U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area
 [Register]
Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area Manatee and Sarasota Counties
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-11-2010, 01:03 PM

5,735 posts, read 8,335,201 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randy Forbes View Post
Worse still, is the damage it does to the components after it absorbs the water (condensation) that is inherently in all fuel.

I hope it doesn't relegate this to being just a lawn ornament (never was big on trailering a car to a show).
Nice Ride!!! I like the matching license plates! Very cool!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-11-2010, 01:32 PM

14,642 posts, read 27,923,841 times
drool....

Old 03-12-2010, 02:28 AM

275 posts, read 363,671 times
Thanks guys. Next month will mark thirty-two (32) years that I've owned that car. Purchased on April 1st, 1978, using my income tax return as 25% + of the total asking price.

Those were the days...

Old 03-12-2010, 10:49 AM

Quote:
Thanks guys. Next month will mark thirty-two (32) years that I've owned that car. Purchased on April 1st, 1978, using my income tax return as 25% + of the total asking price.

Those were the days...

Just a note, here in Florida, you can buy non-ethynol gas at the Marinas. The ethynol gas plays havoc on boat engines. In MD you cant buy non-ethynol gas anywhere that I know of.

Old 03-12-2010, 12:54 PM

275 posts, read 363,671 times
Thanks for the tip. The extra expense may be worth it, versus the cost of repairs. With a 28 gallon tank, I shouldn't have to make too many trips there.

There's a racetrack (Desoto Speedway?) somewhere out near the area we've been looking (Bradenton/Parrish, East of I-75), and they may sell (leaded) high octane racing fuel onsite. Anyone know?

Although, there's a convenience store right down the road from us here (Holland, Ohio) that sells Sunoco leaded (110 octane?) but it's labeled for "off road use only". As if that isn't enough of a deterrent, the last price I saw (last summer/season) was $6.50/gal!

But, whatever it takes to keep these babies (3 X Weber 45 DCOE) happy...

http://www.rfdm.com/albums/album08/ct3.jpg (broken link)

http://www.rfdm.com/albums/album54/IMG_6657.jpg (broken link)

Old 03-12-2010, 04:14 PM

You may need to fill it with 5 gallon gas cans. I'm not sure what the law is here in Florida. I hope you can work something out. I know the damage that can be done. There should be some law regulations that for cars manufactured before . . . date, that they be allowed to sell gas that doesn't have ethynol. The ethynol deteriorates older type gaskets, not just damage that the water causes. I'm sure you know that. Good Luck

Quote:
Thanks for the tip. The extra expense may be worth it, versus the cost of repairs. With a 28 gallon tank, I shouldn't have to make too many trips there.

There's a racetrack (Desoto Speedway?) somewhere out near the area we've been looking (Bradenton/Parrish, East of I-75), and they may sell (leaded) high octane racing fuel onsite. Anyone know?

Although, there's a convenience store right down the road from us here (Holland, Ohio) that sells Sunoco leaded (110 octane?) but it's labeled for "off road use only". As if that isn't enough of a deterrent, the last price I saw (last summer/season) was $6.50/gal!

But, whatever it takes to keep these babies (3 X Weber 45 DCOE) happy...

Old 03-12-2010, 04:28 PM

301 posts, read 677,692 times
I've got twin I/Os in my boat, and so far (knock on wood) haven't had any issues with E10. I use a 30 gallon gas caddy to fill the tanks (saves about $150 per fill-up vs buying fuel at the marina). Hopefully there's no long-term engine damage up ahead.

Old 03-13-2010, 08:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jvelte View Post
I've got twin I/Os in my boat, and so far (knock on wood) haven't had any issues with E10. I use a 30 gallon gas caddy to fill the tanks (saves about $150 per fill-up vs buying fuel at the marina). Hopefully there's no long-term engine damage up ahead.
Many of the new model boats and engines have been designed to handle E10 gasoline, but almost all of the older models haven't. My boat isn't supposed to have a problem, but I had one of the better gas filters installed that is recommended for them. A few of my neighbors lug the 5 gallon gas caddies to his boat regularly to fill it up. I on the other hand like the convienience and so I just pull up and fill up, and spend the extra money. I think it is a good idea to fill it up everyonce in a while, it forces out all the air and increases the gas to water ratio - I guess.

Old 03-19-2010, 12:14 PM

3 posts, read 33,447 times
Max's is the only station in Sarasota I know of too. Please keep your an eyes open and keep this forum updated if anyone finds another one.

Old 04-24-2010, 11:18 AM

14 posts, read 26,497 times
I can into Max's cause I live right next to there, and saw they were advertising on my fill up, the funny thing was they just told me about it, and I just tried on a whim, the only downside of Max's is they only provide 90 octane non-ethanol gasoline.

The price is higher too, last fill up was $3.30 a gallon 20-30 cents more than their 93 octane mixed, but honestly I drive from Sarasota to Orlando and back quite frequently, and I noticed HUGE mileage changes from ethanol gas vs regular non blended gasoline.

When I used to travel back and forth every weekend few years ago, I would go through quarter tank of gasoline each way (144 mile trip) and I noticed I was going through about 30-35% of my tank on a 1 way trip in the recent months, I just figured my car was getting old and didn't think much of it.

I drive a 1998 Toyota Camry with 150k miles on it, I maintain it mostly myself besides bigger jobs like timing belt changes and what not, everything is taken care of well, and once I tried 90octane regular my gas mileage went back up again. Needless to say as long as they sell it I'll be going back there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area