Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area
 [Register]
Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area Manatee and Sarasota Counties
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-07-2019, 01:53 PM

17,534 posts, read 39,131,539 times

Advertisements

I got a card in the mail today from a company called Florida Bug Men. As it happens I had been looking for a company who does non-toxic treatments and this one does. Our house is a 1400 sq ft CBS structure built in the 50s. Built on a slab, with massive roof beams, so not a lot of wood but mostly in the roof. I was wondering if anyone has ever done the borate treatment instead of tent, and how effective is it, and a general cost? I want to go this route because again, not that much here, and we have pets and you dont have to move out when they do it. I'm not even sure if we have much infestation but I see evidence here and there that we have at least some.

Also, does anyone have experience with this company?

Thanks in advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-07-2019, 03:33 PM

91 posts, read 118,264 times
I can't comment on that company or borate. We just purchased a home that had dry wood termites in roof and we did have the house tented. I originally truly did not want to do the poison treatment, but honestly, after doing some research, i was convinced it was the only logical method. We used a company that came highly recommended - Veritas Pest management. They were excellent and I found them to be very trustworthy. I would give them a call and have them take a look.If you don't need it - I would trust them to tell you that.

Old 03-07-2019, 05:07 PM

5,662 posts, read 10,743,344 times
You might call Good News Pest Control. They use green methods of pest control. Do you think you have termites?

Old 03-07-2019, 09:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbronston View Post
You might call Good News Pest Control. They use green methods of pest control. Do you think you have termites?
There is evidence in a few pieces of furniture but not sure about the house itself. As I said it is mostly block and stucco, other than the wood in the roof. Thank you for the recommendation.

Old 03-08-2019, 09:33 AM

4,895 posts, read 14,140,308 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gypsychic View Post
There is evidence in a few pieces of furniture but not sure about the house itself. As I said it is mostly block and stucco, other than the wood in the roof. Thank you for the recommendation.
Don't forget, you still have wood studs within the block & the termites can eat through concrete. You may want to try Nature Zone; I work with Dee on a number of my properties that have dealt with same issue.

Old 03-08-2019, 04:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ladywithafan View Post
Don't forget, you still have wood studs within the block & the termites can eat through concrete. You may want to try Nature Zone; I work with Dee on a number of my properties that have dealt with same issue.
Thanks for the recommendation, Ladywithafan. It's nice to know there are a few pest control companies using less toxic treatment now.

Old 03-08-2019, 06:41 PM

41 posts, read 55,516 times
Do you have termites? I have a similar house, built in the 50s and every time I checked I had zero termites. The Orkin man suggested my concrete foundation may have been treated with a repellent common in those days but no longer used. We live in the forest but have never had any signs of termites without treatment. If you house is that old and has no sign of termite problems, it may have had a treatment that lasts for decades.

Old 03-09-2019, 03:50 PM

20,955 posts, read 8,674,856 times
I don't think anything will get rid of dry wood termites completely short of tenting.

The good news is that they eat slowly, so you rarely get the structural damage that would happen with ground termites.

I don't think Borax would work except short term on exposed wood.

Old 03-10-2019, 07:35 AM

117 posts, read 99,163 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ladywithafan View Post
Our house is all concrete block and metal studs. The only wood is part of the roof, under the tile. I have been wondering if we need to pay for the termite contract or if that would just be a waste of money.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area