Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area
 [Register]
Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area Manatee and Sarasota Counties
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-12-2008, 04:30 PM

6,103 posts, read 15,085,469 times

Advertisements

I'm not sure about South Venice, I'm still learning the area, but when I went to Venice and Venice Beach I thought it was a beautiful place. I was looking, and think I saw some familiar places from pictures that FLBob and SoFLGal have posted.

I like the area a lot. I hope to return soon.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-18-2008, 09:28 AM

354 posts, read 1,273,193 times
Default So Venice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carbondated View Post
Venice is not a place to consider if you have children and want to start a business. Lots of old people who like "their" town just the way it is. My neice and nephew born and raised in Venice cannot wait to get out. As small children they had no other children nearby and spent most of their time with adults. Older people (who "own" Venice) have an absolute distrust and almost hatred for the young. South Venice has a few families, but most are renters and transient in nature. Not a stable area at all, lots of drugs (meth labs/sellers/addicts), and crime.
As far as business, unless you gear your business to something the elderly want or need, then you have a very small chance of running a successful business. There is an extremely tiny business community in Venice, which is getting smaller by the minute.

Osprey is a great place to raise a family. Close proximity to Sarasota and all it has to offer. Average cost of a home is higher than surrounding areas though.
Parrish is a great family community north of Bradenton.
Hope that helps.
South Venice ain't so bad. There are some neighborhoods that are dicey but mostly because of transients. There are a lot of vacant/snowbird homes also. I have seen more kids at the bustop this year. Maybe it's more renters with kids I think. There are more kids here than you think. The perception is that Venice is just an old fogey town. Venice High is a large school that I think is rated well. I have down some volunteer work at Lemon Bay High in Englewood ( next to Venice). There are a lot of good kids. Englewood is considered to be even older than Venice. I have been over to North Port High and they have a fantastic school.

You really need to drive around and get a feel for all these towns.

Stay away from downtown Bradenton.... only bad place I know of. I work as a teacher in that area.

That being said , we had a crack house across the street from us that we fought for over a year. Now our neighborhood is very peaceful......

Old 12-19-2008, 07:53 AM

102 posts, read 309,422 times
Venice is excellent if you are in the business of some type of geriactrics, home health care or housekeeping for the elderly as long as you are the owner. A lot of small businesses like restaurants and shops there already. Although, they do need some better competition and better pay for the hourly employees.
There are a lot of Golf courses, if your kids like to golf. The beaches do get boring for the kids after awhile. A lot of older kids complain about living there as you will see. The YMCA in Sarasota is a good one for the kids if you can afford it and want to drive there. There is a newer sports complex in Englewood if you can tolerate the heat outdoors.
The schools are fairly small, clean and orderly.
The schools seem(to me) to be lacking resources and quality in special education and solutions with children having any learning problems. You are ultimately the escape goat, so volunteer and get tutoring if you have to. Check out the teacher qualifications and compare.

Old 03-11-2009, 11:10 PM

1 posts, read 3,578 times
basicly have to be creative haha beaches/jetty, check for events on the city website [url=http://www.venicegov.com]Welcome to the official City of Venice, FL Web site[/url] like fairs or something, check out the parks (sports), hang out with friends (movies or fast food places). not much is true but can be interesting at times if you know what to do and here long enough :-)

Old 03-12-2009, 08:41 AM

37,315 posts, read 59,854,747 times
my daughter and SIL live on Venice Island in small condo--have been looking for home in area--
they kind of like the South Venice area because they have seen families with younger kids living there--kids playing in the yards and stuff when they drive through--
that and the beach/ferry HOA aspect make it more positive than the "look" of some of the streets/homes--which does vary since it is not really a homogenous development

Old 03-12-2009, 10:00 AM

1,380 posts, read 5,928,027 times
One of the nice things about South Venice is that much of the area is in a FEMA X zone. The cost of home ownership goes down when flood insurance is not required, and can be purchased for a nominal fee for those that would like the protection anyway. It's nice to live close to the beach, shopping, and restaurants and not have to have flood insurance.

Old 03-12-2009, 04:44 PM

24 posts, read 69,163 times
Oh my Gosh! I would have thought in the 25 years since we left Venice things would have changed. My DH and I moved there when work asked. We were 26 & 28 years old. We should have moved to Sarasota. It was a miserable 2 years. No one introduced themselves and our next door neighbor greeted us by saying "this is a retirement area you know". Only lasted 2 years and moved back up north. If we would have moved to Sarasota I don't think we would have moved back north. NOTE to self: When you get old remember to be nice to the young people, they can be alot of fun and you might make their live a little nicer.

Old 03-12-2009, 06:19 PM

6,103 posts, read 15,085,469 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by YorkieMom4 View Post
Oh my Gosh! I would have thought in the 25 years since we left Venice things would have changed. My DH and I moved there when work asked. We were 26 & 28 years old. We should have moved to Sarasota. It was a miserable 2 years. No one introduced themselves and our next door neighbor greeted us by saying "this is a retirement area you know". Only lasted 2 years and moved back up north. If we would have moved to Sarasota I don't think we would have moved back north. NOTE to self: When you get old remember to be nice to the young people, they can be alot of fun and you might make their live a little nicer.
I think you should be nice to old people - cuz you never know - you might be one some day! ;-)

Old 03-12-2009, 06:25 PM

1,380 posts, read 5,928,027 times
Just got back from walking my dogs. Pasted 2 teenagers playing basket ball, 1 kid getting hollered at by his mom for taking his battery operated car into the street, 1 couple pushing a baby carriage, 2 30 something women power walking, two kids on a moped, so yeah Venice is just a bunch of mean old retirees....

Old 03-13-2009, 06:40 AM

24 posts, read 69,163 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big House View Post
I think you should be nice to old people - cuz you never know - you might be one some day! ;-)
Dear Mr. House, FYI we are nice to everyone and not age sensative.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area