Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area
 [Register]
Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area Manatee and Sarasota Counties
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-05-2008, 06:19 AM

182 posts, read 1,000,975 times

Advertisements

I wonder how many people are ready for hurricane season and what have you done to prepare.
I'm thinking there might be some newcomers to the area that could use some tips from the pros on here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-05-2008, 09:27 AM

13,768 posts, read 38,183,403 times
We always have a hurricane box with canned food, manual can opener, water, batteries and paper towels/ tp. The one thing to know is if they say one is headed anywhere close to the SW coast, you need to go to the store to buy ice, bread and water as shelves are often bare if you wait too long.

Old 08-05-2008, 09:47 AM

164 posts, read 383,150 times
what a great topic. We are new to the area & a hurricane box sounds like something we should have as well.

Old 08-05-2008, 09:51 AM

Default I Agree

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keeper View Post
We always have a hurricane box with canned food, manual can opener, water, batteries and paper towels/ tp. The one thing to know is if they say one is headed anywhere close to the SW coast, you need to go to the store to buy ice, bread and water as shelves are often bare if you wait too long.
Sometimes having the supplies isn't enough or in my case was un-needed.
When Charley was threatening us, I got out of Dodge as they say and headed inland like we were advised and had over $2,500.00 worth of damage done to my car because I went to Kissimmee and that is right where Charley came through after the devastation in Punta Gorda and Port Charlotte.
I had insurance to cover my car and being in the middle of a hurricane I can say from experience, is not a place you want to be.

I thought I would add to your survival kit list. You should have a car charger for your cell phone. If the power goes out and it will if we get a direct hit, you may want to contact family elsewhere to let them know you're okay.
Also anyone on daily medications should make sure they get a refill a week or so ahead just in case.
Something else worth mentioning is try to keep your car gassed up.
If we have to evacuate who wants to sit in a gas station line hoping the station doesn't run out before you get your turn.
Another thing is to have cash on hand. The ATM's won't work if the power is out.

I'm hoping more people will add to this. So far I've been involved with one hurricane and hope to not have to go through another year like 2004 but we never know and we need to be prepared.

Stay smart and most of all, stay safe!!

Old 08-05-2008, 09:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ECBS View Post
what a great topic. We are new to the area & a hurricane box sounds like something we should have as well.
There are so many things us Floridans can add to this list. I hope more people will jump on board to help the newbies out.

There will be news casts on hurricanes to help you out too.
Being on top of things during hurricane season is a must.
We also must hope and pray we get through another year without one.

One other thing I do have is my portable DVD player and it also has a car charger.
Reading is ok but after a while I like to see a movie. If you have children, board games to keep them busy.
Theres just so much we can do. It's also a good idea to check on your neighbor if you don't see any activity there. You never know, you just never know.

Old 08-05-2008, 10:00 AM

13,768 posts, read 38,183,403 times
I think this is an excellent thread. It will give the newcomers an idea of what they might need if a hurricane does get close. I agree if it is a strong hurricane you don't want to stay.

I lost power for a week after Charley. A generator might be something to consider if you can afford one. I had to throw out a lot of food in the freezer. Luckily my neighbor behind me had power and let me run an extension cord from her house.

We had kerosene lamps but those things leave a black soot everywhere.

Old 08-05-2008, 10:04 AM

Default Tax Free

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keeper View Post
I think this is an excellent thread. It will give the newcomers an idea of what they might need if a hurricane does get close.

I lost power for a week after Charley. A generator might be something to consider if you can afford one. I had to throw out a lot of food in the freezer. Luckily my neighbor behind me had power and let me run an extension cord from her house.

We had kerosene lamps but those things leave a black soot everywhere.
Do they still offer the tax free for hurricane supplies sometime during the season?
I know I've heard it but can't remember when that takes place.
That would be a good time to buy a generator.

Your not supposed to throw the food out Keeper, you're supposed to start the grill and invite the neighbors.

I'm pleased that you like my thread.

Old 08-05-2008, 11:59 AM

4,894 posts, read 14,134,978 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lilaclady View Post
Do they still offer the tax free for hurricane supplies sometime during the season?
I know I've heard it but can't remember when that takes place.
That would be a good time to buy a generator.

Your not supposed to throw the food out Keeper, you're supposed to start the grill and invite the neighbors.

I'm pleased that you like my thread.
This year the "tax free" purchase week or two did not occur. It is usually offered at the beginning of hurricane season which starts June 1st.

Old 08-05-2008, 12:12 PM

8,189 posts, read 31,226,172 times
I start in the beginning of March. Every time I go to Sam's I buy 1 extra case of bottled water & at least 1 non-perishable food item for the Hurricane Supply. By the time hurricane season rolls around I have plenty of water, crackers, pb&j, snack sized puddings & fruits, canned meats,soups, etc. I also make sure to have about a dozen cans of Sterno and en equal amount of citronella candles. I like the Chunky soups because you don't have to add any water.

I always make sure to have an unopened bag of both dog food & cat food plus 2 bags of charcoal briquettes that I store in containers. We have a generator and I try to keep a minimum of 4 gas cans full. We also have a 2000 watt power inverter that works off your car battery. In addition to the citronella candles we have 4 coleman rechargeable lanterns. 6 cans of Deep Woods Off, a first aid kit, a cash stash, a 6 pack of lighters, an extra charger for the cell phone, and lots of paper plates/plastic forks, etc.

If we don't have to use the food items they become just food after Halloween and I get new for the following year.

We lived in North Port during the hurricane season of 2004. We sat in the house with our pets during Charley, Frances, and Jeannie. We got lucky with Charley, the next town south of us got hammered. We had what FEMA calls "vegetation failure", which means I had a chainsaw in my hand for over a week. What got me was that our grocery store was the nearest one to Port Charlotte that did not take any damage, and the Red Cross wiped out the non-perishables as soon as they came in. For many weeks there was no bread, cookies, hot dogs & lunch meats, etc. on the shelves. Also paper products were in short supply. We did not begrudge the people who needed that stuff in the least, but I was glad I had some on hand. We ate a lot of TV dinners that month, because we could.

Old 08-05-2008, 12:33 PM

102 posts, read 460,849 times
....Also HO/Car insurance papers.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area