Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area
 [Register]
Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area Manatee and Sarasota Counties
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-22-2008, 01:25 PM

1 posts, read 46,258 times

Advertisements

We are looking to retire and live in Florida in the winter months. However all the lot fees we've seen are high by our standards. Any cheap lot rentals around these areas. I consider 450.00 to be high, when you have to pay for a mobile home on top of this 450. charge.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-22-2008, 03:35 PM

6,864 posts, read 11,999,380 times
There is no such thing as 'cheap' lot rental for a mobile home lot from Tampa to Punta Gorda. $450 would be considered a deal, since most are over $500 You would be much better off looking at homes in resident owned parks were the monthly maint fee runs $100 to $190 a month and you own a share in the park, but you will pay RE taxes. The RE taxes would still be less than owning nothing and paying over $6000 a year in lot rent.

Old 08-23-2008, 02:13 PM

166 posts, read 600,991 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by d4g4m View Post
There is no such thing as 'cheap' lot rental for a mobile home lot from Tampa to Punta Gorda. $450 would be considered a deal, since most are over $500 You would be much better off looking at homes in resident owned parks were the monthly maint fee runs $100 to $190 a month and you own a share in the park, but you will pay RE taxes. The RE taxes would still be less than owning nothing and paying over $6000 a year in lot rent.
Also... owning the lot means its not likely to be redevoloped 15 years down the road and you're stuck with no place to go.

Old 08-23-2008, 09:07 PM

233 posts, read 718,173 times
I am no expert, but having lived in the area for a long time, why wouldn't you buy a 1 BR condo and have less expenses than even a mobile home park? Perhaps I am way off base, but if I were going to spend any kind of money for anything, I would rather have a condo that I could at least sell sometime in the future. Sabel Palms condos along 75th Street are still pretty reasonable. In the long run, they may hold more value than a trailer. Excuse me, but a "mobile home" is a trailer, no matter how you want to twist it - No pun intended. If you can afford a mobile home for 6 months a year, you can afford a 1 BR condo all year. I have been in the property management business in FL for a very long time (20+ years) and I would never have a mobile home under any conditions. Just something to consider.

Old 08-23-2008, 09:34 PM

6,864 posts, read 11,999,380 times
A few point to address.
I forgot to mention that you can not get kicked out of a resident owned park. After Hurricane Charley, the remaining residents of Victoria Estates on Rampart Bl in Port Charlotte were given 16 months to get out. The resident owned park next to them PC-Village rebuilt and it's better than ever.
As far as mobiles homes being unsafe or mobile. Any manufactured home built after 1986 is a permanent structure. And any manufactured home built after 1998 is built and anchored to withstand 130mph winds and are safer to be in than any normal built house that was built before 1994. You can not tell the difference between a new manufactured, modular home compared to a small normal built house. I don't live in a manufactured home but I also wouldn't want to live in a 1 bed condo where I had to listen to my neighbors TV and barking dog and had only 1 front and 1 rear window.

Old 08-24-2008, 12:23 AM

7 posts, read 67,121 times
I would also say buy/rent a condo. There's tons of them.

Old 03-11-2009, 08:07 PM

1 posts, read 45,113 times
Default Question for Paula

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulaC View Post
I am no expert, but having lived in the area for a long time, why wouldn't you buy a 1 BR condo and have less expenses than even a mobile home park? Perhaps I am way off base, but if I were going to spend any kind of money for anything, I would rather have a condo that I could at least sell sometime in the future. Sabel Palms condos along 75th Street are still pretty reasonable. In the long run, they may hold more value than a trailer. Excuse me, but a "mobile home" is a trailer, no matter how you want to twist it - No pun intended. If you can afford a mobile home for 6 months a year, you can afford a 1 BR condo all year. I have been in the property management business in FL for a very long time (20+ years) and I would never have a mobile home under any conditions. Just something to consider.
So, Paula, you are saying that, in comparison to a mobile home which can easily be had for under $10,000 in certain areas, a condo with comparable living quarters can be had for how little? I'm curious, as a newbee shopper.

Old 05-12-2012, 07:22 PM

1 posts, read 38,419 times
Default Rentals

My wife and I would like to stay in Florida for 2 to 3 months in the winter. We would like a mobile home community near Punta Gorda. We would like to pay between $850-1500 per month. Looking for some help.

Old 05-13-2012, 06:50 AM

42 posts, read 144,953 times
Probably the best place to look for mobile home rentals is either VRBO dot com (Vacation Rental By Owner dot com) or go to craigslist. On craigslist you can even post a "wanted" ad.

Venice and Punta Gorda have more trailer parks that would be in the more economical price range but $450 is going to be hard to find.

You might be able to find a person selling it who would consider financing it for you.

Good Luck!

Old 05-13-2012, 07:12 AM

3,979 posts, read 10,488,808 times
You can look for mobile home parks on Mobile Home Village web site: www.mhvillage.com.

There are only 3 mobile home rentals listed in the MLS right now in Punta Gorda and a total of 8 in Charlotte County. I would check with each park individually. A lot of them are for rent by owner or with the management company within the park. Here is the MLS site to check: http://myfloridahomesmls.com/

Here is a blog I wrote about mobile home parks.
What's the attraction of mobile home parks in Southwest Florida?
There are many mobile home parks scattered across Florida. You need to be aware of the differences. There are land-lease parks which are more economical and there are resident-owned parks for a more permanent home. Land-leased communities often sell out to developers as land becomes more valuable. You still own your home and can move it to a new park if this happens, but the cost of transporting the home can be too much for some and they are forced to sell. Be aware and ask the park about this and what your rights are if the park is sold. You should check your agreement.

Many of the parks are for over age 55 and are so-called Mobile Home Retirement Communities. A manufactured home is called a mobile home when it is built before June 1976. After that date, it is called a manufactured home. Many communities have a mixture of ages.

Why would you want to live in a mobile home park? Most people that choose this style of living enjoy the convenience and the low maintenance around the exterior of the property. No more grass cutting, which is a plus at retirement age. It is an efficient and economical way to live comfortably while staying active. Mobile homes are easy to take care of and provide a comfortable living space. Some have small sun rooms and patios. Another major attraction are group activities at the park's clubhouse such as social events, card games, bingo, pool, dances, shopping trips, and more. Some of the parks also offer golf, tennis, a swimming pool, golf trails, and bike trails.

Mobile homes come in a variety of sizes and styles. You can get a 2 bedroom or even a 4 bedroom. Many of the newer homes have the same amenities as a single family home such as ceramic tiled floors, stainless steel appliances, granite counters and large great rooms for entertaining. There is something for everyone.
Attached Thumbnails
Cheap lot rental/mobile homes Sarasota/Tampa-mobile-home-rentals.jpg  
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area