U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area
 [Register]
Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area Manatee and Sarasota Counties
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 09-30-2008, 10:02 AM

413 posts, read 820,464 times

Advertisements

I have been reading some news reports about gas shortages and long lines in Georgia and other places in the southeast. Can anyone update me on the situation in Sarasota and other parts of Florida?
Thanx
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-30-2008, 10:31 AM

3,424 posts, read 6,658,723 times
I haven't seen any lines at the gas stations, unless i'm not aware of the shortages, but i'm sure i would have known by now.

Old 09-30-2008, 10:53 AM

6,768 posts, read 12,691,685 times
Nothing like that happening here. Looks like it's just in NC, GA, TN area.

Old 09-30-2008, 11:07 AM

1,273 posts, read 2,728,825 times
why is this happening only in a few places? i understand that oil refineries in the gulf were offline after the hurricane by why only a few spots in the south are affected?

Old 09-30-2008, 11:27 AM

5,719 posts, read 8,205,140 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSnFla View Post
why is this happening only in a few places? i understand that oil refineries in the gulf were offline after the hurricane by why only a few spots in the south are affected?

I know that there are a lot of oil refineries in the Phildelphia area. I think the Southeast has its historic supply lines / relationships out of the gulf area. That may be the reason. I'm glad Florida hasn't been negatively effected. Do they have a refinery area in Florida?

Old 09-30-2008, 11:42 AM

1,381 posts, read 3,637,252 times
The gas shortages are probably due to the limited amount of the boutique formulations that are required by the Clean Air Act. Areas like Atlanta that have significant air pollution issues can't ordinarily purchase any formulation available. While areas like Sarasota are not so restrictive (clean air). Once the shortages started Atlanta was given permission forgo the restrictions. It will take a while to re-supply and with the fear factor there will be some hording which will extend the shortages.

For more information on boutique gas regulations check out the Clean Air Act

Old 09-30-2008, 02:46 PM

48 posts, read 142,303 times
"...Across a section of the South, a hurricane-induced gasoline shortage that was expected to last only a few days is dragging into its third week, and experts say it could persist into mid-October. The Atlanta area has been hit particularly hard, along with Nashville and western North Carolina...

...The shortage started with the one-two punch of Hurricanes Gustav and Ike, which shut down refineries along the Gulf Coast. Now, more than two weeks after Ike, many refineries are still making fuel at reduced levels.

While other parts of the country get gasoline from a variety of domestic and overseas sources, the Southeast relies heavily on two pipelines that carry fuel from the Gulf of Mexico. Because the gasoline moves at just 3 to 5 mph, it can take up to 10 days to reach Atlanta..."

The full story can be found here: Gas shortage continues to plague Southeast - Oil & energy - MSNBC.com
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area
View detailed profiles of: