U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area
 [Register]
Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area Manatee and Sarasota Counties
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-12-2019, 06:05 PM

15 posts, read 7,274 times

Advertisements

We are interested in possibly buying with Maronda Homes. We like their home plans and will be meeting with them when we visit North Port in a couple of months. We will be relocating from South florida. Any realtors have experience working with them? Or maybe you have another Builder you recommend. Any feedback from previous buyers or realtors would be very helpful. I want to know the good and the bad. I also want to have a realtor by my side that is ver knowledgeable with these builders and new construction in the North Port area.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-12-2019, 07:11 PM

6,801 posts, read 9,075,782 times
You don't need a realtor to buy a new home. When building a home, you deal directly with the builder.

Old 03-12-2019, 08:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by d4g4m View Post
You don't need a realtor to buy a new home. When building a home, you deal directly with the builder.
I had read in a few articles that itís recommended to have one on your side and help you with negotiations on upgrades and other things (typically base price is non negotiable). Someone that would help with the process and assist if and when issues arise.

Old 03-12-2019, 08:56 PM

3,174 posts, read 4,504,651 times
I personally have not dealt with Maronda Homes, but some of the reviews from people in FL who have built with them are worth noting:

https://www.consumeraffairs.com/housing/maronda.html

and

https://www.bbb.org/us/fl/sanford/pr...115/complaints

Every builder is going to have complaints. However, I look for specific patterns to the complaints, such as is there an on going issue with warranty work, are a large number of buyers complaining about one specific building issue, etc.

Personally, if I were going it alone (I.E. without a buyer's agent), I would seek out as many current owners in the particular community I could find and ask them about their experience with the builder, did they have problems, was the builder good at follow up on any issues and/or warranty work.

As to having a buyers agent or not, some people (especially if they have built a new home previously) are fine going thru the process on their own. If you understand the entire FL building process, having a buyer's agent may provide no additional benefit for you, especially if you are detail oriented and will take a hands on approach to the construction process.

But there can be advantages to having a buyers agent in the new construction home buying process.

The builder's representative is just that - a person employed by the builder, who puts the builder's interests first, regardless of what they may tell you. Due to the high volume nature of new home sales, builder's agents are often paid less than a traditional commission (some are even on salary plus incentives) so it is common for builder's reps to use high pressure sales tactics with potential buyers.

There are advantages to dealing with an agent that keeps up to date on the local new construction. They should know which builders are currently offering buyer incentives. Some builders will negotiate credits towards buyers closing costs if you push them, others won't. Not all buyers are aware that all lots are not created equal, that most builders tack on "premiums" if you want a back yard with a view. The base prices on the brochures can throw buyers, they may not understand that that $225,000 home can cost $300,000 by the time the buyer selects a lot with a premium and adds in what they consider their basic upgrades and extras. Your buyers agent should make recommendations such as getting an independent home inspection pre-drywall, when things like electrical, plumbing, AC duct work and trusses are readily observable for finding issues -- and in 20 years I have not seen a single inspection report that did not have items that needed to be addressed.

Generally there is no additional cost to the buyer to have their own buyer's agent. Most builders price buyer's agent compensation into their pricing strategies and encourage buyer agents to bring customers as they recognize real estate agents as a significant source of business. On the other side of the coin, I have heard now and then of a builder that will give a buyer without agent representation an additional discount because a buyer's agent was not involved.

A buyer's agent should be able to run the numbers for you comparing a new construction home in a neighborhood or area vs one that is just a year or two old. Sometimes the best deal for a buyer is NOT a brand new home, but rather one that is almost new that the owners have to sell due to circumstances.

One last comment, if you want your buyer's agent to get paid for assisting you in your new construction home purchase, please make sure that when you visit the model homes or sales office for the first time that you bring your agent with you and register them as your agent of record with the builder. Otherwise, your agent may spend countless hours helping you through the process only to find out at closing that they are not getting paid.

Old 03-14-2019, 07:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunshine Rules View Post
I personally have not dealt with Maronda Homes, but some of the reviews from people in FL who have built with them are worth noting:

https://www.consumeraffairs.com/housing/maronda.html

and

https://www.bbb.org/us/fl/sanford/pr...115/complaints

Every builder is going to have complaints. However, I look for specific patterns to the complaints, such as is there an on going issue with warranty work, are a large number of buyers complaining about one specific building issue, etc.

Personally, if I were going it alone (I.E. without a buyer's agent), I would seek out as many current owners in the particular community I could find and ask them about their experience with the builder, did they have problems, was the builder good at follow up on any issues and/or warranty work.

As to having a buyers agent or not, some people (especially if they have built a new home previously) are fine going thru the process on their own. If you understand the entire FL building process, having a buyer's agent may provide no additional benefit for you, especially if you are detail oriented and will take a hands on approach to the construction process.

But there can be advantages to having a buyers agent in the new construction home buying process.

The builder's representative is just that - a person employed by the builder, who puts the builder's interests first, regardless of what they may tell you. Due to the high volume nature of new home sales, builder's agents are often paid less than a traditional commission (some are even on salary plus incentives) so it is common for builder's reps to use high pressure sales tactics with potential buyers.

