Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area
 [Register]
Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area Manatee and Sarasota Counties
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-14-2020, 05:43 PM

6,681 posts, read 4,379,439 times

Advertisements

I'm reading that there is panic buying / shortages / and long lines at many stores. Among the items in big demand and low supply: hand sanitizer and toilet paper. I haven't been shopping for a few weeks - so how are the stores in this area faring? (Darn and I'm running low on toilet paper) -

Article from USA Today:
Preparing for the coronavirus: Shoppers are finding empty shelves, long lines at stores nationwide
https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.usa...amp/5041064002

"At stores across the U.S., shelves are being picked bare. The coronavirus is spurring panicked shoppers to stock up on products ranging from cleansing wipes to peanut butter as they prepare to hunker down in the midst of the growing pandemic."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-14-2020, 06:01 PM

37,315 posts, read 59,524,542 times
Someone in my community in Nokomis posted picture on NextDoor that Walmart in Nokomis had vacant shelves for toilet paper, hand sanitizer, Clorox wipes and other items in high demand
Here in DFW TX area I was in a smaller Kroger’s yesterday to pick up a RX for my dog
There was a line that went to the back of the story of people waiting to check out—they came to the front and then went to which cashier was open—
Like at Home Goods

My husband went out today because Target’s app said there was TP at store close to us but it was gone when he got there
Someone at another Target (still looking) said they opened at 8am and tp was gone by 802
And that is with limits on how many packages people can buy

So if you havne’t been shopping and do need to stock up for even normal living good luck

The stores in my area have seen runs on meat, beans, flour
Surprisingly frozen pizza is still in supply and lot of other frozen foods
I bought a flat (12 cans) of corn at Costco, green beans at Kroger and other canned goods last week

Our 44 yr old son and his wife are living with us
He was diagnosed in Nov with cancer
Has been ill for two years
So we have special concern about exposure but he has to go for chemo and dr’s visits
We also use nytril gloves, lot of paper towels and Kleenex, pedialyte and Gatorade—and toilet paper—
If worse comes to worse we can use Kleenex and bin them vs flushing or use rags and use the sanitize cycle on the washer

Plus I have a dog w/a special diet
Got 4 flats of her dog food, extra medicine she takes daily
But need to get some frozen fish from Costco to use with her canned food...

Someone in my Nokomis neighborhood speculated that govt may close restaurants and other public gathering places in next two weeks
In China grocery stores could only allow so many people in at one time and had their hours restricted

Of course here in the US people have difficulty obeying rules and following authority
Homeless man that tested positive for Corona virus in Washington state walked away from the motel the county of Seattle (or the city) had bought to house/contain those who needed a place to quarantine
The security guard at the motel told him to come back inside his room and the guy ignored him
Went to local store, shoplifted some items, then caught a bus and left to who knows where

That is the problem that our health/law officials will be dealing with in coming days

Consider what is happening in the jails/prisons/refugee holding locations
Close proximity, poor sanitation—-the more stress on the system, the more difficult to flatten the curve...

Old 03-14-2020, 06:07 PM

Watch Dr. John Campbell on YouTube
English dr giving good advice and explanations
No hype but logical info based on his long experience and reading a lot of scientific info about this virus

Old 03-14-2020, 06:35 PM

How Italy is keeping up spirits and a feeling of community
https://www.cnbc.com/2020/03/14/coro...balconies.html

Old 03-15-2020, 07:10 AM
gg

26,137 posts, read 25,783,846 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by loves2read View Post
You do realize this spreads INSIDE more than outside so in HVAC space temps are normally 76 or so
So your point is what? Scientists don't know if this virus could have a cycle that could make it diminish when weather warms up across our country. You do realize there are scientists studying this, right? They don't know yet if weather could play a role. Therefore, I am hopeful it does. Geez, you seem to have issues.

Old 03-15-2020, 01:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wondermint2 View Post
I'm reading that there is panic buying / shortages / and long lines at many stores. Among the items in big demand and low supply: hand sanitizer and toilet paper. I haven't been shopping for a few weeks - so how are the stores in this area faring? (Darn and I'm running low on toilet paper) -

Article from USA Today:
Preparing for the coronavirus: Shoppers are finding empty shelves, long lines at stores nationwide
https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.usa...amp/5041064002

"At stores across the U.S., shelves are being picked bare. The coronavirus is spurring panicked shoppers to stock up on products ranging from cleansing wipes to peanut butter as they prepare to hunker down in the midst of the growing pandemic."
Publix closing at 8PM and Walmart closing at 11PM until further notice:

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/st...re/ar-BB11cnGf

"Stores cutting hours or closing because of coronavirus: Walmart, Apple, Nike, Publix, Kroger, more

Retailers across the nation are trimming store hours to focus on deep cleanings and to restock store shelves. Some are closing stores, too."

