Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area
 [Register]
Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area Manatee and Sarasota Counties
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-22-2019, 11:17 PM

5,589 posts, read 8,405,261 times

Advertisements

I've been to quite a few shows at Van Wezel but this was by far, the best! Most of the time the Broadway shows feel like a bare-bones version but in this case, not at all. The costumes, the creative effects, the acting, the dancing, the singing, the full orchestra, the ANIMALS - all top-notch! If you haven't seen it and there are still tickets, I highly recommend it. I'd actually like to go see it again...now that I've read the reviews, I realize there are some things I missed because I wasn't familiar with the storyline and symbolism.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-22-2019, 11:26 PM

Well, looks like I'm too late, seems that all performances through the end are sold out. I read that Van Wezel and the production company were taking a chance on this because it was a three-week run, but it certainly looks like Sarasota can and should be a stop on the circuit of the top show productions.

Old 03-23-2019, 05:31 PM

282 posts, read 248,175 times
We enjoy going to the Van Wezel. Love the location and it's so convenient. That being said, I've often found they do very little as far as staging. Was there for a Christmas program and didn't see so much as a wreath on a wall in the entire facility let alone in the concert hall. Not very festive.

Also saw Seinfeld there, where the warm up comic commented on how the Van Wezel
"went all out" to welcome them. (Not) just a black curtain. LOL! That being said, show was great. LOL!

I'm glad to know the Lion King was done right and you enjoyed it.

Old 03-24-2019, 12:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by srq57 View Post
We enjoy going to the Van Wezel. Love the location and it's so convenient. That being said, I've often found they do very little as far as staging. Was there for a Christmas program and didn't see so much as a wreath on a wall in the entire facility let alone in the concert hall. Not very festive.

Also saw Seinfeld there, where the warm up comic commented on how the Van Wezel
"went all out" to welcome them. (Not) just a black curtain. LOL! That being said, show was great. LOL!

I'm glad to know the Lion King was done right and you enjoyed it.
Yes, I felt the same when I saw "Chicago". Now, mind you, I'd never seen the Broadway production, only the movie. But the costumes were so spectacular in the movie - think Queen Latifah transforming from dowdy prison matron to sexy lounge singer in a gold gown and feather boa. So therefore, I was soooo disappointed when the Van Wezel version was totally bare-bones - in my memory, I'm picturing a black curtain too. Certainly wasn't much more elaborate than that. But I didn't know anything about road shows, having just moved from up North. I'm thinking maybe that's how they are. "Jersey Boys" and "Motown" were pretty much the same.

Yep, they definitely got Lion King right! Absolutely stunning. I think I heard they had 17 trailers' worth of stuff.

Old 03-25-2019, 02:06 PM

282 posts, read 248,175 times
We saw Jersey Boys at the Strazz and the scenery was not as bare bones as some performances we've seen at Van Wezel. Glad they got the Lion King right. For me the scenery is just as important as performance when at a live show.

Back in September, Seinfeld (opening comic) poked fun at the lackluster surroundings, and he at the Van Wezel name and the stench of the Red tide at the time. (knock over dead back then) I gotta say,they weren't really wrong. LOL!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area