Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area
 [Register]
Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area Manatee and Sarasota Counties
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-05-2008, 03:52 AM

49 posts, read 307,409 times

Advertisements

Hi All,
Quick Question?
Is it better to buy a new vehicle before moving to Florida or wait till we get there and buy. Do we have to pay a tax on our personal property when we move? How much? Any information would be great!
Thanks Angie
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-05-2008, 05:15 AM

1,108 posts, read 4,216,657 times
Question Wait It Out!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roese View Post
Hi All,
Quick Question?
Is it better to buy a new vehicle before moving to Florida or wait till we get there and buy. Do we have to pay a tax on our personal property when we move? How much? Any information would be great!
Thanks Angie
It all depends upon where you live now and when you intend to move......but if I was you....I would wait...

More than likely...depending upon where you live...you will pay a tax on the vehicle when you purchase it......then when you get to Florida and switch everything to a Florida resident......you will then have to pay a yearly tax on your new vehicle......for I believe...Florida has a yearly personal property tax on vehicles/boats/etc...

Try these sites for more info StateOfFlorida.com - FlGov.com - Florida-relocation.com I would of put the www in front of everything...but then this site blocks it...let me know what you find out...thanks

Old 09-05-2008, 05:44 AM

1,380 posts, read 5,926,587 times
The registration fees in Florida are fairly inexpensive, if you purchase a vehicle in Florida you will pay sales tax - 6% minimum. Visit the govenment website for complete info
Florida DHSMV - New Residents or call 850-922-9000.

Old 09-05-2008, 07:32 AM

4,894 posts, read 14,134,978 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rusty78 View Post
It all depends upon where you live now and when you intend to move......but if I was you....I would wait...

More than likely...depending upon where you live...you will pay a tax on the vehicle when you purchase it......then when you get to Florida and switch everything to a Florida resident......you will then have to pay a yearly tax on your new vehicle......for I believe...Florida has a yearly personal property tax on vehicles/boats/etc...

Try these sites for more info StateOfFlorida.com - FlGov.com - Florida-relocation.com I would of put the www in front of everything...but then this site blocks it...let me know what you find out...thanks
I've been here over 16 years and never paid a yearly tax on my vehicle.....

Old 09-05-2008, 07:38 AM

49 posts, read 307,409 times
Default sorry for confusion

We going to buy a new vehicle. We live in Ohio now but will be moving to Florida this fall. When we buy the vehicle in Ohio we will pay a sales tax. We have heard that when you move to Florida you have to pay a tax on the vehicles you bring there. If that's the case it would be better for us to wait and buy in Florida. Is there a tax?

Steve

Old 09-05-2008, 07:47 AM

1,380 posts, read 5,926,587 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roese View Post
We going to buy a new vehicle. We live in Ohio now but will be moving to Florida this fall. When we buy the vehicle in Ohio we will pay a sales tax. We have heard that when you move to Florida you have to pay a tax on the vehicles you bring there. If that's the case it would be better for us to wait and buy in Florida. Is there a tax?

Steve
Steve, there is no tax on your vehicle when you bring it into the state. The only exception I know of is when the vehicle is imported from another country. So if you go to Germany and purchase a car and import it into Florida then you will need to pay Florida sales tax on the vehicle.

Check out the state website I referenced in a prior post for all registration fees.

Old 09-05-2008, 08:24 AM

3,412 posts, read 10,167,793 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ladywithafan View Post
You only pay tax when you buy a vehicle. Yearly thing is a vehicle registration, that i'm sure you're paying like a good little citizen

Old 09-05-2008, 09:30 AM

1,108 posts, read 4,216,657 times
Cool Opps!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ladywithafan View Post
Thank you for the update...that's why I said "I believe"...for I was not sure...but that's the purpose of this site...to exchange info.......

Old 09-05-2008, 09:53 AM

4,894 posts, read 14,134,978 times
Actually, I was feeling left out

Old 09-05-2008, 09:57 AM

2,406 posts, read 7,900,448 times
Just and FYI-
Licensing and registering my vehicle cost 5 times less in FL than it did in Indiana.
So if you need to license and register it I would wait to do it here!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area