Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area
 [Register]
Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area Manatee and Sarasota Counties
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-02-2008, 08:05 AM

7,511 posts, read 22,922,074 times

Advertisements

I think we're going to the Freedom Swim in Punta Gorda where you swim across the harbor. Then we'll watch the fireworks in Punta Gorda. We used to go to Marina Jack's but they turn off the fountains for the kids now on that day. Kind of a bummer.

We did the North Port fireworks last year but it was a nightmare trying to get out of the parking lot. It took over two hours!

In anticipation of Independence Day, I've sought out a list of events that will be going on in the area. Southwest Florida (and Florida in general) has a reputation for doing July 4th better than any other place!
Here are the festivities in the area:

Punta Gorda: Inaugural 4th of July Blowout
Where: Laishley Park
Details: There will be live music, a variety of food, plenty of alcohol and plenty of activities for the kids! $2 entry fee.

Charlotte County (Peace River/Charlotte Harbor): Annual Freedom Swim
Where: The public beach at the west side of the north end of the Southbound US 41 bridge
Details: You can swim, float, paddle or stroke your way across Charlotte Harbor. I should also mention that in previous years, the swimmers are generally drunk, naked or both! This truly unique event is sure to be something you'll never forget...or won't remember!

North Port: Annual Firecracker 5k Run and Parade
Where: Dallas White Park
Details: The 5k starts are 7:30am at Dallas White Park, and then at 10:00am a parade begins at the corner of Appomattox Drive and North Port Blvd. The parade route ends at Dallas White Park.

North Port: Freedom Festival
Where: North Port High School
Details: The Freedom Festival opens its gates at 6:00pm. There will be plenty of family activities and the night will conclude in a spectacular fireworks display.

Venice: Independence Day Fireworks Display (broken link)
Where: Fireworks will be fired from the South Venice Jetty shortly after sunset.
Details: No parking on the South Venice Jetty - fireworks can be viewed from many locations close by.

Siesta Key: Siesta Key 20th Anniversary Fireworks
Where: Siesta Key Public Beach
Details: Free admission, or you can get a $75 VIP Package which includes a gourmet picnic dinner, wine, beer, soft drinks and preferred parking.

Sarasota: Fireworks Over The Bay
Where: Bayfront Park
Details: Free admission, but please consider bringing a cash donation or a new infant/children's item for the Florida center. You can drop off at Island Park entrance, Marina Jack or Municipal Auditorium.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-02-2008, 08:40 AM

4,895 posts, read 14,140,308 times
Since I live a block back from Marina Jack's, I'll be seeing the fireworks on Friday there with my sons, then out to Siesta Key to a friend's beach house, hopefully, if we're still up for it.

Kids will be seeing fireworks on Anna Maria at the Beach House on Thursday night. There's also the boat parade on Thursday night on Main Street downtown by me in Sarasota.

We've got the offshore race madness going on downtown this week/end...big crazy party out on 301 near the SRQ/Manatee line...$5 admission, 5 bands, free food & beer. Went last year, with about an hour to go in the party...it was crazy....not sure if I can deal with that madness this year...

Old 07-02-2008, 08:51 AM

6,103 posts, read 15,088,066 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoFLGal View Post
Punta Gorda: Inaugural 4th of July Blowout
Where: Laishley Park
Details: There will be live music, a variety of food, plenty of alcohol and plenty of activities for the kids! $2 entry fee.
I love it when the kids get alcohol - it really makes that activities more festive.

Quote:
Charlotte County (Peace River/Charlotte Harbor): Annual Freedom Swim
Where: The public beach at the west side of the north end of the Southbound US 41 bridge
Details: You can swim, float, paddle or stroke your way across Charlotte Harbor. I should also mention that in previous years, the swimmers are generally drunk, naked or both!
Now, how can people be so negative about Florida!

Quote:
This truly unique event is sure to be something you'll never forget...or won't remember!
I don't think I can move my flight up!

Jokes aside, you know I'd like to have a prolonged visit to PGI!

Old 07-02-2008, 11:20 PM

3,645 posts, read 7,150,786 times
we shall be drowning our sorrows that all due to a little spat a few years ago we now have to apply for a visa to come and live and work in a place we love so much. I blame King George 3rd and his bloody taxes.

From all in the UK............................enjoy

Old 07-03-2008, 07:40 AM

3,412 posts, read 10,171,257 times
My butt will be staying home and BBQ with friends. We'll do our own firework.
I'm not a big fan of Siesta gathering, you can never find parking, and after all set and done, you can never leave

Old 07-03-2008, 07:46 AM

657 posts, read 1,788,407 times
wish i could be there with everyone. its going to be very quiet here in CT for us..

Old 07-03-2008, 08:42 AM

4,895 posts, read 14,140,308 times
Yes, Siesta can be brutal from what I've heard on the 4th....more reason to walk around the block and see them by Marina Jack's without having to deal with parking...but if we do make it to Siesta, we have parking at a friend's house, thank god!

Old 07-03-2008, 11:54 AM

27,232 posts, read 46,658,013 times
Default sleeping, working

I'll come home that day at five or so, go to sleep, wake up sometime in the afternoon, eat, go to work.

Just like any other weekday...except that I can't even think about going to the library, since it will be closed.

Old 07-03-2008, 10:15 PM

31 posts, read 108,592 times
Ill be swimming, BBQn and drinking coronas and mojitos..all at the same time with any luck..lol. Looks like next year Ill have to swim to Siesta key so I can get away easy

Old 07-04-2008, 06:48 AM

7,511 posts, read 22,922,074 times
I just found out that the big Re/Max balloon is going to be out in Punta Gorda at Laishley Marina. I wasn't going to leave to go over there until later on but the kids really want to go up in the balloon. I guess we are going to leave in an hour or so. My oldest is going to do the swim across the bay.

Looks like most people are going to have a great 4th of July. The ones that aren't here this year can start a thread next year on the 4th of July activities. Big House, hzdup3, mr&mrssunshine, divenurse-hopefully we'll see all of you at the 4th activities next year
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area