There are advantages to dealing with an agent that keeps up to date on the local new construction. They should know which builders are currently offering buyer incentives. Some builders will negotiate credits towards buyers closing costs if you push them, others won't. Not all buyers are aware that all lots are not created equal, that most builders tack on "premiums" if you want a back yard with a view. The base prices on the brochures can throw buyers, they may not understand that that $225,000 home can cost $300,000 by the time the buyer selects a lot with a premium and adds in what they consider their basic upgrades and extras. Your buyers agent should make recommendations such as getting an independent home inspection pre-drywall, when things like electrical, plumbing, AC duct work and trusses are readily observable for finding issues -- and in 20 years I have not seen a single inspection report that did not have items that needed to be addressed.

Generally there is no additional cost to the buyer to have their own buyer's agent. Most builders price buyer's agent compensation into their pricing strategies and encourage buyer agents to bring customers as they recognize real estate agents as a significant source of business. On the other side of the coin, I have heard now and then of a builder that will give a buyer without agent representation an additional discount because a buyer's agent was not involved.

A buyer's agent should be able to run the numbers for you comparing a new construction home in a neighborhood or area vs one that is just a year or two old. Sometimes the best deal for a buyer is NOT a brand new home, but rather one that is almost new that the owners have to sell due to circumstances.

One last comment, if you want your buyer's agent to get paid for assisting you in your new construction home purchase, please make sure that when you visit the model homes or sales office for the first time that you bring your agent with you and register them as your agent of record with the builder. Otherwise, your agent may spend countless hours helping you through the process only to find out at closing that they are not getting paid.
Wow, thank you for this info. I had googled a little bit and got some info on them but totally forgot about consumer affairs. Way too many issues and all very similar. I wonít be meeting with them. Relocating is scary enough. I need the buying process (new or older home) to go as smooth as possible. However, I did look up KB Home builders and everything is possitive. So I think Iíll contact them. I also found Pinnicale Builders (their mostly in Cape Coral). But I canít find any reviews on them at all. One of their new 4/2 cons sold for 225 in north port. Iím wondering how they got that price. Perhaps the land was a separate transaction? Not sure how that works.

Youíve provided me with a lot of helpful information. Although Iím good at reading contracts and negotiation. Realtor/sales isnít my specialty and I would like someone to helping make sure I donít miss anything. Iíd like someone I could trust and that can guide me. The realtor I worked with here in miami has been working with my family for over 30 years. There is friendship and trust.
Would you please send me your contact information? Iíd like to meet with you in the near future.

Old 03-14-2019, 08:36 AM

2,950 posts, read 1,487,796 times
Most agents have less than no clue about new construction. All they want to do is deliver you to the builder collect their 3% and be done with it. We had an agent who was a builder, developer and civil engineer and was very knowledgeable about new construction and prices for upgrades. We were not building, but he told us numerous stories how he helped negotiate better prices for upgrades with other clients. Your chances of finding someone like that are slim to none. You need someone to look out for your interests and some companies provide those services and supervise the construction in your absence.
I would recommend getting a list of upgrades and prices BEFORE going to any appointments so you have a chance to think things over. Some upgrades like better floor, countertops and cabinets can be a good investment. Others that can be added after, are not.
If you can find an agent with actual construction experience, that will visit the site regularly, then it may be beneficial.

Old 03-14-2019, 09:04 AM

214 posts, read 58,941 times
I agree with Thundarr457. Unless you are a first time buyer and/or need a lot of hand-holding during the process, I would not go in with just any agent if you are set on buying a new build and not going to be seeing any resale homes. But an agent that is willing to do site checks and provide you with video updates of the build in progress to keep you aware of what's going on is going to be helpful and someone with construction experience even more so.

Note to OP: The recommendation I sent you via DM has previous construction experience.

Old 03-14-2019, 09:18 AM
Status: "Favorite TV show is now Big Bang Theory" (set 1 day ago)

110 posts, read 26,070 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Victor Maitlin View Post
Real estate salespersons hanging out on any internet forum surely has little or no construction knowledge lol
How many usernames are you going to post under???

Old 03-14-2019, 09:27 AM

Thank you all for your feedback. Not the first time buying a house but it’s the first time considering new cons. I am definitely doing a lot of research and all of this information is helpful to me. Buying a used home is still an option for us too. We want the best deal and location for our family. It doesn’t have to be brand new. But it can’t be a gut job. I’ve got 3 toddlers and it’s just way too much with these little ones running around. lol

I’ve cancelled my appointment with Maronda Homes. However we are still driving up to Sarasota the first weekend of May. We want to check it North Port and more areas of Sarasota. It’s been awhile since we’ve visited and I want to get reacquainted. We absolutely love Venice but home prices have gone up a lot. Still cheaper than Miami though. And way more of a lifestyle I want for our family.

Old 03-14-2019, 11:51 AM
Status: "Favorite TV show is now Big Bang Theory" (set 1 day ago)

110 posts, read 26,070 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by d4g4m View Post
You don't NEED one, but it would be FOOLISH not to have one. It costs a buyer $0.00. The seller pays all the costs. The builder is NOT there to protect you. That would be the job of your OWN realtor.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or