U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area
 [Register]
Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area Manatee and Sarasota Counties
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-18-2019, 03:22 PM

77 posts, read 38,427 times

Advertisements

Thanks! I did a search again today and I do see 2 in LWR....both are at the top of our budget at 349,000 and 350,000. That could work, but with the other fees (CDDs, etc.) Id like to stay lower. But we are going to check out the area when we visit in a couple of weeks.
I search using Realtor and Zillow. We do have an agent and he has a search set up for us but itís for the Tampa area. Iím going to have him add Bradenton and Lakewood Ranch areas
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-18-2019, 05:34 PM

5,237 posts, read 7,917,444 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by slscott93 View Post
Thanks! I did a search again today and I do see 2 in LWR....both are at the top of our budget at 349,000 and 350,000. That could work, but with the other fees (CDDs, etc.) Id like to stay lower. But we are going to check out the area when we visit in a couple of weeks.
I search using Realtor and Zillow. We do have an agent and he has a search set up for us but itís for the Tampa area. Iím going to have him add Bradenton and Lakewood Ranch areas
Absolutely! Remember, the other websites get "99%+" of their info from the MLS so use your agent to get you the most up-to-date info for the properties you want to see. And, if you are finding listings on your own that are not showing up on your agent's search, let your agent know. Sometimes it's the result of a miscommunication or a misunderstanding but sometimes it is the result of a change in the buyer's criteria that the agent doesn't know about.

Old 02-20-2019, 11:39 AM

22 posts, read 55,177 times
When you go to Lakewood Ranch pay close attention to the lack of children playing. I have 4 children elementary through high school and my kids absolutely hated Lakewood Ranch. All of Lakewood Ranch has an overbearing HOA. For example, they will fine you for a basketball hoop, a child's bicycle left out overnight, a child's swing etc. My teenager calls it a retirement community and I would have to agree.

If you have children that you wish to keep in doors and / or only allow them to play in designated HOA approved areas then it's perfect. Do your due diligence. You don't want to make the same mistake I made which was "Oh man this all looks beautiful, the kids will love it."

We now live in the Gocio / Desoto Acres area of Sarasota. My kids can run, play, build things and just have fun and they love it and we're minutes from downtown and the beaches. I call Lakewood Ranch my 10 year mistake.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rtwIGDfaUyw

Old 02-20-2019, 12:51 PM

Thanks! I appreciate the info. I worried maybe Lakewood Ranch would be like that. My husband doesnít like HOAs and we feared a place like Lakewood Ranch would be an extreme, strict HOA. We DEFINITELY donít want a place where we canít have a basketball hoop, have to worry about leaving toys out, etc....and I donít want my kids sitting inside all day. Thatís a big part of why we want to move to Florida....to get away from the cold winters in PA and ďliveĒ our lives.....getting the kids outside, playing, going places, etc., rather than hibernating here all winter. We also looked at Fishhawk, and had the same worry....however, I did see a lot of families out when we were there. But, both Fishhawk and Lakewood Ranch are so far out and far from beaches....which is not what we want. Also, yes, we want good schools, but we donít want snobby, rich schools. And I hear Fishhawk can be that way. Iíve seen comments that said if you live in the older parts of Fishhawk, kids at the school will talk down to those kids. We definitely donít want that. Thatís why, if we move to the Tampa area, we may buy in Bloomingdale or better yet Palm Harbor (much closer to the beach). And if we move to Bradenton/Sarasota, Iíd like to find an area that has a lot of families, good schools, close to the beach would be nice, and not a strict HOA.

