U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area
 [Register]
Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area Manatee and Sarasota Counties
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-15-2008, 05:54 AM

49 posts, read 185,569 times
Default Where are best fishing spots in south west florida??

I am moving to North Port Florida on November 1st and will be looking for a good place to fish. I don't have a boat yet but I enjoyed fishing from the piers and surf while on vacations in Myrtle Beach. What/where can I expect to catch this time of the year in the North Port area?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-15-2008, 06:58 AM

1,381 posts, read 3,584,422 times
I don't fish the North Port area, but I know that people do catch large Large mouth bass in the canals.

There is good snook fishing off the El Jobean fishing pier, and the Placida trestles.
The 41 bridge between Punta Gorda and Charlotte Harbor is good for snook and trout. I've seen large cobia landed there also.

The Venice Jetty is good, as with most passes there is a lot of fish milling about. The current flow and rocks can make it difficult to fish.

My favorite tackle shop is Fishin Franks in Charlotte Harbor. Many of the local guides hang out there and advice is freely given. If you are not in a hurry and are willing to listen, you can learn a lot about where and how.

Old 10-15-2008, 07:26 AM

I noted that you said you didn't have a boat yet. When you do get a boat, the Myakka river is a good place to catch a mix of bass and snook.
The Myakka and Peace rivers hold year round tarpon. The winter tarpon will be smaller, mostly under 50lbs but when May comes around the big boys return.

When you look for a boat, may I suggest a shallow draft boat, while you can do well with a bay boat, the winter brings a lower average tide and winds from fronts will keep you in protected waters.

Old 10-15-2008, 07:37 AM

44 posts, read 167,606 times
haha your in luck! you live right by the most productive fisheries in the whole state!
That is Pine Island Sound (around Sanibel and Pine Island.)
I have a ton of spots on the water that i would tell you but you dont have a boat yet---but when you do, email me and i will tell you the best places for bait and redfish/snook, etc. I learned them from all the giudes ive been with haha, but when they're charging 450 a trip, im taking more out of it than the fishing.
Go to local baitshops and they can tell you whats best around your neck of the woods....but fish Pine Island Sound when you get the boat for sure!

Old 10-15-2008, 04:34 PM

What about surf fishing some of the beaches? Is it legal, reqiure any special license and if so what can I expect to catch?

Old 10-15-2008, 04:42 PM

I live in Ohio now and am used to fishing out of bass boats. I like fishing for red fish, while in Myrtle Beach, but my wife wants to make sure we have a boat she can enjoy also. Cruising, catching some sun and mingling with other boaters. I'm not sure if there is such a boat. What's your opinion on center consoles?

Old 10-15-2008, 04:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roese View Post
What about surf fishing some of the beaches? Is it legal, reqiure any special license and if so what can I expect to catch?
If you are a Florida resident and you are fishing on land you will not need a license.

In the summer I catch snook in the dip that's right along the beach.
This time of year you may come across schooling reds along the beach.
The shallows around the passes will find pompano.

Old 10-15-2008, 05:11 PM

Sounds great. What type bait(s) do you fish with?

Old 10-15-2008, 05:54 PM

I throw a castnet. Green backs and threads are my favorite. Pinfish if I can't get the others.
I will use ladyfish for big snook, and catfish tails for river tarpon.

Shrimp and **** are also a favorite, or if I can get big shrimp I'll use a small hook and free line.

Old 10-15-2008, 08:45 PM

6,743 posts, read 12,421,678 times
In the canals in NP you can catch Bass, bluegill, bream. Most of the canals in North Port can handle a small jon boat. The CocoPlum is the largest canal in North Port and it runs along Hillsborough Blvd. There are many small bridges that cross over this canal.

There's a boat ramp off Chancellor Blvd. If you go to the Circle K at Cranberry and 41 and croos over 41, take your first immediate right and go 2-3 miles and you'll run into the yacht basin and boat ramp on your right. That would be the best place to get your boat in the water.

We used to live out on Little Gasparilla Island which is only accessible by boat. Around here you don't want anything with too much draught because your worse danger is going aground. We had Boston Whalers but they ride kind of rough. A lot of the charter guides use Pro-Line boats or something similar to that. They call them a flats boats. Don't get an inboard and don't get anything with a deep v.

If you are going to learn to play golf you would take golf lessons. If you are going to learn to fish in Florida I would spend the money and go out with an experienced fishing guide and you'll learn more in a day than you could ever pick up just trying it on your own. The guides know where to go, how to fish, what lures to use, etc The guys over at Fishin' Franks or Eldred's Marina on your way to the Boca Grande Causeway are great resources as well.

We usually use greenbacks or shrimp when we go out fishing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area