Old 03-15-2020, 05:28 PM

4,782 posts, read 10,539,532 times
My wife did her usual early Sunday morning run to our local Publix, Laurel Rd just west of I-75...
She usually grabs a couple of newspapers for me, maybe some sushi/sashimi if the sushi guy has shown up, maybe something 'fresh' for dinner.

She reported the parking lot packed, as was the store inside. Any type of 'cleaning product' shelf(eves) were empty, as were much of the meat/fish/milk/frozen food cases.

As they don't have self checkout, the check out lines were long, grouchy people; the <10 items line she was in were populated by many people with carts full of stuff, etc.

Her cashier was tired and grouchy and said that there was a large crowd of people waiting for the store to open when she came to work, and 'they stormed in like Black Friday shoppers' when the doors were opened.

No sushi/sashimi or fresh stuff for a light Sunday eve dinner, but they did have local paper/NYTimes/WSJ for my reading...my CEO said it was bizarre.

1st world problem/situ and I hope this passes in time and that none of us pass, or even get an illness of any version.
Anecdotal, but a slice of life from RetiredBumdom, here in Venice area.
GL, mD

Old 03-15-2020, 05:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by motordavid View Post
My wife did her usual early Sunday morning run to our local Publix, Laurel Rd just west of I-75...
She usually grabs a couple of newspapers for me, maybe some sushi/sashimi if the sushi guy has shown up, maybe something 'fresh' for dinner.

She reported the parking lot packed, as was the store inside. Any type of 'cleaning product' shelf(eves) were empty, as were much of the meat/fish/milk/frozen food cases.

As they don't have self checkout, the check out lines were long, grouchy people; the <10 items line she was in were populated by many people with carts full of stuff, etc.

Her cashier was tired and grouchy and said that there was a large crowd of people waiting for the store to open when she came to work, and 'they stormed in like Black Friday shoppers' when the doors were opened.

No sushi/sashimi or fresh stuff for a light Sunday eve dinner, but they did have local paper/NYTimes/WSJ for my reading...my CEO said it was bizarre.

1st world problem/situ and I hope this passes in time and that none of us pass, or even get an illness of any version.
Anecdotal, but a slice of life from RetiredBumdom, here in Venice area.
GL, mD
Thanks for the update. I'm wondering if ordering online and having it delivered would be a better option. All of the major groceries around here deliver now - I believe Aldi and Publix partner with Instacart, while Walmart hired a different company to handle their deliveries. I have tried delivery before with Aldi and Walmart - and overall I was pleased with it. Of course that was before the coronavirus update.

I'm running a bit low on some items - but I'm thinking if I can hold out another week before shopping - perhaps the rush/panic might die down a bit.

Old 03-15-2020, 07:21 PM

4,782 posts, read 10,539,532 times
As for 'delivery', not sure I need an employee picking out our stuff/list.
And, I like grocery/stuff shopping looking at what the store has, on sale, diff sizes/brands, etc.

And, if they don't have the stuff one needs what is the upside to a 10-50% list filled delivery.

Not going to crowded places, but a careful peruse of a store when we must, is OK with precaution.

Another for hoping the 'rush' and quantity buying subsides...
GL, mD

Old 03-15-2020, 07:44 PM

The president came out with some good advice today:

Trump says 'relax,' urges against hoarding as coronavirus cases soar and Fed cuts rates to zero
PUBLISHED SUN, MAR 15 2020 5:24 PM EDT
https://news.google.com/articles/CAI...S&ceid=US%3Aen

KEY POINTS:
President Donald Trump urged Americans not to hoard food on Sunday during a White House press conference that came just minutes after the Federal Reserve announced new steps to shield the U.S. economy from the effects of the coronavirus pandemic.

"You don't have to buy so much," Trump said. "Take it easy. Relax."

U.S. cases have ballooned over the last two weeks from roughly 100 confirmed infections on March 1 to almost 3,300 on Sunday, according to data compiled by the World Health Organization, the CDC and Johns Hopkins University.

--------------------------------------------------------------------

I thought this tidbit from the article was interesting:

"Dow futures plunged shortly after the president's remarks despite the central bank action, hitting the 5% "limit down" threshold implemented by the CME futures exchange to prevent panic selling. "

IMO not a good time to be panicking with stocks either. Although my best guess is that the bear market isn't over yet.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area