U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area
 [Register]
Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area Manatee and Sarasota Counties
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-26-2019, 08:14 AM

267 posts, read 76,469 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by boissoneau View Post
Fun Facts:

Truck sales now are higher than ever

Hybrid SUVs/car sales are higher than ever

Bike sales have declined

https://streets.mn/2015/07/29/why-ar...the-14th-year/
By a dollar amount, bike share of the market is increasing. Likely due to E bikes. 4% increase in sale. https://www.bicycleretailer.com/studies-reports-0

Most major automakers are actually down this year: https://www.ibj.com/articles/71934-u...-2018-increase With the exception Of Suburu, VW, and Chrysler, likely due to the popularity of Jeeps. Overall they are up as well.

Completely unrelated Im sure, but pedestrian fatalities are at a 25 year high. https://www.npr.org/sections/thetwo-...-year-in-a-row

From the report: "Five states — California, Florida, Texas, New York and Arizona — accounted for 43 percent of pedestrian deaths during the first half of 2017, despite being home to just 30 percent of the U.S. population."

I guess the question is: who should we design roads for? Speed, safety or multi modal transportation? Im starting to believe the first 2 cannot exist together.

I agree with your last point: re: Amazon.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-26-2019, 09:11 AM

87 posts, read 18,585 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kombuchaluchador View Post
I guess the question is: who should we design roads for? Speed, safety or multi modal transportation? Im starting to believe the first 2 cannot exist together.

I agree with your last point: re: Amazon.
In that order, actually.

Speed first and foremost. Then safety. Last would be multi modal.

Old 02-26-2019, 09:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UTCLWR View Post
In that order, actually.

Speed first and foremost. Then safety. Last would be multi modal.
Im Curious, are you happy with the way that Sarasota designs roads? It seems that they already design roads in this order.

Last edited by kombuchaluchador; 02-26-2019 at 09:39 AM..

Old 02-26-2019, 10:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by YahwehbinYahweh View Post
Pretty easy thought. Skaters dont belong on surface streets, Skateboarders dont belong. Walkers don't belong in the street. Power boards dont belong in the street. Trains don't belong in the streets. Pedal bikes don't belong on streets. E bikes don't belong on streets. Dog walkers don't belong on streets. Segways don't belong on streets. Joggers don't belong anywhere close to any surface street. People with baby carriages don't belong on any street, even in a subdivision. Basketball goals don't belong on streets. Stickballers don't belong on streets. Race cars don't belong on streets.

Lots of things don't belong on streets with moving cars and trucks. especially bikes doing 3-5 miles an hour with vehicular speed limit is 30, 35, 40 or 50 miles per hour. It's insane to place bikes in that same space, purely insane. Streets are not constructed for people putting around at 3-5 miles an hour.

Plus, most of the bike riders I have seen don't even obey the legal established rules of the road. They run stop signs, bike through crosswalks. They ride against proper traffic direction. They don't give signals. They ride with no lights. They ride with another idiot on the handlebars. They don't observe yield situations. They don't use available bike lanes. They hold up vehicular traffic. They have no mirrors. They leave their bikes locked up to public property. They don't ever yield to pedestrians, they ignore pedestrians.

This isn't China, nor will it ever be in re bikes used for essential transportation. They are mostly used by males in recreation, or children. There is a reason why bikes aren't allowed on Interstates and most US highways. The reason is that they don't belong on highways and even surface streets.
This is victim blaming and could easily be applied to drivers also. What about when a driver doesn't observe the rules of the road in these situations. Should they be to blame?

Most of your arguments can also be made about cars too. Does this mean they don't belong on roads either?

Your last paragraph is completely false and doesn't even warrant a response.

Why do cars inherently deserve all of the transportation space? Because you said so? Because it benefits you specifically?

I have observed the opposite. Cars not yielding to pedestrians or bikers. Texting while driving and not paying attention to their surroundings. I guess it's all a matter of perspective right?

If you live relatively close to where you need to be, a bike is a perfectly reasonable and logical form of transportation. Use of public roads by cyclists predates cars.

