Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area
 [Register]
Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area Manatee and Sarasota Counties
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-20-2008, 08:46 AM

657 posts, read 1,787,844 times

Advertisements

when the time comes... hopefully very soon... i was wondering if anyone has any info on the least expensive reliable moving choice. from CT to sarasota county. we see alot of the pod commercials and then the trucks and uhauls. mostly just personal items and our bedrooms. and dining room. a few tvs. then there might be a couple ATVS.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-20-2008, 11:44 AM

1,938 posts, read 6,260,315 times
We moved ourselves but got our truck from Penske. I think the average cost is going to be around 7,000 for an actual moving company, I think that was what we found. For some reason that number is sticking in my head, thats why we did it ourselves. My husband called alot of places but found it was just going to cost too much!

Old 05-20-2008, 07:38 PM

50 posts, read 204,968 times
We're in the same boat. We looked into several moving companies and no one gave us a quote under $6000 for a complete move. One company we contacted will do the actual "move" for you. You have to pack your stuff, load the truck and unload the truck. But they will haul it for you for less than a moving company will. They charge by the actual space your stuff takes up on their truck. Can't remember their name right now (it's pretty well known national company, I'm just tired). In any case, their quote was around $3500. I believe.

We're now looking into Budget and Penske for rental trucks - the quotes are around $600 and $700 + gas expenses.

I've heard rumors that there are small businesses out there that offer load/unload help and charge by the hour for labor. For instance, we are looking to move ourselves but won't have help loading or unloading our truck. I can pack my own belongings and my husband can drive a truck just fine. But what I'd LOVE is a few extra strong bodies to make the unloading part of the process quick and easy when we arrive!

Old 05-21-2008, 06:49 AM

we are also trying to figure out how were going to get our vehicles there, i think we are going to drive my husbands truck ford f250 and haul my toyota highlander to save miles and gas but then i dont know about driving an extra moving truck loaded with all our stuff. my husband and his toys. LOL. we have now a 4 wheeler plus another that is the brotherinlaws who moved to canada and wants us to keep it for him, so 2 of those, and a lawn tractor, hes trying to sell the snowmobile he just had to have, and wishes he never bought. so all those things to move are not easy unless we can sell them first.
if we got a big enough truck, since were not taking alot of furniture, mby we can fit them in the truck. thanx for the info.

Old 05-22-2008, 08:52 AM

153 posts, read 479,917 times
Keelybella - I think you are thinking of Upack. I just made a reservation with them. With the price of gas it was definately the best option for us. I think Uhaul and Penske were a little cheaper but then to add in the price of gas....

Old 05-22-2008, 09:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pamperedrachel View Post
Keelybella - I think you are thinking of Upack. I just made a reservation with them. With the price of gas it was definately the best option for us. I think Uhaul and Penske were a little cheaper but then to add in the price of gas....
That's the company! Thanks! It's amazing I couldn't remember the company name when the name literally tells one what they offer Guess all this moving business is making me loopy!

Old 05-23-2008, 05:16 AM

[quote=keelybella;3847458]That's the company! Thanks! It's amazing I couldn't remember the company name when the name literally tells one what they offer Guess all this moving business is making me loopy![/QUOT
where are u moving to and from? i am not even ready yet and im stressed.lol

Old 05-23-2008, 11:29 AM

[quote=hdzup3;3857683]
Quote:
Originally Posted by keelybella View Post
That's the company! Thanks! It's amazing I couldn't remember the company name when the name literally tells one what they offer Guess all this moving business is making me loopy![/QUOT
where are u moving to and from? i am not even ready yet and im stressed.lol
Moving to Bradenton from East Tn. Don't get me wrong, it's stressful! But I'm more anxious than anything at this point. Since we have a few more months, I'm in a bit of a purging mode. I'm selling or donating a ton of our belongings. You know, like the things we haven't used in the past year or forgot we owned? It's easier to visualize the move with less stuff.

I know Penske and Budget rent tow-behind trailers for under $200. Mostly for vehicles, but maybe they have some sort of tow-behind trailer that would work for one or more of your recreational vehicles?

We've been researching and debating for a long time about this move. It has just come to a point where we know what we want and we are going to make it happen. You'll read a ton of negative remarks on this forum and it can add to the stress levels. In the end, if it's what you want, go for it! Life is too short

Old 05-23-2008, 11:39 AM

153 posts, read 479,917 times
Too funny - we're moving from Parrish to East TN
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area