U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area
 [Register]
Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area Manatee and Sarasota Counties
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-30-2008, 08:20 AM

8 posts, read 20,873 times

Advertisements

We are considering a move from the UK to Bradenton, and have heard about Bradenton Prep School - does anyone have any information about what the school is like? (Lower school). Are there any other Prep schools we should consider? Many thanks
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-30-2008, 09:24 AM

7,484 posts, read 20,863,622 times
I went to Bradenton Academy for kindergarten many moons ago. The memories that I have of the school (which are very limited) are good. I'm assuming this is the same school. I have a friend that graduated from Bradenton Academy and speaks highly of it. Here's what some other people have said about the school- http://www.greatschools.net/school/p...=3363&state=FL

I've also heard good things about The Center for Education Montessori School. Parent Reviews of Center for Education - Bradenton, Florida - FL

Good luck with your search!

Old 09-30-2008, 02:15 PM

Thank you. Are there any State Elementary schools we should consider? Either in Bradenton or Sarasota? We are looking for a top-rated school that has small class sizes. Hope someone may be able to help/offer advice.

Old 10-01-2008, 08:13 AM

7,484 posts, read 20,863,622 times
Well, if you are looking for top rated schools you need to look at Pine View. It has grades 2nd-12th on the same campus. It was rated the #6 school in the US by US News (http://www.sarasota.k12.fl.us/pvs/PDF/US%20News.pdf - broken link). You do need to pass a few tests to get in though. I have two kids that go there so I may be a little biased.

Old 10-01-2008, 09:01 AM

Excellent ! I'll check out their website - thanks again for your help.

Old 10-05-2008, 06:30 PM

1,939 posts, read 5,799,603 times
RUN FAR AWAY FROM BPA!! I am not a jilted student, parent, or employee-- I worked there for 3 years and left on my own. I advise you to run the other way. The administration is currently being investigated for fraud. Not to mention suspicion of other illegal activity. Their athletic department was alos investigated and was found guilty. The environment is negative, cold and callus--take a look around the school, notice the lack of warmth, especially on the HS side..The elementary side is well run, but lacks so much (recess for example has been taken away since it doesn't fit with their academic plan). I know staff members that have passed on a free education there for their kids. There is nothing college prep about the school, other than the teachers; the awesome, truthfully caring teachers, that are not allowed to be since administration is Bipolar (they don't call is the BiPolar Association) for nothing. I would run even faster away if your child has an IEP-- I wont elaborate, lets say the illegal doings are piled very high. Don't let administration pull you in with the phony credentials. The only reason the school is still there is because the founder is head of the private school accreditation board. I have nothing to gain, just please, there is St. Stephens, and Bradenton Christian. Allow your child to be educated in a loving, warm environment where they can achieve, and blossom to be wonderful!

Old 10-17-2008, 07:06 AM

that doesn't sound great... this website is good as you get to hear different opinions, so thank you.

In the UK, students can apply for scholarships to some private schools (at elementary and middle levels) on the basis of academic performance, rather than the parent's ability to pay. Is this the case in the USA?

Robert Willis Elementary school gets a high rating on schooldigger.com - does anyone have any info on the school?

Old 10-17-2008, 04:06 PM

1 posts, read 3,200 times
Hi -
I'm new to this board & thought I'd put in a plug for Wakeland Elementary in Bradenton. My son went to pre-K at one of the more respected private schools in Bradenton last year and was miserable the whole year. This year, he is in Kindergarten at Wakeland and loves school.

Wakeland is a public magnet school, open to all children in Manatee County, with a focus on international studies. It is an authorized International Baccalaureate Primary Years Program school (International Baccalaureate (IB)). Manatee County now has a PK - 12 public IB program. If you look up Wakeland's grades, they aren't fantastic b/c it is transitioning from being a failing school, but their year-over-year improvement is incredible. This school also has a very diverse student body, which is great.

My son's Kindergarten class is 15 kids to 1 teacher. FL state standards are 18:1, as is maximum ratio at the private school I referred to earlier (due to declining enrollment, the private school actual ratio is lower).

Good luck on your move!

Charlene

Old 10-18-2008, 07:52 PM

83 posts, read 252,062 times
Default Here's our thoughts

Bradenton Prep - academic but, in the past few years have had a real push towards accepting sporty types. Put us off as our son is a bookworm.

Both St Stephen's and St Joseph's in Bradenton are reported to be very academic but nuturing.

Pine View (Sarasota county) is a gifted school. Very good - but VERY large and it is in the South of the county. Our son is gifted but we needed a nuturing environment.

We finally gulped and decided to send our son to public school (never having had a public school experience before).

We enrolled our son in Robert J Willis Elementary - Lakewood Ranch (midway between Sarasota and Bradenton). It is PHENOMENAL. Our son is being pushed academically, class size is 18, teacher is amazing, and I really cannot say enough about the school. It is about 3 years old - state of the art language and science labs, massive library, nurturing environment. I was very hesitant to even consider public school but we felt the preps (for lower school) were just a little too far away for our son and we wanted him to settle in and make friends locally.

For middle/high school we will probably be doing Out of Door Academy which is just down the road from us, or St Joseph Bradenton. But Willis has given our son a better education than we have ever paid for - and believe me - we've spent a fortune over the years and he's still only 2nd grade!
(We're used to the UK and US systems both). Please don't hesitate to send my a private message if you want more info). I know how difficult it is to research from far away!

Old 10-20-2008, 09:27 PM

52 posts, read 127,085 times
St Joseph Catholic School only goes through 8th grade. St Stephens and Bradenton Christian go through 12th.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area