U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area
 [Register]
Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area Manatee and Sarasota Counties
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-20-2019, 08:09 AM

1,361 posts, read 919,169 times

Advertisements

Hello!

I’m considering a move from Naples to Sarasota. I’ve been living in Naples for four years originally down from Chicago. The thing is it’s a beautiful area and relatively pristine, but I’m only 30 years old and the average median age is starting to ware on me.

I know the landscaping and cleanliness Naples offers is a high standard and Sarasota might be a few levels below in that aspect, no offense intended, however it might make up in other aspects.

Naples has me spoiled just how convenient it is to roll up to its many beach access points and go for a swim, many of the times I’m at the beach less then an hour, I don’t make a whole day activity of it. Where’s the best access points in Sarasota? Say I’m living within a few miles of downtown. I know it won’t be as convenient Naples but what’s the most convenient?

Also is the general population pretty young or does it still have an older snow bird vibe?

Any personal positive or negative things you have to add please do!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-20-2019, 08:44 AM

2,670 posts, read 1,977,296 times
Sarasota has a younger demographic -- median age in Naples is 61, versus 41 in Sarasota (Wikipedia). Sarasota is also larger, and has more to do. Beach access varies depending on where in Sarasota you live. Generally, the southern part of the city is closer to beaches, and you have a choice of a half dozen beaches within a half hour of downtown. In south central Sarasota, we are 10-15 min from the beach. As far as landscaping and cleanliness, its like everyplace else -- where can you afford to live?

Naples is great if you have a boat or love golf, but those things are available in SRQ also, along with other amenities. We much prefer Sarasota.

Old 04-20-2019, 08:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CapnTrips View Post
Sarasota has a younger demographic -- median age in Naples is 61, versus 41 in Sarasota (Wikipedia). Sarasota is also larger, and has more to do. Beach access varies depending on where in Sarasota you live. Generally, the southern part of the city is closer to beaches, and you have a choice of a half dozen beaches within a half hour of downtown. In south central Sarasota, we are 10-15 min from the beach. As far as landscaping and cleanliness, its like everyplace else -- where can you afford to live?

Naples is great if you have a boat or love golf, but those things are available in SRQ also, along with other amenities. We much prefer Sarasota.
Appreciate the time you made to respond. So even from downtown it’s about half an hour? Just to get over the bridge and find a parking spot? I’m assuming season is a gridlock and summer is more flowing traffic wise.
Does Sarasota offer beach stickers for county residents?

Old 04-20-2019, 08:59 AM

16,725 posts, read 36,246,549 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JPrzybylski07 View Post
Appreciate the time you made to respond. So even from downtown it’s about half an hour? Just to get over the bridge and find a parking spot? I’m assuming season is a gridlock and summer is more flowing traffic wise.
If you live downtown - go to Lido Beach! Ten minutes or less. I used to live downtown, it's just over the Ringling Bridge. While Sarasota does have its snowbirds and older demographic, there are plenty of young people from the three colleges here - USF, Ringling and New College. It's a way better place to live than Naples, IMO.

Old 04-20-2019, 10:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gypsychic View Post
If you live downtown - go to Lido Beach! Ten minutes or less. I used to live downtown, it's just over the Ringling Bridge. While Sarasota does have its snowbirds and older demographic, there are plenty of young people from the three colleges here - USF, Ringling and New College. It's a way better place to live than Naples, IMO.
Appreciate your response, have a great day!

Old 04-20-2019, 09:52 PM

333 posts, read 206,048 times
I love Sarasota and I think it is better than Naples. But if median age was a concern in Naples, it will definitely also be in Sarasota. I'm not sure where some posters are getting info, median age is Sarasota is I believe 55. A large percentage of the population is 65+. Definitely a lot of older folks around. 20s and 30s folks are a little more hard to find.

Try St Pete or Tampa if you want a slightly younger vibe. Sarasota is a great town though. Lots to do.

Old 04-21-2019, 08:14 AM

16,725 posts, read 36,246,549 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kombuchaluchador View Post
I love Sarasota and I think it is better than Naples. But if median age was a concern in Naples, it will definitely also be in Sarasota. I'm not sure where some posters are getting info, median age is Sarasota is I believe 55. A large percentage of the population is 65+. Definitely a lot of older folks around. 20s and 30s folks are a little more hard to find.

Try St Pete or Tampa if you want a slightly younger vibe. Sarasota is a great town though. Lots to do.
Do you live here? People always quote "median age". And by the way, median age here is 45 not 55.I see tons of younger people all the time. I have lived here 25 years. I am on the north trail with all the colleges, and besides that have lots of friends in their 30s most of whom live in developments like Lakewood Ranch.

OP, come here and see for yourself. I did say in my post that there are older people here, but mostly young active boomers. The older people seem to be mostly on the south side of town. Younger folks on the north, downtown and on Siesta Key. It is certainly WAY YOUNGER than Naples or Venice.

Old 04-21-2019, 08:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPrzybylski07 View Post

No, from downtown you can get to Lido Beach in about 10 minutes, depending on traffic. I meant that you have multiple choices, all within a half hour drive of central Sarasota. IMO, the best thing about Lido is that its close to St. Armand's Circle and Downtown, and has a nice park on the south side of the Key. Strictly beach-wise, there are better choices in the area.

I've never heard of parking stickers, but we're fairly new here ourselves. I understand there's now or there soon will be a fee for parking on Siesta Beach (not sure bc we rarely go there, preferring Turtle Beach on Siesta Key instead).

Old 04-21-2019, 08:44 AM

Seems that posters are coming up with different median ages for Sarasota depending on the sources. I guess when you have an older demographic the numbers change frequently.

Whatever the exact numbers are, Sarasota does have a higher percentage of retirees than your typical small American city, but not as high as Naples or Venice. As Gypsychic said, older people are mostly on the south side of town. Younger folks on the north, downtown, and on Siesta Key.

Old 04-21-2019, 01:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gypsychic View Post
Do you live here? People always quote "median age". And by the way, median age here is 45 not 55.I see tons of younger people all the time. I have lived here 25 years. I am on the north trail with all the colleges, and besides that have lots of friends in their 30s most of whom live in developments like Lakewood Ranch.

OP, come here and see for yourself. I did say in my post that there are older people here, but mostly young active boomers. The older people seem to be mostly on the south side of town. Younger folks on the north, downtown and on Siesta Key. It is certainly WAY YOUNGER than Naples or Venice.
Will do, tomorrow coming up from Naples and spending the entire day bumming around and getting a better feel for it. It seems south of downtown is the best bet as far as closet access to beach areas (not just water) but where you can safely swim. I don’t care if where I live as far as resting my head at night is in an older demographic community if it’s location is situated right by the younger action, like downtown and Siesta Beach. So it’s seems just slightly southeast of the downtown area is ideal.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area