Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area
 [Register]
Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area Manatee and Sarasota Counties
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-29-2008, 06:47 PM

25,449 posts, read 11,690,205 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TMAN24 View Post
Moderator cut: link to a competitors site removed

Alright all you people who think Bradenton is bad and a dangerous place to live,
your either all a bunch of idiots who have never been out of Bradenton,
or are really un aware of what crime issues are in a city.

Even Ft .Myers a city with about the same population makes Bradenton look like a sunday school baptist girls choir tryout.

Compare the crime of the two cities,
if you guys think Bradenton is bad,
you might recognize Ft. Myers as the worst place on the planet huh.

The crime is twice as bad there..

I have to say it , sorry , most of you are really

Morons!!!!
Like ladywithafan stated, you are entitled to your opinion, and we are too. If you don't live in Bradenton or near Bradenton than you aren't fully aware of what goes on. Not everything is listed in the newspapers, and if you live in Ohio, then you don't have any clue what is going on because you simply too far away.

Last edited by Yac; 12-30-2008 at 05:01 AM..

Old 12-29-2008, 07:22 PM

6,103 posts, read 15,028,487 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suncoast Guy View Post
Like ladywithafan stated, you are entitled to your opinion, and we are too. If you don't live in Bradenton or near Bradenton than you aren't fully aware of what goes on. Not everything is listed in the newspapers, and if you live in Ohio, then you don't have any clue what is going on because you simply too far away.

True, I live in a nice area just North of Baltimore, but work in South Baltimore, where gun fights happen regularly and police helicopters fly over all the time. There are "No hooking" signs along the street, and drug dealers hang out on the street corners a few blocks away from our business. You don't want to hang out there at night! I still would not try to compare one area to another, and when crime is involved what purpose does is there in it? If you are in an area where there is crime, it effects you and it isn't pleasant!

If a criminal is standing next to you and has a gun, does it matter if you're in Bradenton, Baltimore, NYC, Chicago, or LA; I don't think so. And, it wouldn't matter that there are criminals with guns in other places either.
Vacinity relationships change/influence ones perspective.

Old 12-29-2008, 10:10 PM

14 posts, read 33,603 times
I've lived in Bradenton since 1974 and I've been amused and horrified at what I've been reading here. I hope the people who are interested in this area take a look for themselves because it is not the horrible crime-ridden gang sanctuary some have made it out to be. Yes, we have gangs as do many cities. Yes we had a murder/suicide yesterday which turned out to be an ex-boyfriend deal. Happens everywhere unfortunately.

I looked on city-data to get the latest crime statistics. The most recent ones are from 2006. The U.S average crime index is 320.9. Sarasota's is 608.6. Bradenton's was 442.0. Palmetto -816.4. Ft. Myers was 722.8 and Venice's was 195.9.

If you want to look up specific crimes it is all on the specific city page.

Obviously Venice's is the lowest. But comparing Sarasota, Bradenton and Ft. Myers which are all very close in size, Bradenton actually has the lowest crime index for the most recent statistics.

Population:
Sarasota - 52,488
Bradenton - 53,431
Venice - 21,015
Ft. Myers - 64,258

Please look up real statistics and not just anecdotal evidence when you are planning to change your whole life. As you've seen we all have different perspectives. I live on the west side of Bradenton which has always been considered the "good" side. I sleep with my windows open when it's cool enough. I know my neighbors. We look out for each other. My family all lives here within a few miles of each other. I went to high school here as did my siblings. My children went to high school here and are now in college. They have not joined any gangs.

<<<still shaking head in amusement>>>

Old 12-29-2008, 10:26 PM

95 posts, read 379,717 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ladywithafan View Post
You're entitled to your opinion, as we are to ours. I was born and raised in Detoit; I have a good background on crime. I've also lived in Manhattan....It amuses me that you moved from Bradenton to Ohio....

What amuses you ?
I actually moved to Salt Lake City to Chicago then to Cincinnati where I was born.

Cincinnati , Ohio is a city that has a ton of rich history and culture, nothing wrong with living there I.M.O , lots to do, lots to see.
Are ya saying Florida is superior to Ohio for some reason?
The warm weather and beaches are nice I will say that.

Old 12-29-2008, 11:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gypsychic View Post
Dude, I actually don't live all that far from the area in SArasota you speak of (MLK, etc.) in fact, just got back from going to the bank right there and shopping at the thrift store. I am well aware of Sarasota's poorer areas. This area is not "scary" at all.

Here is an article from todays Bradenton-Herald talking about the gang problem in Pride Park:

Fighting for Pride Park’s future - Top Stories - Bradenton.com (http://www.bradenton.com/847/story/1120687.html - broken link)

Those of us who currently live in the area know what we are talking about, if it doesn't seem bad to you, fine, but we have a right to disagree with you!

I used to play basketball there at night, there was a small presence of drug activity yes, never thought it was that bad tho,
last time I was there was prob three years ago, unless a lot has changed in the last couple years, it isn't really a a do or die area.

