Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area
 [Register]
Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area Manatee and Sarasota Counties
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-15-2008, 09:04 PM

25,449 posts, read 11,726,679 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JennySquirrel View Post
Oh I am just joking I like small towns but not THAT small. Now if they had at least 1 Starbucks, then I might consider it

Thanks!
Ain't gonna find that in Parrish- believe me!

Old 07-16-2008, 03:25 AM

1,653 posts, read 4,296,055 times
Well, after going through what I have with my last 2 homes that I owned, I am ready to take on the title of "renter". So the good thing about being a renter is that if I don't like it then when my lease is up, I can leave

I think I am going to focus my searching for a home in either Venice or Sarasota for now. That way they will have Starbucks and I don't have to be getting my coffee from Meemaw's gas station. LOL

Old 07-20-2008, 09:40 AM

45 posts, read 144,980 times
Default Bradenton has a lot of crime.

We have had family who has lived in Bradenton for twenty years. I left and came back to be closer to family. But, we are all leaving. Nothing to report in West Bradenton, other than crime. A lot of my friends had their property insurance cancelled for their homes, and you cannot go out at night.
The school system is pretty bad because neighborhoods are so mixed. Near the beaches, you could live in a million dollar home and have the "hood" on the next block...too hit or miss. They do have a park, but if you have children in activities, sports, at night..you have to run to your car.
People talk about Lakewood ranch as a good place to live. But crime is headed that way as well. If you have children, they will attend school with a lot of "rough" kids, even in Lakewood ranch(out east). A student from Lakewood ranch high school just committed murder this past week. The high schools and middle schools are filled with gangs and drugs. A lot the "rich" kids are not supervised because parents are at the "country club".
I just spoke to 2 familes from Lakewood ranch this past week who are packing up and heading back up north. They are so dissappointed with the area. Our East, tries to pretend to not see the problems, but they are there. If you have children, RUN RUN RUN.
Now, it would take me all day to talk about West Bradenton. Pretty beaches, but crime, crime, crime. We are saving our money and running for the hills.
I realize a lot of towns have crime, but Bradenton has a strange feeling about it..not good. We have had 3 murders this week and counting.
Venice is quiet, Port Charlotte is hit or miss, Parrish is rural but has some strange occurances that happen(crime).
Take a look at Sarasota, if you have your heart set on the area. But you have to watch because Sarasota has a lot of crime as well. Good luck.

Old 07-20-2008, 02:15 PM

Hi Lost In Florida~

Thanks for the info. It helps alot. We now are looking at Nokomis at an area called Shakette Island. ( not sure on the spelling) Are you familiiar with that area? It is supposed to be gated and nice. But at this point who knows what is "nice and safe".

It seems like no matter where I look in the US, people are saying the crime is getting worse. More home invasions, more murder, more gang crimes. Where are these criminals all coming from? Sounds to me like our officials need to get off their rears and get serious about our borders and never mind being gentle with these criminals.

Entire towns are becoming destroyed and the officials are turning their backs to it.

I live in a little safe town. We don't even lock our doors. Now I go to our local Home Depot and there are 2 gang graffiti "tagging" on the power box in the parking lot. Then a few miles down on the highway I see a 12 foot long graffiti tagging on the cement dividers. It was big and you can tell it took some time.

Meanwhile our cops are busy at the local Starbucks, or stopping the speeder going 36 in a 35. (our town has zero tolerance for 1 mile over) They will follow you into your neighborghood with sirens blasting if you were going 1 mile over. But somehow they miss the graffiti/gang tagging.

I blame a lot of this crime on the local level, (cops) since they are the ones who are supposed to be watching and protecting us. Until someone is actually holding these cops accountable for the increase in gang related crimes in the area, then it will increase.

I guarantee you if they thought their jobs were at stake, then I bet the crime wouldn't be happening.

Thanks again for your input. I'm beginning to wonder where is safe???

Thanks

Last edited by JennySquirrel; 07-20-2008 at 02:30 PM..

