U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area
 [Register]
Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area Manatee and Sarasota Counties
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-12-2019, 09:51 PM

12 posts, read 20,531 times

Advertisements

We're looking to relocate to the Sarasota area. I've found a lot of great info/resources in this forum with regards to which areas/communities to further research. I'm still a little confused, however, about the Venice area.

From what I understand (correct me if I'm wrong), Venice tends to be primarily older residents & snowbirds, more so than families with younger children. However, I have seen some posts referring to "New Venice", & some parts that are indeed family friendly. Can someone please help me figure out (geographically) where this area is exactly? I'm certainly not partial to moving to Venice. I'm just trying to cover all bases when identifying family friendly areas. My husband & I will be down there next month looking at different areas. I prefer to have a few towns/communities in mind to get us started.

Just a quick overview: we have kids at middle/elementary school age so schools are top priority, family friendly area, not too crowded but not very rural either, housing budget will probably be around $400,000 or so.

As I said, we're researching several other areas as well (ie: LWR, Osprey, Nokomis, areas of Sarasota "East of 75", etc..). Any clarification on "Venice" vs "New Venice" would be greatly appreciated. Is there indeed a family friendly "feel"? Or do I cross this one off my list? Thanks.
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message

Old 04-13-2019, 09:52 AM

425 posts, read 346,656 times
It is difficult to get a true picture of Venice. That might be because the city limits of Venice is not large and yet many residents live outside of the city limits. Therefore, the statistical image of Venice being made up entirely of old people can be misleading. Much of the population of Venice that is in the city limits is made up of people living on Venice island. Most of the people living there are older people. Outside the city limits the age mix varies by community. I'm 65 and live in a community (Ventura Village) where there are no age restrictions. Much of our neighborhood is made up of people who have young children. There are other communities like ours around the Venice area. If I were you I would get with a realtor and they can probably give you a list of communities where there are families in your age group. Although Venice does seem to have an image of being made up of primarily older people I think that things are changing here. I see plenty of younger people at my gym every day so I know there are lots of young people living here.

Old 04-13-2019, 11:02 AM

2,068 posts, read 3,196,709 times
Veniceman gives a good description of Venice. My question to you is where will you be working? Some people say the traffic here is absolutely terrible during “snowbird” season. Personally I say it’s a matter of perspective as I use to live outside DC and have seen BAD traffic. Still, you want to minimize your work commute so depending on where you will be working there’s a big difference in travel time from LWR and east of 75 to down to Venice. I see many families in the Venice area and hear very good comments about the schools, but do keep commuting in mind.

Old 04-13-2019, 11:20 AM

425 posts, read 346,656 times
Traffic does back up during snowbirds season especially on I75 between Venice and Sarasota. We have a friend who commutes from Venice to Bradenton for work and she finds that drive tiresome. My girlfriend and I tend to take Honore or Hwy 41 into Sarasota because we are retired and do not wish to add to the congestion on I75. We also don't go to Sarasota during rush hour. I think rush hour driving should be for those who have to get to work.

The OP mentioned home prices. $400k should allow for a decent home purchase here. Most homes in our neighborhood run around $300k. I would think the OP could find plenty of homes under $400k. Schools are considered good here in Venice too. We have a friend who has 2 kids in the Venice school system and they love it here. Overall, Venice is a very nice community.

Old 04-15-2019, 11:37 AM

63 posts, read 43,580 times
First let me say, I do not currently live in Venice but plan on moving there after the school year with my 2 children (entering 11th and 6th).I do have extended family in the Sarasota area and have visited there quite frequently. I was confused, as you are, about Venice and did a lot of research and found a lot is very relative. For example, I kept reading it was all retirees and hardly any kids and that Venice was tiny. However, Venice High School has 2,000 students and is busting at the seams from what I have read. Conversely, my daughter's high school is 480 students. So, sounds like there are a lot more kids and the area is bigger than where I'm from (and I didn't think I was from a very small place). Venice High School is rated highly and they have the IB program which my daughter is enrolled in at home. From what I have seen, $400K should get you a very nice home. We are actually looking at the 250K-325K price range and have found some very nice homes. Sarasota is also a lovely area with highly rated schools, I was just looking for something smaller. Youtube has some informative short movies of the area and I got a lot of information from the school websites as well. Hope this helps.

Old 04-15-2019, 12:02 PM

12 posts, read 20,531 times
Thank you, these posts are all very helpful. With regards to my commute, not sure yet, but hubby & I both work in healthcare so we'd need to be somewhat "close" (ie: under 20 minute commute if I had my way. LOL).