Old 12-29-2008, 11:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ButterflyGirl58 View Post
I've lived in Bradenton since 1974 and I've been amused and horrified at what I've been reading here. I hope the people who are interested in this area take a look for themselves because it is not the horrible crime-ridden gang sanctuary some have made it out to be. Yes, we have gangs as do many cities. Yes we had a murder/suicide yesterday which turned out to be an ex-boyfriend deal. Happens everywhere unfortunately.

I looked on city-data to get the latest crime statistics. The most recent ones are from 2006. The U.S average crime index is 320.9. Sarasota's is 608.6. Bradenton's was 442.0. Palmetto -816.4. Ft. Myers was 722.8 and Venice's was 195.9.

If you want to look up specific crimes it is all on the specific city page.

Obviously Venice's is the lowest. But comparing Sarasota, Bradenton and Ft. Myers which are all very close in size, Bradenton actually has the lowest crime index for the most recent statistics.

Population:
Sarasota - 52,488
Bradenton - 53,431
Venice - 21,015
Ft. Myers - 64,258

Please look up real statistics and not just anecdotal evidence when you are planning to change your whole life. As you've seen we all have different perspectives. I live on the west side of Bradenton which has always been considered the "good" side. I sleep with my windows open when it's cool enough. I know my neighbors. We look out for each other. My family all lives here within a few miles of each other. I went to high school here as did my siblings. My children went to high school here and are now in college. They have not joined any gangs.

<<<still shaking head in amusement>>>
We're not talking about Sarasota, Palmetto and Ft. Myers, we are talking about Bradenton and we are talking about NOW, not 5-10-20 years ago, which is the same type of response we are getting from TMAN24. Things change, and it isn't changing for the good right now. Stuff is increasing, just like any other town. I'm not sure what amuses you about crime and stuff. Just remember that stuff does change, for the good and for the bad.

Old 12-30-2008, 12:17 AM

Quote:
We're not talking about Sarasota, Palmetto and Ft. Myers, we are talking about Bradenton and we are talking about NOW, not 5-10-20 years ago, which is the same type of response we are getting from TMAN24. Things change, and it isn't changing for the good right now. Stuff is increasing, just like any other town. I'm not sure what amuses you about crime and stuff. Just remember that stuff does change, for the good and for the bad.

Hey Big Guy, I MEAN suncoast guy!

I as well as the other guy know this is a Bradenton thread and this is all about Bradenton,
GOD FORBID WE COMPARE BRADENTON TO ANY OTHER CITY HUH!!!!
what we were both doing is kinda painting a picture in a sense to give you a basis of comparison to compare how bad Bradenton's crime really is , what we both provided are facts , even in it's region Bradenton is not that bad crime wise as compared to SOME OF it's neibors , furhter more there is a town some 70 miles away I beleive that almost matches Bradenton in size and nearly doubles it in the amount of crimes going on there.Ft.Myers is much worse of a place as far as crime goes then Bradenton...

And who said crime amuses me?

Old 12-30-2008, 12:24 AM

Quote:
Hey Big Guy, I MEAN suncoast guy!

I as well as the other guy know this is a Bradenton thread and this is all about Bradenton,
GOD FORBID WE COMPARE BRADENTON TO ANY OTHER CITY HUH!!!!
what we were both doing is kinda painting a picture in a sense to give you a basis of comparison to compare how bad Bradenton's crime really is , what we both provided are facts , even in it's region Bradenton is not that bad crime wise as compared to SOME OF it's neibors , furhter more there is a town some 70 miles away I beleive that almost matches Bradenton in size and nearly doubles it in the amount of crimes going on there.Ft.Myers is much worse of a place as far as crime goes then Bradenton...

And who said crime amuses me?
Why compare another city to Bradenton? Bradenton is Bradenton no matter how you look at it. May I ask when was the last time you were truly in Bradenton for any extended period of time?

Old 12-30-2008, 01:13 AM

Quote:
Why compare another city to Bradenton? Bradenton is Bradenton no matter how you look at it. May I ask when was the last time you were truly in Bradenton for any extended period of time?

Can't argue that, Bradenton will always be Bradenton,
I have not lived in Bradenton the actual city for some 14 years, I did spend the summer of 03 in Mill Creek which is a planned community east of 75 almost in LakeWood Ranch.
I went to Richard Milburn academy in 02

Old 12-30-2008, 09:10 AM

4,892 posts, read 14,090,894 times
Quote:
Can't argue that, Bradenton will always be Bradenton,
I have not lived in Bradenton the actual city for some 14 years, I did spend the summer of 03 in Mill Creek which is a planned community east of 75 almost in LakeWood Ranch.
I went to Richard Milburn academy in 02
I've lived in Bradenton since 1991. I'm currently working on a film project that has to do with exactly what we're talking about here in Bradenton....I've got the photos/video of what some people feel is not happening in Bradenton.....that's why I'm amused....must have been a sale on blinders on 14th street; more popular than rose colored glasses at the present moment.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area