Old 02-20-2019, 01:06 PM

4,689 posts, read 12,264,048 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by slscott93 View Post
Thanks! I appreciate the info. I worried maybe Lakewood Ranch would be like that. My husband doesnít like HOAs and we feared a place like Lakewood Ranch would be an extreme, strict HOA. We DEFINITELY donít want a place where we canít have a basketball hoop, have to worry about leaving toys out, etc....and I donít want my kids sitting inside all day. Thatís a big part of why we want to move to Florida....to get away from the cold winters in PA and ďliveĒ our lives.....getting the kids outside, playing, going places, etc., rather than hibernating here all winter. We also looked at Fishhawk, and had the same worry....however, I did see a lot of families out when we were there. But, both Fishhawk and Lakewood Ranch are so far out and far from beaches....which is not what we want. Also, yes, we want good schools, but we donít want snobby, rich schools. And I hear Fishhawk can be that way. Iíve seen comments that said if you live in the older parts of Fishhawk, kids at the school will talk down to those kids. We definitely donít want that. Thatís why, if we move to the Tampa area, we may buy in Bloomingdale or better yet Palm Harbor (much closer to the beach). And if we move to Bradenton/Sarasota, Iíd like to find an area that has a lot of families, good schools, close to the beach would be nice, and not a strict HOA.
My sons were born & raised on Anna Maria Island. IMO, excellent place to raise children.

Old 02-20-2019, 01:14 PM

It would be my dream to live and raise my family on AMI, but I think itís a little above my price range. Haha!

Old 02-20-2019, 03:25 PM

2,227 posts, read 693,885 times
I saw a listing on one of the real estate web sites in The River Club which is off state road 70 just East of I-75 and the Wal Mart off that exit. Its a 4/3/3 home w/ pool for $375k. It has reasonable HOA w/ low fees. It's an older neighborhood who had zero affiliation w/ Lakewood Ranch's HOA. I lived there many Moons ago, and loved it.

Old 02-20-2019, 03:38 PM

3,132 posts, read 4,450,778 times
Manatee county schools are a mixed bag of ratings. To get better ratings on all 3 school systems (elementary, middle & high) will take you more into eastern county neighborhoods where many of the neighborhoods (especially the newer ones) will have restrictions on what you can and can't do in regards to the exterior of your home.

For older home neighborhoods with higher school ratings, you might venture further south into Sarasota county. I can think of quite a few neighborhoods that would offer you more of what you're searching for.

Some suggestions: Lake Sarasota, Gulf Gate & Gulf Gate Woods (Gulf Gate is actually fairly close to one of the bridges to Siesta Key), Tamaron, Sarasota Springs/ Ridgewood/ Brentwood, Colonial Oaks, Grove Point, Emerald Gardens, Paver Park, South Gate, Arlington Park area, Forest Park...... and those are just the ones I can think of at the moment.

Old 02-20-2019, 05:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by beach43ofus View Post
I saw a listing on one of the real estate web sites in The River Club which is off state road 70 just East of I-75 and the Wal Mart off that exit. Its a 4/3/3 home w/ pool for $375k. It has reasonable HOA w/ low fees. It's an older neighborhood who had zero affiliation w/ Lakewood Ranch's HOA. I lived there many Moons ago, and loved it.
Thanks! $375,000 is a little above our budget but would still be worth considering. Iíll check it out. I appreciate the suggestions!

Old 02-20-2019, 05:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunshine Rules View Post
Manatee county schools are a mixed bag of ratings. To get better ratings on all 3 school systems (elementary, middle & high) will take you more into eastern county neighborhoods where many of the neighborhoods (especially the newer ones) will have restrictions on what you can and can't do in regards to the exterior of your home.

For older home neighborhoods with higher school ratings, you might venture further south into Sarasota county. I can think of quite a few neighborhoods that would offer you more of what you're searching for.

Some suggestions: Lake Sarasota, Gulf Gate & Gulf Gate Woods (Gulf Gate is actually fairly close to one of the bridges to Siesta Key), Tamaron, Sarasota Springs/ Ridgewood/ Brentwood, Colonial Oaks, Grove Point, Emerald Gardens, Paver Park, South Gate, Arlington Park area, Forest Park...... and those are just the ones I can think of at the moment.
Thanks so much! I need to start researching Sarasota. I donít know as much about those communities. I really appreciate the help!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or