U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area
 [Register]
Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area Manatee and Sarasota Counties
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-28-2006, 06:21 PM

7 posts, read 97,673 times

Advertisements

Does anyone have any inside scoop on these particular neighborhoods - the Riverview historic district and Wares Creek? We live in Orlando now, but eventually we want to retire (away from the bad traffic here) close to the beach. We love Anna Maria Island, but can't afford it and would be happy just being a short drive away.
I love what I see driving through the above-mentioned neighborhoods. I was married to a New Urbanist architect for many years, and have lived in Celebration FL, so I appreciate and would like to live in a "walkable" neighborhood. The architecture of the older "craftsman" style homes appeals to me, and we would be happy with a fixer-upper. We do not want to be in a gated, cul-de-sac, suburban area, so again, these neighborhoods look like they're right up our alley.
I'm just wondering if these neighborhoods are upwardly mobile, with more people moving in to fix up houses and take pride in their neighborhood, or could they be more on the downhill swing? It's hard to tell, just driving through. What about crime? What are the general thoughts, the reputations, of these neighborhoods as places to live?
I'd appreciate any info anyone has. Thanks so much!

Old 12-29-2006, 11:09 AM

4,544 posts, read 11,482,116 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marybs View Post
Does anyone have any inside scoop on these particular neighborhoods - the Riverview historic district and Wares Creek? We live in Orlando now, but eventually we want to retire (away from the bad traffic here) close to the beach. We love Anna Maria Island, but can't afford it and would be happy just being a short drive away.
I love what I see driving through the above-mentioned neighborhoods. I was married to a New Urbanist architect for many years, and have lived in Celebration FL, so I appreciate and would like to live in a "walkable" neighborhood. The architecture of the older "craftsman" style homes appeals to me, and we would be happy with a fixer-upper. We do not want to be in a gated, cul-de-sac, suburban area, so again, these neighborhoods look like they're right up our alley.
I'm just wondering if these neighborhoods are upwardly mobile, with more people moving in to fix up houses and take pride in their neighborhood, or could they be more on the downhill swing? It's hard to tell, just driving through. What about crime? What are the general thoughts, the reputations, of these neighborhoods as places to live?
I'd appreciate any info anyone has. Thanks so much!
I've lived in Bradenton (built my home on Tampa Bay on Anna Maria back in 1994) for fifteen years.

The Riverview Blvd. area is by far the most scenic. Wares Creek has flooding problems and is on the verge of crack neighborhoods. We have had an ongoing drug problem on 14th street between Manatee & Cortez roads for the past 10 years which has recently been moved back to 13th and 12th streets...

Our crack problem in Bradenton is from the island to the ghettos...almost every crime we have has crack involved. And I'm sure we're not the only city in Florida with this epidemic but it's highly prevelent.

There isn't much crime going on the river side...as far as "walk able"...night time isn't the right time....I think the holiday season has brought out more muggings and robberies than before, again, that could be happening in any state/town...it just seems more pronounced than last year.

I don't know if you could call these neighborhoods upwardly mobile...they're basically older homes with character and termites...but at least a lot nicer to look at than the golf course developments where the homes are new with no character....same old same old....I'd pick termites any day!

We have a new condo development that has been protested for the past fifteen years about to go up right before the bridge to Anna Maria...over 700 units and just one way in and out onto Manatee Avenue which is a two lane road......all of us who've lived here forever are loling on this one...wait till hurricane season....this will become a driver's nightmare and one of the reasons I no longer live on the island.......besides that, they're now putting two houses on lots where one house was, all over the island and the quaint charm that has resisted a McDonald's is now allowing tourist bunkers.....insane!

It all just says that I've done my Florida time, it's been nice, but much too long....maybe I just grew up and realized that living where people take their vacations just isn't what it's cracked up to be...

Bradenton used to be just a cow town...now it just outgrew it's pasture!

Old 12-29-2006, 11:47 AM

8,191 posts, read 26,323,602 times
Personally, I like the Ware's Creek area. My in laws live there. While there may be a drug problem, I have never seen the evidence in that area. My in laws have not been robbed, raped, or murdered in their sleep.

Old 12-29-2006, 12:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evey View Post
Personally, I like the Ware's Creek area. My in laws live there. While there may be a drug problem, I have never seen the evidence in that area. My in laws have not been robbed, raped, or murdered in their sleep.

They are very fortunate...seriously, it's not like you walk out your door, cross the street and slip on a crack pipe...it's just that anyone that knows Bradenton, except for realtors, who can't discriminate, knows the bounderies of the areas...

When you're only in a Florida town for a week or two, you're more likely to know where the beaches are, not the drugs....

We currently have three murder trials about to begin...all involve drugs, all are young men between 18 and 29 who have killed their parents over money and drugs...which there seems to be too much of in Bradenton...if you want the real story, ask the locals.

Old 12-29-2006, 01:18 PM

27 posts, read 99,192 times
im a twenty something male and i know drugs are everywhere not just bradenton im from north eastern pa orginally now live in pinellas county. and there is a big meth problem there. from what i hear polk county florida also has that problem.. this is a countrywide issue and it should be delt with accordingly by the federal governement otherwise the future in america could be in jeopardy.

Old 12-29-2006, 01:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by clearwaterlargodude View Post
im a twenty something male and i know drugs are everywhere not just bradenton im from north eastern pa orginally now live in pinellas county. and there is a big meth problem there. from what i hear polk county florida also has that problem.. this is a countrywide issue and it should be delt with accordingly by the federal governement otherwise the future in america could be in jeopardy.

So very true...it seems the more rural part of a state, the more meth...america is in jeopardy, our citizens just don't realize they're losing the game

Old 12-29-2006, 03:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by clearwaterlargodude View Post
amen, urban pinellas is more of the traditional drug problem of pot, and cocaine problem, but u are right rural areas are just being devistated by this meth problem, rural lakeland, ocala, the panhandle area have them problems

so when people ask about i.e. Bradenton....it's like I want to say, pretty as a picture by day but filled with creepy crawlers at night....lol...

Old 12-30-2006, 07:32 AM

133 posts, read 495,341 times
Default areas of Tallahassee drugs?

Hi,

After reading these posts, want to ask if anyone knows Tallahassee areas that need to be avoided b/c of drugs?

I like the Midtown area, the Indianhead area the best so far. Midtown is near downtown with the quaint houses. Am sure there are some parts of it that are not good, but think there are areas that are coming back.

I want a place with more character myself and don't want to be in a gated community with no trees, so Tallahassee is starting to look good to me b/c it has more character neighborhoods still and is on a higher elevation than other Florida cities.

Old 12-31-2006, 09:33 PM

7 posts, read 97,673 times
Thanks everyone for your straightforward, honest replies.

Old 12-31-2006, 11:46 PM

220 posts, read 945,043 times
Try from about 59th street West and stay West of that and North of Manatee. The farther West the better.

There's a lot to like about Tallahassee, did 4 yrs there not counting 6 of school in the 70s.
The meth problem, they don't even know it's here but it's BAD. Chat (khat, Ghat etc), too. They don't even know what it is but with the Haitian and African immigration thing at the pace it's at, most locals don't even know it's illegal or dangerous... they just think it's produce. It will be really nasty before that gets addressed.

You have these problems anywhere, just do you homework like you're doing. Good luck!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2013 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area