hear from parents whose kids have attended the other locations. The good, the bad....etc. Thank you!
My son went to SCF Collegiate School at the Main Campus. However, he did start in the middle of his 8th grade year. So, even at a place that is a bit untraditional, he did have something of a traditional experience. If your daughter is starting as a junior, then she'll have no "real" HS classes at the school. Her entire two years there will be spent taking college classes on the college campus. Her fellow students in any specific class could be anywhere from 16-99 years old.

As for meeting people: There will be some Collegiate School students in her college classes, but again they are in the general population, so to speak, with older students as well. They do have to attend an advising seminar once a week where she'd have opportunities to interact directly with her age-group peers. It is a small group, so she probably wouldn't have too much trouble there.

There is no true HS experience here, though. There's a couple of intramural level sports offered (can't remember which ones, though), but there will be no HS football games or pep rally type things, though. If your daughter is into sports, SCFCS students can compete for their local district school just as say a homeschooled student could. There are a couple of dances every year and there is a prom, although again it's a small group of kids so it doesn't exactly mimic a larger school's atmosphere.

On the positive side, though, your daughter will graduate HS with her AA degree. 60 credit hours and books at no cost to you/her. When my son was there, they were also offering full-tuition scholarships to finish your BA/BS at FGCU, USF-Sarasota/Mantee, and a couple of other smaller state universities. Not sure if this is going to continue as the original plan was to provide that benefit to the first 10 graduating classes. Even if not, you've still saved yourself several grand in tuition knocking out those gen ed credits from the 1st 2 years of college.

So, yes, if your daughter is mature and will pretty much be ready to start college in her junior year of HS, it is a great program.

Old 02-08-2019, 04:19 PM

Thank you! That is very helpful information. I guess I do have some time to research and think about it. From what I have heard FGCU offers students $5000/year towards tuition for 3 years beyond their AA degree.

Old 02-09-2019, 10:16 AM

5 posts, read 1,948 times
I wouldn't stress much over it, your daughter is a junior in high school, not a freshman.She will adapt probably better than you. SCF has a good program, but as I said, the "high school experience" isn't what is was 30 years ago. Programs, people and places have gotten far more flexible - so have the ways of "making friends". You're going to blink and she'll then be in "college" anyway - a whole other set of challenges and experiences - the "high school" thingy will forever be in the rear view mirror.

Old 03-18-2019, 07:34 AM

22 posts, read 3,992 times
Default Florida Bright Futures Scholarship

Hi there, I realize this is a bit old. Not sure where you are from but check out the Florida Bright Futures Scholarship. We, too, will be relocating to Venice with a HS junior (this June) and we plan for her to attend Venice High School in the IB program. She has been going to an IB school Freshman and Sophomore year so I was very excited Venice HS has that program. Although not the same as an Associate's degree, if the student gets an IB diploma a lot of schools will waive freshman year. Best of wishes for your move.

Old 03-22-2019, 04:45 PM

681 posts, read 394,771 times
It's called MCC.

Old 03-23-2019, 09:26 AM

5,249 posts, read 7,953,695 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Concert D Major View Post
It's called MCC.
It was called MCC but it is now SCF.

Old 03-23-2019, 06:17 PM

Thanks ccgirl2019! I am not familiar with an IB program. Besides colleges waiving freshman year...what are the benefits of the IB program over a regular diploma?

Old 03-24-2019, 12:41 PM

668 posts, read 166,956 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MOGal2020 View Post
Thanks ccgirl2019! I am not familiar with an IB program. Besides colleges waiving freshman year...what are the benefits of the IB program over a regular diploma?
First, the IB program doesn't just let one "waive freshman year." Just like AP classes, a student must take a test at the end of the course. Students must earn a certain score to receive college credit. For instance, at Florida state colleges/universities a 3 on the AP English & Lit test would give credit for ENC1101, while a 4 or 5 would give credit for both 1101 and 1102. Equivalent scores between AP and IB tests: IB 7=AP 5, IB 5 or 6=AP 4, and IB 4 or 5=AP 3. Your mileage will vary depending on university and major.

The IB program is not to be undertaken lightly. If interested, both you and your daughter would need to do a vast amount of research on it to see if it is right for her. The IB Diploma program is a very comprehensive, very intense program. There are a number of pros and cons to the program, which you can research by Googling it. Here's one discussion among parents:

https://talk.collegeconfidential.com...pros-cons.html

You also need to decide what you and your daughter's college plans are. For instance, are you going to be looking at highly selective, highly competitive universities, maybe even Ivy League level? If so, you'll want her to be taking "the most rigorous coursework available at her high school." At Venice High, that would be the IB Diploma program. Even taking a rigorous, full load of honors and AP classes would not be "the most rigorous available" at VHS, even though it could be at a different high school. And, that could be a strike against her if applying to highly competitive universities, even UF. If she's going to be looking at less selective state universities like USF, UCF, FSU, etc., she'll obviously derive less benefit from the IB program.

Just my own personal anecdote. My son did not go through the IB Diploma program. He was attending the IB middle school here, and we were planning to send him through the IB program. When we got an opportunity for admission to SCFCS, we researched extensively and talked long and hard about what to do. From my research, I heard from a number of students and parents who said that the IB program basically owns your life junior and senior year. Many had to give up some or all of their extracurriculars, after-school jobs, etc.

We had to evaluate the merits of both options and my son's chances of success in each option. He's a bright kid but doesn't really love school and has sub-optimal time-management and self-motivation skills. So, we decided his best chance of success would be at SCFCS.

Old 03-24-2019, 02:51 PM

Thank you! That is very helpful information. Do you know if SCFCS is the only avenue now to take college courses during high school? I thought I read that previously you could attend the high school and earn college credit there....but now you actually have to take them on the SCF campus?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area