U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area
 [Register]
Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area Manatee and Sarasota Counties
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-12-2019, 01:48 PM

94 posts, read 35,295 times

Advertisements

Hello,

We recently visited the Sarasota / Siesta Key area and absolutely loved it as it felt very comfortable to us. So much so that we are possibly interested in purchasing a vacation home in the area. I have spent a fair amount of time in the St Pete Beach area as well as the St. Petersburg area, but it didn't feel the same as Sarasota (besides, Sarasota is warmer in the winter).

We are looking for people to recommend desirable areas to look at purchasing a home for a young, professional couple (40ish) who want to be near the action (restaurants, shopping, etc), but don't necessarily need to be in the middle of it - just nearby.

In about 1 month from now, we will be in the area and would like to spend some time driving by these suggestions to get a feel for the area.

Thank in advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-12-2019, 03:38 PM

3,138 posts, read 4,456,186 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gil_happy View Post
Hello,

We recently visited the Sarasota / Siesta Key area and absolutely loved it as it felt very comfortable to us. So much so that we are possibly interested in purchasing a vacation home in the area. I have spent a fair amount of time in the St Pete Beach area as well as the St. Petersburg area, but it didn't feel the same as Sarasota (besides, Sarasota is warmer in the winter).

We are looking for people to recommend desirable areas to look at purchasing a home for a young, professional couple (40ish) who want to be near the action (restaurants, shopping, etc), but don't necessarily need to be in the middle of it - just nearby.

In about 1 month from now, we will be in the area and would like to spend some time driving by these suggestions to get a feel for the area.

Thank in advance!

It would help to know what price range you wish to stay within.

Old 03-12-2019, 04:20 PM

2,245 posts, read 705,678 times
I'd strongly suggest just renting the first few times until you get the lay of the land in this area. People 40ish will have a hard time finding similarly aged people around Downtown Sarasota. Most are 55-85. You really need to rent first.

Old 03-12-2019, 04:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunshine Rules View Post
It would help to know what price range you wish to stay within.
Probably around 500k... However, we could go higher if needed, but are hopeful to stay under 500k.

Old 03-12-2019, 04:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by beach43ofus View Post
I'd strongly suggest just renting the first few times until you get the lay of the land in this area. People 40ish will have a hard time finding similarly aged people around Downtown Sarasota. Most are 55-85. You really need to rent first.
Thanks for this.... since this would just be a vacation home, we wouldn't be too about that. Again, just looking for a quaint, nice area near restaurants, stores, bars, etc.

Old 03-12-2019, 09:17 PM

3,138 posts, read 4,456,186 times
There are lots of options, it really depends on what you are searching for.......condo/townhome or single family? Do you want amenities like a clubhouse, fitness center, community pool? Drive time to the beaches? Do you have pets you will be bringing with you (many condos have pet restrictions of some sort)?

If you want single family homes close to downtown but not necessarily in downtown, the Arlington Park / South Gate area (zip code 34239) is popular with buyers. Quite a mix of home styles, from bungalows to ranchers to new construction.

Also Gulf Gate (34231), which is south of Clark Rd, so not as close to downtown Sarasota, but next door to the Gulf Gate shopping district which offers a variety of local restaurants, shops, etc.
https://www.gulfgate.biz/

If you want new or newer construction single family homes or condos/townhomes, Palmer Ranch is going to be closer to the south Siesta Key bridge but not close to downtown (34238).

For something outside of the box, check out Anna Maria Island, off of west Bradenton in Manatee county. Great public beaches without the high rise condos of Siesta Key.
https://www.annamaria.com/travel-guides/

Old Yesterday, 05:57 AM

If you would consider a condo, look at the listing at 350 South Polk Drive Sarasota on Lido Key (beach renourishment almost complete). It's directly across the street (1 steet off the main drag) from the main beach pavillion, (which is due for renewal soon) short walk to St. Armand's Circle (on Polk), short drive into Downtown Sarasota (~15 minutes), and you wouldn't need to worry about exterior maintenance.