Last edited by kombuchaluchador; 02-26-2019 at 10:41 AM..

Old 02-26-2019, 11:05 AM

Quote:
Would you agree that bikes don't belong on Interstate 75? US 301? US41? Why do you think it's against the LAW in the first place (in most places, not all).

Show me a bike rider who really wants to ride her bike on Fruitville Road or making a trip on University to the Mall or ancillary UTC areas, and I'll show you a certified idiot with a death wish.

By the way, horses don't belong on most streets and highways as well.

Yes, cars do inherently deserve all the transportation space....simply because that's how most were designed and constructed in the FIRST PLACE.

If roads in the future are DESIGNED for human-powered traffic, that's another matter. The fact is that most sufface streets and highways in Florida were not designed for throngs of "cyclists", aka bike riders.

Look around. There aren't bunches of bike riders in the first place - and certainly not many around here over 40-65 years old. Which Publix parking lot have you seen with a bunch of locked up bicycles?? Which CVS? Which fast food place? Which department store or Home Depot?

This is plainly a solution looking for a problem. Not many people give a hoot about creating a need for more bike riders. Most people are in their trucks and cars if you noticed.

Gee, if you want or have a real personal need to ride your bike around here with heavy vehicular traffic, you go right ahead. I bet you might be read about in the Sarasota Herald Tribune or the Longboat Observer sooner or later. I'll stick driving my heavy truck. I hope we don't meet.
You clearly have never been to Pinecraft...

Your last paragraph sounds vaguely like a threat. But I ride my bike safely and obey all traffic stops.

What is your problem with cyclists? Is it the perception that they are slowing down traffic? Cars are the ones slowing down traffic. Many times when I bike home, I actually beat the cars on my street. That isn't cyclists holding up traffic, that is cars.

Do you just feel that some cyclists fail to follow the rules? Do you also feel the same way when drivers don't follow the rules?

I see quite a few bikers many are elderly, but you're right, I see more drivers. Why are you getting so uptight about bikers then? Why do you seem to view them as a threat to drivers?

There are far more car accidents than bike accidents. Do you feel strongly about that too?

Over 300,000 accidents with 36,000 deaths in America last year. 99.8 % were poor driver decisions. Cyclists were not involved. Looks like the roads aren't designed for vehicular traffic either.

Last edited by kombuchaluchador; 02-26-2019 at 11:27 AM..

Old 02-26-2019, 12:46 PM

Quote:
Pretty easy thought. Skaters dont belong on surface streets, Skateboarders dont belong. Walkers don't belong in the street. Power boards dont belong in the street. Trains don't belong in the streets. Pedal bikes don't belong on streets. E bikes don't belong on streets. Dog walkers don't belong on streets. Segways don't belong on streets. Joggers don't belong anywhere close to any surface street. People with baby carriages don't belong on any street, even in a subdivision. Basketball goals don't belong on streets. Stickballers don't belong on streets. Race cars don't belong on streets.

Lots of things don't belong on streets with moving cars and trucks. especially bikes doing 3-5 miles an hour with vehicular speed limit is 30, 35, 40 or 50 miles per hour. It's insane to place bikes in that same space, purely insane. Streets are not constructed for people putting around at 3-5 miles an hour.

Plus, most of the bike riders I have seen don't even obey the legal established rules of the road. They run stop signs, bike through crosswalks. They ride against proper traffic direction. They don't give signals. They ride with no lights. They ride with another idiot on the handlebars. They don't observe yield situations. They don't use available bike lanes. They hold up vehicular traffic. They have no mirrors. They leave their bikes locked up to public property. They don't ever yield to pedestrians, they ignore pedestrians.

This isn't China, nor will it ever be in re bikes used for essential transportation. They are mostly used by males in recreation, or children. There is a reason why bikes aren't allowed on Interstates and most US highways. The reason is that they don't belong on highways and even surface streets.
Best post of the day.

