Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area
 [Register]
Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area Manatee and Sarasota Counties
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-08-2019, 06:05 PM

12 posts, read 13,619 times

Advertisements

My wife and I were in the Sarasota area for the month of April and we like the downtown, UTC area and Lakewood Ranch. We went on the Lakewood bus tour and checked out a few condos and houses there and it seems like you can get in at many different levels, depending on what you want to spend on your dwelling and what level of maintenance you want or don’t want covered, or what level of amenities you want. There are so many choices that it was a little confusing. I thought it was going to be like the Villages but it was a lot younger feeling and actually the average age group is around 47.
Has anyone had any experience with LWR? Likes, dislikes?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-09-2019, 05:47 AM

5,662 posts, read 10,741,856 times
It sounds like you’ve done all the right things, so to speak. The thing is, Lakewood Ranch is a community but it is made up of several different types of neighborhoods. It’s one place but it’s many places, too. And, of course, it’s still growing.

I think you’ll be best served by making a list of the things you want in a new home and community and then comparing each place to see which one checks the most boxes. The success of Lakewood Ranch is probably due to the fact that the variety makes it possible to check off many boxes for many buyers. Obviously, it’s not going to give everyone all the things they want (especially people who want to be on or near the beach or have a boat on a canal in their backyard) but that’s OK. There are options elsewhere.

Old 05-09-2019, 11:45 AM

105 posts, read 146,446 times
Do you have children?

Old 05-09-2019, 03:16 PM

4,615 posts, read 7,537,235 times
Here's a recent article out in the LWR magazine you might like:
https://lakewoodranch.com/wp-content...sToLoveLWR.pdf

When you last visited Lakewood Ranch, did you stop by one of the Visitors Centers? I am asking because they have a great handout packet of info that includes a map showing all of the current communities.

There's a LWR Mom's Group:
Members | Lakewood Ranch Moms Group, Inc. | Page 4

And last but not least, there's a website for people living or looking to live in LWR called Lakewood Ranch Talking:
Lakewood Ranch Talking

Old 05-09-2019, 05:55 PM

12 posts, read 13,619 times
We do not have children. Also, I have been reading a lot about Palmer Ranch, how do they compare?
Thanks

Old 05-10-2019, 07:27 AM

25,729 posts, read 12,800,389 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trogger View Post
We do not have children. Also, I have been reading a lot about Palmer Ranch, how do they compare?
Thanks
Palmer Ranch is ~20 years older, and mostly built out. Tough to find much new construction there. There's some along Honore but ~1/2 of it is too close to I-75 and the traffic noise. Palmer Ranches residents are older too. Not a lot of kids, or residents <50 yrs old in Palmer Ranch.

IMHO, Palmer Ranch is a better location...more centrally located. Check our Turtle Creek in Palmer Ranch. Great location, not too old, next to Legacy Trail, close to shopping, and gated w/ guard. Very safe low crime area.

If you could find new construction along Honore on the Legacy Trail side of Honore away from I-75, that would be the best opportunity for new construction in Palmer Ranch.

For me personally, I don't like Lakewood Ranches location, out East of I-75. Too far from Downtown Sarasota, and the Beaches, and I don't need to be near I-75. I lived there years ago and commuted into Tampa daily, but now, no need for I-75 fast access. I hated driving from Lakewood Ranch to beaches or to Downtown SRQ. The traffic lights along 64 and 70 are not synched, so travelling West is maddening. University Pkwy is better once you get past the huge retail mecca.

Old 05-10-2019, 07:51 AM

390 posts, read 397,271 times
I don't see why my whole post had to be removed. It would have been more appropriate to just remove the link. Recap: Plenty of other nice places to live in the eastern Manatee county area. Don't limit yourself to Lakewood Ranch when doing initial searches. We decided to buy in GreyHawk Landing because the fees were much cheaper (less than $2k/yr) than in Lakewood Ranch and we got so much more for our money by being just outside the Lakewood Ranch master community. Use the most popular search engine and type in "Lakewood Ranch fees" and then find the heading that starts "HOA and CDD Fees" for an idea of what you'll pay there and compare against what you get for amenities: https://lakewoodranch.com/wp-content...ix_Handout.pdf

Old 05-10-2019, 08:37 AM

94 posts, read 111,707 times
((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((News Flash)))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))) The vast majority of families, natives, long time locals and residents, DO NOT hang out "at the beach"...any beach. that's just a fact. It's also true about the residents of Tampa, Carrollwood, WestChase, Brandon, Riverview, St Pete, Safety Harbor, New Tampa, Avila or most other bay area population centers. Similarly, the residents of the VAST Lakewood Ranch developments aren't clamoring to hand out "at the beach" on a continuum.......neither do residents at University Park, University Place, University Groves, Palm Aire, Mote Ranch, Cascades, Rio Mar, The Meadows, Braden River, Creekwood, Desoto Acres, WoodBrook, Amalfi, Arbor Reserve, the plethora of new developments along or adjacent to Lockwood Ridge from Honore to SR 70, Whitfield, Soleil, Oak Gorve, Country Park, Cypress Lake, Rosedale (off sr70), Longwood Run...and ON and ON and ON. A case can also be made that the DT high-end condo owners (800+$) DO NOT spend time "at the beach" EITHER. Look around> the demand is being filled by hamlets and clusters being built (and SOLD) FAR away from "the beach". Most residents simply have no constant "urge" to go to the beach...people and families are BUSY, or busy trying not to have added hassle in the first place.

Old 05-10-2019, 09:45 AM

1,599 posts, read 1,430,572 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trogger View Post
My wife and I were in the Sarasota area for the month of April and we like the downtown, UTC area and Lakewood Ranch. We went on the Lakewood bus tour and checked out a few condos and houses there and it seems like you can get in at many different levels, depending on what you want to spend on your dwelling and what level of maintenance you want or don’t want covered, or what level of amenities you want. There are so many choices that it was a little confusing. I thought it was going to be like the Villages but it was a lot younger feeling and actually the average age group is around 47.
Has anyone had any experience with LWR? Likes, dislikes?

On our house hunting tour we drove off 75 out to Lakewood. Seemed to be way far out on a narrow road. I hate to drive that at night. There were various builders and a bit of a pain to get to see each place. The developments looked nice but I felt the location was more in the boonies.

We passed.

Good luck with your choice.

Old 05-10-2019, 10:22 AM

94 posts, read 111,707 times
"boonies" ??? LOL ...guess what? those "boonies" are quite attractive as a great alternative...just ask Benderson, Walmart, Publix, Lennar, Pulte, Neal, Taylor Morrison, SMR, Manatee County Planning, Sarasota Planning, Verizon, FDOT and a bunch of BANKS and INVESTORS. Get real.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area