Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area
 [Register]
Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area Manatee and Sarasota Counties
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-06-2019, 02:08 AM

50 posts, read 59,494 times

Advertisements

I will be moving to the area soon and was curious were the Caribbean and Latin areas , if any, in Sarasota County?

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-06-2019, 07:34 AM

68 posts, read 104,301 times
Few areas within Sarasota County are SEGREGATED along national origin lines....this isn''t Miami or Dearborn MI. There is a wee bit of segregation along racial lines within The City of Sarasota (not Sarasota County)....the only area I am historically aware of would be the very old established "neighborhood" referred to as "Newtown" which is populated mostly by Blacks....but that area too is drastically becoming "less totally Black" for a variety of reasons.

There is nothing inherently desirable for Sarasota County to become "balkanized" along Caribbean/Latin origins. One of Sarasota County's strengths is most people really don't give a damn about who is Carribbean and who is "Latin". If those attributes/factors are necessary for you to prosper, be content, be safe, and become a contributing member of Sarasota County's community, family and social structure, you might want to look to other counties than Sarasota County, such as Dade County. or a few areas of Seminole/Orange.

To be frank, as a resident, I don't think we should "promote" or even endorse any sort of "balkanization" of our County of Sarasota (or Manatee either).

Old 03-06-2019, 10:02 AM

Biossanu I think you miss understood me. This was not about race. Or Blakinization. Sorry for the misunderstanding . Coming from California having these pocket of culture is diverse normal and not considered racial.

I respect things are different there. My apologies if I affended you. It was not my attention. BTW that being said were are there some good Caribbean resturaunts in Sarasota.

Old 03-07-2019, 05:07 AM

25,693 posts, read 12,772,161 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mchrismsw View Post
Biossanu I think you miss understood me. This was not about race. Or Blakinization. Sorry for the misunderstanding . Coming from California having these pocket of culture is diverse normal and not considered racial.

I respect things are different there. My apologies if I affended you. It was not my attention. BTW that being said were are there some good Caribbean resturaunts in Sarasota.
I think the culture you are looking for exists in a small pocket in Bradenton. It's called the Village of the Arts:

https://activerain.com/blogsview/288...da-highwayman-

Old 03-07-2019, 09:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by beach43ofus View Post
I think the culture you are looking for exists in a small pocket in Bradenton. It's called the Village of the Arts:

https://activerain.com/blogsview/288...da-highwayman-

Thank you very much, the area looks artsy. I bet they got some good little gems to eat Definitely will check it out.

Old 03-08-2019, 09:17 AM

4,894 posts, read 14,134,978 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmy Valachi View Post
Village of the Arts is in the City of Bradenton, NOT The City of Sarasota, it's also in a sketchy (very) just 2 blocks to the south, and of course it's across the street from a baseball stadium. It's a quasi-ghetto, a dump, a dump with an artsy character and weird residents, just ask the police, who cruise the area constantly.
Exactly what Palm Avenue in Sarasota around the corner from Burns Court used to be: sketchy, quasi-ghetto & now you can't touch it, think: EPOCH...

Old 03-10-2019, 03:30 PM

20,955 posts, read 8,664,723 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mchrismsw View Post
I will be moving to the area soon and was curious were the Caribbean and Latin areas , if any, in Sarasota County?

Thanks
My take would be that they exist but could be almost anywhere - being as most of the area is a "car culture". That is, people tend to drive to eat, shop, work, etc. so you are likely to find things such as authentic groceries and eats in lots of places.

Historically, there have been a lot of migrant/immigrant seasonal farm workers in the area (plant city, palmetto, arcadia, etc.), so it's not unlike California in this regard. Although I don't keep up with the "movement of the people" but my take is many of these folks have become year-round residents and work in other trades, own businesses, etc.

So the answer is Yes....with a "you'll have fun finding all the stuff" caveat.

Old 03-11-2019, 01:27 PM

2,682 posts, read 2,178,384 times
Though they do not live in particular neighborhoods like they might in other cities, there is a growing Latin American population in the area -- we have noticed it over the past 4-5 years that we had been coming here, and more so now that we live here. We attended the Latino Festival on 17th St. a few months ago, and it was crowded with people from all over Latin America.

Old 03-13-2019, 01:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by craigiri View Post
My take would be that they exist but could be almost anywhere - being as most of the area is a "car culture". That is, people tend to drive to eat, shop, work, etc. so you are likely to find things such as authentic groceries and eats in lots of places.

Historically, there have been a lot of migrant/immigrant seasonal farm workers in the area (plant city, palmetto, arcadia, etc.), so it's not unlike California in this regard. Although I don't keep up with the "movement of the people" but my take is many of these folks have become year-round residents and work in other trades, own businesses, etc.

So the answer is Yes....with a "you'll have fun finding all the stuff" caveat.
Thanks you. I have seen some good, Vietnamese Pho houses, Thai, Indian, etc in Sarasota, a lot of great eats. There is a Mexican restaurant over by LA Fitness next to Burlington Coast Factory that has amazing steak fajita soft tacos and margaritas. I look forward to finding some other Latin American and Caribbean eats and 90% of the fun, like you said is finding/exploring different spots

Thank you very much for advice

Old 03-13-2019, 01:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CapnTrips View Post
Though they do not live in particular neighborhoods like they might in other cities, there is a growing Latin American population in the area -- we have noticed it over the past 4-5 years that we had been coming here, and more so now that we live here. We attended the Latino Festival on 17th St. a few months ago, and it was crowded with people from all over Latin America.

Ohh festivals! those are always cool, thank you for your advice and input
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area