Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area
 [Register]
Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area Manatee and Sarasota Counties
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-04-2008, 07:36 PM

383 posts, read 1,023,935 times

Advertisements

Hi, we're set to buy a new home in Englewood, and I was wondering if anyone had anything to say about the area,be it good or not so good. Thanks for anything you have!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-04-2008, 09:01 PM

5 posts, read 19,212 times
Englewood is a great area, easy access to beaches, fishing, Boca Grande. Glad to hear that you found a house to buy in the area, outside of Rotunda and South Gulf Cove there is not a lot on the market today that is in decent shape. Very few houses built with the new hurricane code that went into effect in 2002. IF you boought an older home good luck with insurance rates.

Old 09-04-2008, 10:34 PM

6,864 posts, read 12,071,773 times
There are many variables that determine the 'wind' premium for a building. One of the major items is 'year built'. 1994 is the first major year for 'andrew' improvements. Subsequent years for building code improvements are 1998, 2002 and 2006 Anyone looking at a house built before 1994 should first find out what the insurance will cost, that's if you can get any.

Old 09-05-2008, 05:29 AM

7,511 posts, read 22,914,037 times
Englewood is a nice area. It's generally pretty quite, lots of boaters live in Englewood and it's close to the beach. Looks like you like the beaches so this area should be a good choice for you. What area of Englewood did you buy in?

Old 09-05-2008, 06:07 AM

1,380 posts, read 5,926,944 times
Englewood is a great place, I think you'll enjoy living there. Fishing in Lemon Bay is great.
My favorite beach is blind pass beach (mid-Manasota Key).
The "downtown" area on Dearborn St. can be fun, try out "Saturday Nite Live" the second Saturday each month. It's a great way to check out the shops. I listen to the live music while my wife checks out the stores.
Indian Mounds Park has a great boat ramp (free) with plenty of parking.
If you like waterfront dining check out Stump Pass Grille. Great wings and an excellent seafood chowder.

Old 09-05-2008, 06:10 AM

960 posts, read 1,686,640 times
What area did you buy in?

Old 09-05-2008, 07:13 PM

363 posts, read 1,360,162 times
I live in Rotonda West which is located in Englewood. I would check your zoning before buying. Make sure you are not near any proposed dirt mines or commercial or multi-family zoning if you don't want that near you. Deed restricted communities seem to hold their values better (ie., East Englewood vs. Rotonda).

Englewood is divided into two counties (Sarasota & Charlotte). Great schools, far from interstate I-75, close to shopping in Port Charlotte, Venice or Sarasota. Lots of grocery stores, restaurants closing, but still plenty of places to go. Quick beach, boating and fishing here.

I have three kids and they are active in baseball, soccer, basketball and football. We visit the great county parks... I love it here!

Old 09-10-2008, 02:59 PM

42 posts, read 99,087 times
Default Englewood???

Englewood can be a great place to live, but is not right for everyone. If you want to be able to live in the country, but be near a big city I would reccommend North Port for easy access to the interstate and Sarasota, plus quick access if you have to evacuate. Also, if you would prefer being in a small town but near a mall, movie theaters, restaurants like Carrabas, Olive garden, Red Lobster, or Chilis you are going to have to drive a ways unless you live in the northern part of Englewood near Venice. Englewood is really a quiet fishing town with wonderful beaches on the gulf. If the gulf isn't your thing I would recommend a different area to live in. There are plenty of home rentals available because investors thought they could get in on the boom and flip quickly only to find the bubble burst. I would recommend renting before moving to any area to be sure it's really what you are looking for in the long run. Also keep in mind, in Englewood your house insurance premium may be higher since you are close to the coast and you may be required to have flood insurance also.

Old 09-11-2008, 07:16 PM

383 posts, read 1,023,935 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoFLGal View Post
Englewood is a nice area. It's generally pretty quite, lots of boaters live in Englewood and it's close to the beach. Looks like you like the beaches so this area should be a good choice for you. What area of Englewood did you buy in?
South Englewood, Just off S.Mccall near Home Depot! Sorry I,m just making a reply but I havent had much time for the computer lately with all the to- do's on the new house. We think the area is just perfect for us because we love the water, and the beach, and plan to get a fishing boat when we get down there. Plus there are plenty of necessary stores in the area ie:grocery,pharmacy,home supply,etc. and if we need to do some "mall" type shopping we will be much closer to that than we are where we live now Which is just the other side of The Sticks! Right beside East Jahonga! Actually we live in a beautiful country location in western New york which I will probably miss a little bit,but we have talked about this move to FLA. for over 20 yrs. Ok enough said for now,it's past my bedtime and morning worktime comes way too early for me! good night all.

Old 01-24-2009, 12:04 AM

2,209 posts, read 7,653,959 times
I like Englewood. Seems like a neat town.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area