Yes, I see that Venice HS is highly rated (as per FLDOE website) which is what drew me in that direction. I see that Riverview HS & LWR HS are also rated fairly high (however Venice HS seems slightly higher rated).

When you refer to "outside city limits" of Venice, are you referring to the surrounding towns such as Laurel, Nokomis, Osprey? Or is that a separate area? Just trying to better understand ��

Old 04-15-2019, 12:40 PM

676 posts, read 590,683 times
I agree with much of the above info. Venice is historically 'older', and if you look at census data you will see that reflected in the average age. Residents on 'the island' are older. But many other neighborhoods around have families. (There have been previous postings on that too, so if you end up really looking into the Venice area, you can search the forum for various neighborhoods.) That said, most every neighborhood in Florida seems to be at least half retirees.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdnd19 View Post
When you refer to "outside city limits" of Venice, are you referring to the surrounding towns such as Laurel, Nokomis, Osprey? Or is that a separate area? Just trying to better understand
I have found Florida to be different that other states. I'm used to places where every part of a metro area is part of some city. But at least in Manatee and Sarasota counties, there are large areas that are just part of the county, and not part of the city. If you search google maps for 'Venice, FL', it will highlight the actual city limits for you. But there is a huge chunk of land east and south of the City of Venice boundaries that many people consider 'Venice'.

Same thing for Sarasota and Bradenton - those proper city limits do not nearly cover areas that people generally refer to as 'Sarasota' or 'Bradenton'. Areas outside the city boundaries are not part of any city.

Old 04-16-2019, 09:35 AM

4,663 posts, read 9,850,400 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdnd19 View Post

When you refer to "outside city limits" of Venice, are you referring to the surrounding towns such as Laurel, Nokomis, Osprey? Or is that a separate area? Just trying to better understand ��
'Venice', like other town name areas, is adroit at annexing outlying areas into their legal boundaries;
increased taxable base, 'control', zoning, and future development, et al.

We have an Escape Winter house in 'North Venice', zip 34275, and have V water, sewer, fire/cops, trash services provided by V, paid for by us.

As for demographics, not an expert but as others have noted some communities and areas are 'older' and transitioning to next gen, later boomers for example, and other communities are quite mixed with families, kids.

Many FL communities, even with lots of kids, seem to me to be 'different' than the northern/northeastern communities our adult kids grew up in, but that isn't not good/good, just different, as is much of FL vs what many northern transplants experienced before they moved to FL, either full time or seasonal, imo.

I am not pumping 'Venice' or any specific area the OP may interested in, just offering opins...

The linked map might help, as 'Venice' is a growing legal area/entity.

GL, mD

Moderator cut: link removed, competitor site

Last edited by Yac; 04-17-2019 at 01:32 AM..

Old 04-16-2019, 09:01 PM

3,649 posts, read 9,050,934 times
Well - there is the City of Venice which I think is mainly on the "island" and then there is Venice - am I correct? There is South Venice which is more affordable and maybe younger people - and then there is the part of Venice very close to North Port which must be newer and younger. Only guessing though.

In South Venice you must be careful you are on city water and sewer - the way my family uses water we could not be on septic.

Personally I think Sarasota is younger but that is just me.

I drive from Nokomis to Lakewood Ranch every day and it usually take me 30 minutes - but if there is a fender bender traffic backs up for miles and the alternate routes (Honore) are not very fast. I lived around the DC area too and its all about perspective.

A lot of people live in Osprey and surrounding areas because their children go to Pine View which is a gifted school. People from all around the country move here to go there.

Old 04-17-2019, 11:03 AM

4,280 posts, read 6,572,406 times
As of 2015, the median age in Venice was 67. Data I found for 2019 claims the median age in Venice is 68.3 years. That one took into consideration the zip codes of 34275, 34285 and 34292.

There was a great article about Venice and the changes printed in 2017 that the OP might like to read:

https://www.venicemagazineonline.com.../growing-pains

Venice is currently in the midst of a residential building boom, and growth will have a large impact on Venice going forward. As stated in the article, the city’s population could increase 50 percent, from 20,000 to 30,000 in the next two decades. And that doesn’t even include the people who will be moving into all of the new communities being built outside of the Venice city limits.

According to Neal Communities, one of the more prolific builders in the Venice area, these new buyers tend to be active adults/ baby boomers and empty nesters ages 45 to 59.

Christopher McCarty, director of the University of Florida’s Bureau of Economic and Business Research, says more than half of Southwest Florida’s population growth over the next 20 years will come from people 60 and older, meaning Venice is likely to remain a retirement community, in spite of the growth in population.

So yes, the influx of new construction is changing Venice, and Venice is getting "younger" but according to experts will still likely remain a retirement mecca for years to come.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area