Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area
 [Register]
Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area Manatee and Sarasota Counties
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-29-2010, 02:51 PM

3 posts, read 36,384 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by keylove View Post
Upon further investigation and correspondence I had with the Director of Admissions at University of Bridgeport, They DO NOT accept the Everglades University Alternative Medicine undergraduate degree as entrance into their graduate program.
Wonder why Mr. Grandison would say that UB accepts Alternative Medicine degrees from Everglades University for their ND (in an email dated September 9, 2008) and then suddenly change his mind?

Just to be sure, I called UB to ask about the policy change; however, they were closed for the weekend. Nevertheless, I doubt that things have changed.

I apologize for the public/private mistake. My point was that I wanted to go there because there is housing for graduate students. (And there is...DC, ND and DDS students get the whole fourth floor of one of the dorms.)

There is a seventh program now, offered by the National University of Health Sciences in Chicago. They accept degrees from EU, but--last I heard--they hadn't finished accreditation yet. (I understand that they only had to graduate their first class of NDs to finish; however, the most recent AANMC newsletter said that NUHS graduated their NDs on December 17, 2009. So they're probably just waiting for the accreditation association. Historic Commencement: First ND Grads at NUHS Since 1952)

~*~

This is the last I am going to say on the subject, however. All of you clearly believe that Everglades is nothing but a diploma mill staffed by hucksters, so providing information is a waste of time.

(Thank you to those who actually listened to me and you're welcome to those who I helped.)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-29-2010, 02:58 PM

172 posts, read 472,555 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by keylove View Post
Neither of those schools are regionally accredited either.....

I am looking to go to a regionally accredited school so I can then go on to graduate school to become a doctor of Naturopathic Medicine. The Everglades bachelor Degree in Alternative Medicine seemed like a good option, but it is as are all the other schools, really worth nothing without accreditation. One cannot gain entrance into a legitimate graduate program unless they have attended a regionally credited institution.

Not True: The East West College is fully accredited. Upon graduation you will sit for the boards and upon passing you become a state certified primary care physician.

Old 01-29-2010, 05:45 PM

8 posts, read 84,932 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dishing the 9411 View Post
Not True: The East West College is fully accredited. Upon graduation you will sit for the boards and upon passing you become a state certified primary care physician.

I'm sorry, you are incorrect. I sat with an advisor last week. They are not a regionally accredited institution, nor are they in the process of seeking regional accreditation.

However they do carry these accreditations. My intentions as I said would be to go on to graduate school, and a degree from here would not be recognized by a regionally accreditated institution. Diploma mills, maybe.

LICENSURE & CERTIFICATION

East West College of Natural Medicine is licensed by the Commission for Independent Education (CIE), Florida Department of Education: Additional information regarding this institution may be obtained by contacting the Commission at 325 West Gaines Street, Suite 1414, Tallahassee, FL 32399-0400. 1-800-245-3200

Also:

ACCREDITATION

The Master of Science in Oriental Medicine program of the East West College of Natural Medicine is accredited by the Accreditation Commission for Acupuncture and Oriental Medicine (ACAOM) which is the recognized accrediting agency for the approval of programs preparing acupuncture and Oriental Medicine practitioners. ACAOM is located at:
Maryland Trade Center #3
7501 Greenway Center Drive, Ste. 820
Greenbelt, MD 20770
Phone: 301-313-0855

Old 01-29-2010, 07:26 PM

My point is they are fully accredited to offer a degree that allows you to practice TCM in the state of Florida. They have the accreditation that is needed to practice as licensed professional in the state. They are not seeking regional accreditation because they do not need it. You personally might feel you need a degree from a school that has regional accreditation for your career goals, but that is another issue completely. I was offering some other choices that are in Sarasota that will allow you to study alternative healthcare. However, if you do get a degree from Everglades, you will still need to find a graduate program in TCM, Ayurveda, massage therapy, or naturopathy to be able to practice as a healthcare professional. Until then, the best you can hope for is a position as an office assistant in an alternative health clinic. FYI: New College and USF are both in Sarasota; they might have what you need. Best Wishes!

Last edited by dishing the 9411; 01-29-2010 at 07:42 PM..

Old 01-29-2010, 08:27 PM

Thank you Dish.

IMHO Naturopathic Doctors should not be allowed to practice unless they have gone through the proper schooling to become a Certified one. In the state of Florida we have no laws governing Naturopathic Doctors, virtually anyone can claim to be one. The difference in knowing when you have found a legitimate Dr. is when you look at their credentials. If they have been educated and board certified in a state that requires it, they are the real deal.

Licensed Naturopathic Doctors do not generally practice things like massage therapy or Ayurveda though they may have a practice that offers it. The few schools that offer the accreditited degree require a minor in either Acupuncture, Botanical Medicine, or Nutrition to round out the doctorate.

Thank you for the suggestion, I will be looking into USF. It was would be great if they had a program more in line with what I would like to do to build on, but I can take all the necessary sciences etc and move on from there. It has always been an interest of mind and I am excited to pursue it. I just want to make sure I am fully educated, licensed, and legit. Should I go the other route I would be up the creek if I had to live a state that required licensure, not to mention unhappy with myself.

Thanks form mentioning those schools I am sure this thread may be of use to to some others who come across it. I had never heard of the Ayurveda school here in Sarasota.

Old 01-30-2010, 04:05 AM

The owners of the Ayurvedic school are wonderful. Here is the direct link: Ayurvedic Healers - Yoga - Pancha Karma - Kaya Kalpa - Massage - Sarasota - Florida

In addition to their school, they teach the certificate program in Ayurveda at the Florida College of Integrated Health here in Sarasota. http://www.fcih.org/

Also, if you obtain associates from Everglades, you might qualify for the Bachelor of Science in Applied Science program at USF. Although, will most likely require a degree from an accredited institution as a prerequisite for admission. Anyhow, it’s worth a shot. I wish you well on your journey.

Good Luck!

Last edited by dishing the 9411; 01-30-2010 at 04:24 AM..

Old 03-25-2011, 08:15 PM

1 posts, read 17,222 times
Hello - go on sacs website everglades university is regionally accredited>

get your info straight people!!!!

Old 03-27-2011, 08:22 AM

Correct, they recently became accredited. You may want to check the dates of threads before you write a post.......

Quote:
Originally Posted by NDme View Post
Hello - go on sacs website everglades university is regionally accredited>

get your info straight people!!!!

Old 08-28-2011, 07:30 PM

1 posts, read 16,996 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by livinginnokomis View Post
I believe Everglades University is for-profit....don't go there. they literally want your money.

I have been attending Everglades University for seven months now, however I am starting to question their intentions. What makes you think they only want your money? I would like some insight...

Old 08-31-2011, 07:55 PM

34 posts, read 74,467 times
I've looked into programs pretty extensively because I had wanted to become a ND after having some homeopathy and Reiki classes. I planned on going to Bastyr.. but then started having babies! LOL! Like someone said there are VERY limited schools to become a ND! I too considered EU and that bastardized school Clayton.. However.. DO's are also really similar and somewhat easier to achieve!! Basically I was told that for ANY medical division, the best way to go about is to first get a degree in Biology, then get into your medical program. There's nothing saying that any of them are better than the other.. and IMO you can do just as well, if not better, as an MD with alternative leanings!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area