Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area
 [Register]
Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area Manatee and Sarasota Counties
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-07-2008, 10:23 AM

182 posts, read 995,628 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoFLGal View Post
Wow! Who would have thought, a gas station. Interesting, I'll have to try it out!

OK...now back to the Chinese food. I'm not a big Chinese food eater. Probably because there aren't many really good ones around here (from the looks of this thread).

All right SmileDoc, do you mind telling all of us non-Chinese food eaters what meiguoren is?

I've never heard of meiguoren either!
I eat Chinese food but I stick to things I know.
Garlic Chicken, Sesame Chicken, Egg Rolls, Won Ton Soup, Beef w/ Broccoli and such.
I'm meeting my sister and niece tonight for Chinese in Venice
My sister just moved back after being gone about 10 years.

Do check out the gas station pizza. It surprised me. That is the one thing I do miss about Englewood.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-07-2008, 12:12 PM

2,209 posts, read 7,629,087 times
I think you have to go to the east coast for real Chinese. There's a number of them in Broward Cnty and even more in Dade. A few in Palm Beach Cnty.

There's a good ( great to people who don't know ) Vietnamese in Sarasota, Miss Saigon. But I'm not aware of any Chinese. Our accupunturist is Chinese , in Sarasota and she's not aware of any either unfortunately.

Old 08-07-2008, 12:30 PM

51 posts, read 221,997 times
Quote:
...All right SmileDoc, do you mind telling all of us non-Chinese food eaters what meiguoren is?
meiguoren=American

Old 08-07-2008, 12:33 PM

1,217 posts, read 2,821,246 times
Thanks for the Vietnamese reccommendation Mr Tudo. We miss good Viet.

BTW in Venice there's good sushi at Bushido.

I agree Mama's pizza isn't special and I too heard that the gas station at Gasparilla intersection was very good pizza. Too far for me for pizza tho.

Old 08-07-2008, 12:43 PM

182 posts, read 995,628 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by imagardener View Post
Thanks for the Vietnamese reccommendation Mr Tudo. We miss good Viet.

BTW in Venice there's good sushi at Bushido.

I agree Mama's pizza isn't special and I too heard that the gas station at Gasparilla intersection was very good pizza. Too far for me for pizza tho.
When I get the craving for a good pizza, I make plans to dive down to Boca or something to make a day of it.
It is a ways to go but it is sooooo worth it.

That Mama's place was always crowded but after dining there once, I don't see what the attraction is.

That's it, I may have to go soon. Too much talk of it makes me want some!!

Buy 2, wrap one in foil or put it in a tupperware type container for the freezer.
Being single, 2 pizzas last me a while.

Old 08-07-2008, 01:42 PM

7,511 posts, read 22,829,397 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dntw8up View Post
meiguoren=American
Thanks for clearing that up!

Old 08-08-2008, 01:46 PM

1 posts, read 2,637 times
Default Chinese food in Sarasota

There are only quick take out places in Sarasota. Try the Thai restaurants instead!
As for Nam Fung in Bradenton...it is very cheap (only takes cash) and if you like eating meat that might be the texture of dog or cat meat then go for it!!
I've been there twice with my grandmother and I'm grossed out by the quality of the food. Why do you think it's so cheap? The chicken in all of the dishes tastes like not other poultry I've tasted before. It's pressed part and pieces of chicken if it's chicken at all!
The soups taste like they are from the can or packaged power mixes.

Nothing seems to be made from scratch - yuck!!

Don't waste your money or the trip north...

Old 08-08-2008, 03:48 PM

413 posts, read 1,239,399 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lilaclady View Post
I don't know about one in Sarasota but I can tell you "Nam Fongs" in Bradenton is the best of the best Chinese Restaurant I've found in the area.
It's a small sit down restaurant that is always busy.
If you'd like the address, let me know. I can give you directions to if needed.
Hi Lilaclady,
Sure I'll take the name and address. The directions I can get from the GPS.

Thanx,
smildoc1

Old 08-08-2008, 03:59 PM

Default Zhongguo cai (Chinese food)

Quote:
Wow! Who would have thought, a gas station. Interesting, I'll have to try it out!

OK...now back to the Chinese food. I'm not a big Chinese food eater. Probably because there aren't many really good ones around here (from the looks of this thread).

All right SmileDoc, do you mind telling all of us non-Chinese food eaters what meiguoren is?
Lilaclady,
My favorite is zhu nao, pig brain. I have had it with two different sauces and each time it was spectactular. I also like pig ear and stomach. The instestine isn'y my cup of tea. Neither is zhu weiba, pig tail. The flavor doesn't grab me. Chinese cold appetizers, leng pan, often is a mix of different organ meats. As far as I know, I have never eaten dog, but I can't be sure. I went to wedding once in Leshan and we had turtle on top of chicken. The head is a great delicacy so us meiguoren were offered the head. It was actually pretty tasty. It is my understanding that turtle is illegal to serve here in the US, but I am not sure about that either.

Best,
smiledoc1

Old 08-08-2008, 04:08 PM

Default meiguoren

Quote:
Sure SoFlGal,
A meiguoren is an American. It literally means "beautiful country person". Chinese language is tonal, but for the sake of simplicity, "mei" means beautiful, "guo" means country and "ren" means person. Thus, "Meiguo" means America. They consider America the "beautiful country"
The Chinese consider their country as the middle of the world. So the Mandarin word for China is "Zhongguo" meaning middle country. A Chinese person is thus "zhongguoren".

Hope that helps,
smiledoc1
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area