Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area
 [Register]
Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area Manatee and Sarasota Counties
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-04-2008, 05:19 AM

128 posts, read 424,158 times

Advertisements

Just been doing a bit of research on internet regarding furnishing our new home. Macy's are advertising their big sale. Very nice looking leather sofas etc at what seem to be very good prices around $2000 for 3 seater, 2 seater and chair. Has anyone bought from them, what is the quality of the leather and finish like. It is very difficult to be sure when looking at pictures.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-04-2008, 07:33 AM

3 posts, read 15,335 times
I know you will think I am crazy but I see alot of great funiture extremely cheap at big lots. Dont get me wrong there is alot of garbage but they have nice beds (I got a beautiful sleigh bed there for like $300 and great looking lether couches. Check it out and you maybe surprised.

Old 08-04-2008, 07:38 AM

128 posts, read 424,158 times
Hi Bulldogchef

Sorry for my ignorance (from the UK) - but what are 'big lots' and where do I find them.

Old 08-04-2008, 07:47 AM

17,533 posts, read 39,121,426 times
I agree about "Big Lots". Some of the stuff is the cheaper "Ashley" furniture, but they get some closeouts of some great name brand stuff - I bought a beautiful top quality all leather Barcaounger for $400 - normally a $1,000 chair. The problem with Big Lots is you never know what they are going to get. It is worth checking out.

Old 08-04-2008, 11:01 AM

3,269 posts, read 9,934,103 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Janet2007 View Post
Hi Bulldogchef

Sorry for my ignorance (from the UK) - but what are 'big lots' and where do I find them.
BigLots.com, Brand Names. Closeout Prices.

You will need to actually go into the store and see what they have....won't be able to buy over the internet...

Old 08-04-2008, 11:12 AM

182 posts, read 1,001,319 times
Default Big Lots

Quote:
Originally Posted by gypsychic View Post
I agree about "Big Lots". Some of the stuff is the cheaper "Ashley" furniture, but they get some closeouts of some great name brand stuff - I bought a beautiful top quality all leather Barcaounger for $400 - normally a $1,000 chair. The problem with Big Lots is you never know what they are going to get. It is worth checking out.
That is so very true. The nice thing though is, there are Big Lots every where so finding what you're looking for is fairly easy.
I go to the one in Oneco on 15th Street and I check out the one on Cortez in Bradenton.
Most of the time, the 2 stores have totally opposite things, except for what is in the sale papers.

Old 08-04-2008, 02:33 PM

6,864 posts, read 12,075,211 times
Macy's prices are up in the stratosphere with Robb & Stuckey. When Macy's has a sale, the prices are around the normal prices of Leather Express and Rooms to go. Finding a deal at Big lots is a hit and miss kind of thing. You have to go often to see what they have.

Old 08-04-2008, 03:31 PM

25,449 posts, read 11,729,620 times
I'm not sure about Big Lots furniture. May not be a bad think to look at. Defiantly cheaper than other stores.

In Sarasota, two furniture stores I know about are Kanes/Kanes Clearance Store and Stephen's Furniture. Maybe you can check these out.

Good Luck!

Old 08-04-2008, 04:02 PM

10,599 posts, read 17,892,301 times
Quote:
Just been doing a bit of research on internet regarding furnishing our new home. Macy's are advertising their big sale. Very nice looking leather sofas etc at what seem to be very good prices around $2000 for 3 seater, 2 seater and chair. Has anyone bought from them, what is the quality of the leather and finish like. It is very difficult to be sure when looking at pictures.
Nah, Macy's is nothing special. And with a very limited selection. And like another poster said, their sale prices are what are normal prices.

Furniture is very personal so you really need to see it and feel it. If you want super high quality you can get pretty much anything from High Point NC (a furniture capital of the country) and about a half or less of the cost if you are patient and/or know exactly what you want and/or you drive there. It's actually a fun thing to do. OR you can order by internet or phone.

If you want regular good day to day like leather sofas there are a ton of furniture stores in Florida and you can find plenty. Just be careful, read the tags see what you're paying for and what the "name" is.

Big Lots carries some of the same good pieces I've seen in furniture stores too. It's a super bargain if you're in a hurry, or buying for your kid, or rental or something. Probably if you're a furniture lover you could get sick of it after a couple of years seeing other choices that you may have preferred, though.

The week I moved here a neighborhood store had a going out of business sale and I made a killing lol.

Old 08-04-2008, 04:23 PM

414 posts, read 1,245,376 times
Default Macy's

Quote:
Hi Janet,
Before you get robbed at Macy's, I would check out Iverson's Used Furniture Sarasota -- Iverson's Used Quality Furniture has the largest selection of used and new quality furniture in the Sarasota, Bradenton and Venice area. and Simon's http://www.simonsusedfurniture.com/ . They have terrific used furniture, real good quality estate stuff that they buy dirt cheap and sell at much less than what you would pay for new. It is hit or miss however. But the merchandise is very good quality and there is a lot of turnover. Skip Rooms to Go. We bought some stuff there and it's no bargain and the quality leaves a lot to be desired.
Kane's north of the cheap hotels has good stuff and a fair price. Stephen's also has good stuff. They are easy to deal with and have good service. The person who helped us was Robyn. They will negotiate off the list price also.
Furniture stores are struggling. They need to sell more than you need to buy. Negotiate the price. They will often knock off the delivery charge etc., but only if you ask. The one thing I learned from buying our house in Sarasota is that everything is negotiable, except death.
PM/email me if you have any questions.
smiledoc1
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area