Here is another way to drive the point home. Should we have children walking to school in any lane on University Parkway, SR70, Fruitville Rd or I75? No? Why not?

Old 02-26-2019, 01:10 PM

2,245 posts, read 717,013 times
Amazon took a pass on NYC. Could part of it be because NYC's mass transit system is a total mess? It's old, in disrepair, and they cannot afford to fix it, so are now coming up w/ new taxes to try. They are also re-organizing it because its Hogtied by policital cronyism. NYC has some of the highest taxes in the USA, and still cannot afford the upkeep on their mass transit system.

People are fleeing NY due to high taxes, but even these ultra-high taxes couldn't sustain mass transit. Mass transit is unaffordable in the U.S.. How could anyone argue otherwise? It's a huge loser nearly every time it's tried.

https://www.nbcnewyork.com/news/loca...506381411.html

The same thing is playing out in Atlanta w/ MARTA. It's losing huge sums of cash, and the only reason it hasn't collapsed yet (like we are seeing in NYC) is because MARTA's infrastructure is still realtively new. The crime at MARTA stations is scary. They closed all the restrooms because they are too dangerous and they cannot afford to police them.

Most mass transit systems in the U.S. are losing huge amounts of cash. Politicians keep pushing mass transit because that is where they get a lot of their kickbacks from. It's a government solution to a government caused problem. The government caused problem was allowing high-density development which resulted in Urban sprawl where people could not longer move about on the roadways in reasonable amounts of time.

Most urban areas in the U.S. are failing. Cleveland has lost nearly 2/3rds of its population. Many large cities are bankrupt, if you include their unfunded pension liabilities.

High population density is not working anymore in the U.S.. That is the root cause of so many problems we have. The developers love it, and so do the politicians who are paid off by the developers. For everyone else, it doesn't work.

Old 02-26-2019, 01:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UTCLWR View Post
Best post of the day.

Here is another way to drive the point home. Should we have children walking to school in any lane on University Parkway, SR70, Fruitville Rd or I75? No? Why not?
I see children on sidewalks in many areas around town. Might want to go ahead and ban that too.

Old 02-26-2019, 01:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by beach43ofus View Post
Amazon took a pass on NYC. Could part of it be because NYC's mass transit system is a total mess? It's old, in disrepair, and they cannot afford to fix it, so are now coming up w/ new taxes to try. They are also re-organizing it because its Hogtied by policital cronyism. NYC has some of the highest taxes in the USA, and still cannot afford the upkeep on their mass transit system.

People are fleeing NY due to high taxes, but even these ultra-high taxes couldn't sustain mass transit. Mass transit is unaffordable in the U.S.. How could anyone argue otherwise? It's a huge loser nearly every time it's tried.

https://www.nbcnewyork.com/news/loca...506381411.html

The same thing is playing out in Atlanta w/ MARTA. It's losing huge sums of cash, and the only reason it hasn't collapsed yet (like we are seeing in NYC) is because MARTA's infrastructure is still realtively new. The crime at MARTA stations is scary. They closed all the restrooms because they are too dangerous and they cannot afford to police them.

Most mass transit systems in the U.S. are losing huge amounts of cash. Politicians keep pushing mass transit because that is where they get a lot of their kickbacks from. It's a government solution to a government caused problem. The government caused problem was allowing high-density development which resulted in Urban sprawl where people could not longer move about on the roadways in reasonable amounts of time.

Most urban areas in the U.S. are failing. Cleveland has lost nearly 2/3rds of its population. Many large cities are bankrupt, if you include their unfunded pension liabilities.

High population density is not working anymore in the U.S.. That is the root cause of so many problems we have. The developers love it, and so do the politicians who are paid off by the developers. For everyone else, it doesn't work.
No. They took a pass because of all the outcrying from the leftists up there. NYC got what they deserved.

Old 02-26-2019, 01:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kombuchaluchador View Post
I see children on sidewalks in many areas around town. Might want to go ahead and ban that too.
We are talking about what should and should not be allowed to use the roads, not sidewalks.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or