U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area
 [Register]
Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area Manatee and Sarasota Counties
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-24-2007, 11:36 AM

2 posts, read 8,675 times

Advertisements

Hi
My family will be visiting Anna Maria Island this summer.
Our children are 15, 17, 19 all girls. A young man, 19, will also be joining us. We are middle class and renting a house a block from the beach.

Are there any awesome aquariums, reasonable shopping?
Entertainment suggestions?
Markets?
Places to avoid?

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-24-2007, 04:32 PM

523 posts, read 2,522,998 times
I Love Anna Maria Island, Be sure to eat at GULF CAFE for breakfast on Bradenton beach, You could drive to Armand circle in Sarasota to shop or lunch. I like to also go to the Anna Maria pier. Longboat Key is near by and it has some shops near the publix grocery, that are pretty neat.
You will love it at the island.

Old 02-28-2007, 01:37 PM

23 posts, read 145,205 times
I have been to the island and it is very nice, it is a little quiet, i would drive into Bradenton or Sarasota for bars, there are lots of private bars if you join and their is a nice beach bar in Bradenton Beach, a hguge one with regular acts!

I would recommend you try the traditional Floribbean restaurant at Bradenton Beach, they have nightly sunset parties from 6pm!!! Be sure to get a camera, the sun goes down in 10 seconds! LITERALLY!!! I would recommend it to anyone!

Old 02-28-2007, 02:10 PM

4,542 posts, read 11,394,845 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by curious from ohio View Post
Hi
Our children are 15, 17, 19 all girls. A young man, 19, will also be joining us. We are middle class and renting a house a block from the beach.

Markets?
Places to avoid?
Thanks

I've lived on AMI for over since 1991. You can go to either the Beachhouse or Sandbar for music at sunset out on the deck/beach....

During the summer that are great sales at St. Armand's circle just south of Longboat Key...

The Aquarium is up in Tampa, There's the Dali Museum in St. Pete...google St. Petersburg & you'll find the attractions...

AMI is pretty quiet during the summer.....The Sun House has very good food..
Mote Marine is at the south end of Longboat. