Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area
 [Register]
Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area Manatee and Sarasota Counties
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-30-2019, 11:17 AM

65 posts, read 259,934 times

Advertisements

I've been looking at homes in Englewood with the hope of adding a pool after purchase. Can anyone give me an idea of how much it would be to put in an average-sized pool with cage? The homes I'm interested in are on over 1/4 acre with nice large backyards.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-30-2019, 12:13 PM

25,690 posts, read 12,772,161 times
This company says $35,000-$60,000 in South Florida. I'm thinking Englewood would cost less. I doubt this range includes a cage, and it doesn't include a spa. I'm not sure if it includes the fencing around it that may be required. You'll have to read the entire article. I'd count on the higher end of this range to be safe.

Pools also add to your homeowners insurance, and utilities. You'll also lose a lot to depreciation. I've read that the most you can hope to recoup on your pool investment is 40%. Thus, it would be better to buy a home with an existing pool so long as its newer and not in need of refurb. Then, there's the salt, or chemicals, and ongoing maintenance.

https://www.reeftropical.com/blog/th...ed-to-consider

I looked at this 1.5 years ago, and even met with 2 pool company's to spec it all out and get a price. I was going above averge in size, and finishes, and I wanted a cage. My pricing was coming in ~$70,000.

During the process, we asked everyone we came in contact with if they had a pool, and if so, how often they used it. Most said they used it a lot when kids or grandkids were in the picture, but very little otherwise.

We decided to just screen in the large covered Lanai area instead, and live with that for a while. If our family wants to use a pool, our community has one that is much nicer than anything I was willing to pay for. We can always change our minds and put one in later if we decide we can't live without our own pool.

1.5 years later, we are find with our decision. I guess we are just not pool people, or we are just more frugal than most. We'd rather spend that money traveling, but everyone's different.

Old 08-31-2019, 05:40 PM

65 posts, read 259,934 times
Thank you for the detailed reply!

Old 08-31-2019, 07:12 PM

3,650 posts, read 9,498,811 times
I say 40 grand is about average - without the cage - I used my pool every night - jump right in and relax - I would never want to use a community pool - no privacy and kids peeing and adult diapers and all that -

I suggest you buy a home with an existing pool - pools cost too much these days.

Old 08-31-2019, 07:26 PM

9,742 posts, read 4,491,618 times
In 2012 in PG a new basic heated pool with cage cost me 30k. I used Fulton who I would highly recommend. With inflation I would guess 35 to 38k.

Old 09-06-2019, 07:28 PM

2,407 posts, read 3,186,786 times
Don't forget a house with a pool pays higher property taxes as well since the house is assessed at a higher price.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area
View detailed profiles of: