Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area
 [Register]
Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area Manatee and Sarasota Counties
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-17-2008, 05:56 PM

83 posts, read 276,372 times

Advertisements

Here in CT it's mainly Lowe's and Home Depot. When we move to LR next month I need to get some laminate flooring and granite countertop and plantation shutters. I realize there's probably Home Depot down there, but is there any other competition (as I can't stick Home Depot)? Alternatively, are there any decent local "names"?

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-18-2008, 05:25 AM

27,232 posts, read 46,497,515 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mariadbd View Post
Here in CT it's mainly Lowe's and Home Depot. When we move to LR next month I need to get some laminate flooring and granite countertop and plantation shutters. I realize there's probably Home Depot down there, but is there any other competition (as I can't stick Home Depot)? Alternatively, are there any decent local "names"?

Thanks
The only real recommendation would be to get a copy of the Yellow Pages and ask around. The newspapers run a best of ...... every year--but only once a year.

I don't know that Lowe's has any other stores other than the one on Cortez. I know the CLOSEST store would probably be the Home Depot on University Parkway...but there's another store...I want to say Ace Hardware...but I'm not sure. Even there, I'm not sure you'll find the things you're looking for at a BASIC hardware store. Nor at a "home decor" store like Dockside Imports. You're looking at "specialty" items--countertops, cabinetry, flooring, and shutters...all have companies that deal with that specialty (well, cabinets and countertops go together).

I understand if you don't like Home Depot. They're large, and it can be hard to find someone to spend the kind of time you need them to spend to discuss all your options. Lucky for me, I worked in paint...and didn't really get thrown TOO many curveballs. But I always took the time to make the customer happy. Now...I really don't have to deal with customers at all, since I work freight now. I'm sorry if you've had bad experiences with a store...although I'd be surprised to hear that Lowe's is that much different, since they run on the same "big box" concept.

Old 04-18-2008, 07:26 AM

Default Thanks!

Thanks so much for your help!
M

Old 04-19-2008, 06:24 AM

Crowder Brothers opened a new store in Lakewood Ranch a month or so ago. Ace. So it must have been another hardware store I was applying to back in November.

(I was unhappy with my job at Home Depot....but I couldn't find anyone who would hire me AND match my salary. So I was "stuck" at Home Depot.)

Old 04-19-2008, 11:33 AM

8,189 posts, read 31,144,497 times
There are TONS of places to get flooring, countertops, and window treatments. For flooring try Manasota Flooring Manasota Flooring and for granite try Design Works Design Works Florida, kitchens, bathrooms, tile, cabinets, electronics Design Works has not updated their website, but they have some awesome granite.

I can't help with window treatments because I have never bought any down here, they have always "come with the windows" and I am too lazy to mess with them.

Poke around and find the best pricing.

Old 04-19-2008, 03:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Racelady88 View Post
There are TONS of places to get flooring, countertops, and window treatments. For flooring try Manasota Flooring Manasota Flooring and for granite try Design Works Design Works Florida, kitchens, bathrooms, tile, cabinets, electronics Design Works has not updated their website, but they have some awesome granite.

I can't help with window treatments because I have never bought any down here, they have always "come with the windows" and I am too lazy to mess with them.

Poke around and find the best pricing.
Well, if you went out to Venice, Center Avenue is where PGT is...or some other company that produces windows. I forgot all about "Floors Today"...but when I walked by it today, I found that's it's been closed, out of business, since January!

Old 04-19-2008, 03:51 PM

Default Thank you to all!

For the great info!

Old 05-13-2008, 09:07 AM

3 posts, read 5,394 times
Don't know if you found a flooring store yet, but I own a flooring company near Lakewood Ranch called Overturf Flooring that specializes in laminate and hardwood. Much better and more reliable installations than you'll get from a big box store. I've got a long list of happy clients, in fact you can see some job pictures and testimonials at Overturf Flooring - Florida Hardwood Professional Installers (http://www.overturfonline.com/flooring - broken link).

Having trouble getting the link to work.

Feel free to let me know if I can help.

Old 05-18-2008, 10:55 PM

2 posts, read 4,562 times
HI. mariadbd,

I hope you have found the answer to your question yet.

We are stone manufacturer and exporter,based in Xiamen, China. If you are interested to see more granite flooring tiles or granite countertops, welcome to visit our website CTS Í©ÖÞʯҵ CHINA TONGZHOU STONE

Should you have any further enquiry, please free to contact us.

Have a nice day.

Mr.Donny Chen

China Tongzhou Stone
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area