Old 07-20-2008, 04:07 PM

6,103 posts, read 15,081,815 times
Quote:
Well, after going through what I have with my last 2 homes that I owned, I am ready to take on the title of "renter". So the good thing about being a renter is that if I don't like it then when my lease is up, I can leave

I think I am going to focus my searching for a home in either Venice or Sarasota for now. That way they will have Starbucks and I don't have to be getting my coffee from Meemaw's gas station. LOL
That's funny, but Starbucks is shutting down 600 stores, while Meemaw's might open one. Is that a huge market share gain? But seriously does MeeMaw's make good coffee?

Old 07-20-2008, 04:42 PM

LOL Meewaw's would probably make a good old fashioned cup of black coffee. I probably wouldn't be into experimenting with Meemaw's. LOL I'd drive for a Starbucks.

They have smoothies now that are pretty yummy. $3.79 not bad. Plus we get free gas from our grocer when we buy the gifts cards so it makes it even better

I live in a house of Starbucks addicts!(Shhhhh me too) LOL

Old 07-20-2008, 07:46 PM

45 posts, read 144,980 times
Hi Jenny,
I am not familiar with that area in Nokomis. Your best bet would be to rent and ask around in the area before you buy. If possible, try south Sarasota as well! Good luck. I understand how you feel about crime. In Manatee county, we have the good ol boy system. They work with lawyers to make money and give it to one another. This should be illegal..anyhow. There still are places that are safe. But these places are usually not in this area of Florida. I hope you find a house and good luck

Old 07-20-2008, 08:29 PM

Hi Lost in Florida~ Thanks for the additional info. Good Ole Boy mentality, you gotta love it! UGH

We absolutely plan to rent first. There is no way I would take a chance and buy without living there awhile first.

When you say you are heading for the hills, what do you mean? I know many people are moving to North Carolina but I have a couple friends there and they both say the crime is bad there too.

I stand firm on my belief that it starts at the local level and if the cops would fear losing their jobs if things keep getting worse on their watch, then things would be a lot safer.

I mean if a teacher has kids and they are all failing their tests, then what happens? They lose their job. If a heart surgeon's patients are all dying, what happens? He loses his license to practice but cops and mayors and sheriffs town's are riddled with gangs, crime and what happens? Nothing, they go to Starbucks and get free coffee and sit in the back of some shopping center's parking lot sipping on their Latte and waiting for a shopping cart thief to appear. It's crazy.

Old 07-21-2008, 01:24 PM

182 posts, read 1,000,975 times
Default B-Town

Quote:
Could someone tell me what this area is like? I keep hearing Bradenton is bad. Is this part bad also?

Birds Eye Terrace
Bradenton FL 34203 Subdivision: The Presereve At Tara County/Parish: Manatee Location: SR 70 close to I-75
Thanks!
I love Bradenton and I have NEVER seen or heard a gun shot in the past 10 years I've been here and I live in one of the sections where people on this forum claim it's so bad.
Weather permitting I leave my windows open at night while I am asleep and while I am at work all day and I live alone.
Bradenton isn't any safer or worse than any other place where there are parents letting their kids do what they want to do.
Go to Wal Mart sometime. You'll see there who is to blame. The kids are calling their Mom's B_TCH and everything else and the Mom's do nothing.
I'm sure when Jr comes in with a gun she asks, where did you get that? You better take it back.
If it were my kid, I would have called 911.

Old 07-21-2008, 02:28 PM

5,969 posts, read 9,555,533 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lilaclady View Post
I love Bradenton and I have NEVER seen or heard a gun shot in the past 10 years I've been here and I live in one of the sections where people on this forum claim it's so bad.
Weather permitting I leave my windows open at night while I am asleep and while I am at work all day and I live alone.
Bradenton isn't any safer or worse than any other place where there are parents letting their kids do what they want to do.
Go to Wal Mart sometime. You'll see there who is to blame. The kids are calling their Mom's B_TCH and everything else and the Mom's do nothing.
I'm sure when Jr comes in with a gun she asks, where did you get that? You better take it back.
If it were my kid, I would have called 911.
Bradenton is overflowing with gang activity, with gang wars playing out in public. I would not recommend leaving windows open in a city with such a criminal element dwelling in it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area