You could easily rent it out by the month when you are not using it, (don't count on any Summer rentals). The minimum rental is 1 month. I stayed in this building for a month in 2016 when I was checking out the area, and I was impressed with it. It's very well maintained, clean, well-managed, and they check out all renters thoroughly. I liked the designated parking space beneath the building, out of the Sun. Most renters stay longer than 1 month, and have been returning to the same unit for years.

The only listing in this building now is on the 2nd floor (<$400k). Optimally, you'd want to be on the top floor and in the South end of the building as those have a partial view of the Gulf.

The only downside I experienced was there are no grocery stores on Lido Key. You must stock up in Sarasota. If you can deal with that, I think the timing for this building is excellent due to the current beach renourishment project being nearly complete, and the pending beach pavillion upgrade.

Old Yesterday, 07:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunshine Rules View Post
There are lots of options, it really depends on what you are searching for.......condo/townhome or single family? Do you want amenities like a clubhouse, fitness center, community pool? Drive time to the beaches? Do you have pets you will be bringing with you (many condos have pet restrictions of some sort)?

If you want single family homes close to downtown but not necessarily in downtown, the Arlington Park / South Gate area (zip code 34239) is popular with buyers. Quite a mix of home styles, from bungalows to ranchers to new construction.

Also Gulf Gate (34231), which is south of Clark Rd, so not as close to downtown Sarasota, but next door to the Gulf Gate shopping district which offers a variety of local restaurants, shops, etc.
https://www.gulfgate.biz/

If you want new or newer construction single family homes or condos/townhomes, Palmer Ranch is going to be closer to the south Siesta Key bridge but not close to downtown (34238).

For something outside of the box, check out Anna Maria Island, off of west Bradenton in Manatee county. Great public beaches without the high rise condos of Siesta Key.
https://www.annamaria.com/travel-guides/
Hi, thanks for this... we would primarily want a SFH, but 'could' be open to condo living. I like the idea of having a back yard, etc (plus we have a small dog) so a SFH is probably best. We don't need a clubhouse, fitness center, etc.

I will take a look at Arlington Park, South Gate, and Gulf Gate.

As far as Anna Maria Island is concerned, I think it might be a little too quiet for us.

Old Yesterday, 07:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by beach43ofus View Post
If you would consider a condo, look at the listing at 350 South Polk Drive Sarasota on Lido Key (beach renourishment almost complete). It's directly across the street (1 steet off the main drag) from the main beach pavillion, (which is due for renewal soon) short walk to St. Armand's Circle (on Polk), short drive into Downtown Sarasota (~15 minutes), and you wouldn't need to worry about exterior maintenance.

You could easily rent it out by the month when you are not using it, (don't count on any Summer rentals). The minimum rental is 1 month. I stayed in this building for a month in 2016 when I was checking out the area, and I was impressed with it. It's very well maintained, clean, well-managed, and they check out all renters thoroughly. I liked the designated parking space beneath the building, out of the Sun. Most renters stay longer than 1 month, and have been returning to the same unit for years.

The only listing in this building now is on the 2nd floor (<$400k). Optimally, you'd want to be on the top floor and in the South end of the building as those have a partial view of the Gulf.

The only downside I experienced was there are no grocery stores on Lido Key. You must stock up in Sarasota. If you can deal with that, I think the timing for this building is excellent due to the current beach renourishment project being nearly complete, and the pending beach pavillion upgrade.
Thanks for this! Again, a SFH is probably best for us, but I will definitely take a look at this and see if this interests us.

Old Yesterday, 03:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gil_happy View Post
Thanks for this! Again, a SFH is probably best for us, but I will definitely take a look at this and see if this interests us.
SFH's on Lido Key start at $1M. Even total fixer uppers are $700L+.

I think if you check it out, you'll love the location and building.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or