Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area
 [Register]
Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area Manatee and Sarasota Counties
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-23-2008, 10:50 AM

17,464 posts, read 38,864,396 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ladywithafan View Post
Let me explain something to you...it's not about being negative, it's about being REAL.

People that want to relocate to the Bradenton/SRQ area need to realize what they're buying into; it's not a vacation when you live here.
Ladywithafan - I think people really do get their rose-colored glasses on when they visit this area on vacation and think how wonderful it would be to live here all year. Unfortunately many of us who live or have lived in the area know just how HARD it can be to survive here if you have to work to make a living.

For anyone wanting to live here, it is important to know that Florida is, and always has been geared toward retirees and tourists, and little has changed in that regard. If one must earn a good wage, the largest cities - Tampa, Jax, Miami or Orlando are about the ONLY areas where there is a CHANCE of getting a good professional job. The whole 17 years we lived in Sarasota, my hubby had to commute to Tampa, as none of the local firms he worked for could get or keep enough work to support their employees.

These days, there are even LESS jobs in the area, or even the big cities due to the recession we are in. I think we are in it for awhile, and people need to look hard at whether it's a good time to make a move or not, if they are doing OK where they are.

Bottom line - if you have a guaranteed income and can afford it here - come on down, you will enjoy it. If not, better stay put. Florida is NOT a year round vacation.

I, too, am trying to keep it real.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-23-2008, 10:59 AM

4,892 posts, read 14,087,480 times
Thank You Gc!!! :d

Old 05-23-2008, 08:30 PM

656 posts, read 1,367,943 times
Just look in one of the newspapers.
15 jobs listed as opposed to six pages or so a few years ago.

Old 05-29-2008, 05:21 PM

45 posts, read 144,401 times
Default Pay cuts

The reason the school system in Manatee county got into monetary problems was because of their over spending. So much money is wasted on real estate, EDvantage program, computer programs that are never used, and perks for administration. So many of my friends are teachers in Manatee county and tell me about how horrible it can be at times. First, everyone needs to remember that the money needs to go to the classrooms!!! Isn't that the reason we have a school district in the first place. IF you do not have well paid teachers, you will not draw the best. Last year, four of my teacher friends left for other areas because of cost of living here and salary problems in Manatee county. These were great teachers. Second, money should be used on supplies for the children. Who cares about a motivational program for teachers called Edvantage!!! Stop wasting tax payer money on motivational propaganda! My best friend's was told that she could not use school money to buy paper or supplies this year. But MC spends money on 2 county buildings (301 and downtown) STOP the waste. The children come first, next, teacher salaries, and if you have money left over spend on revamping the schools or perks for administration. Dearing makes too much money. If he can get $800 a month for a car allowance, shouldn't a teacher get money to spend on school supplies. The average teacher spends more than five hundred dollars a year on their own classroom. This is horrible!

Old 05-30-2008, 08:50 PM

656 posts, read 1,367,943 times
Much of the problem was MIS-SPENDING and shady deals.
Coastal products contract?
Or how about contracting to have the grass cut at the schools, then BUYING the equipment for the company doing the cutting? Is that something that would fly in the private sector?

OOBIE would know of many more cases like this......
I'm sure there are tons I don't know about.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area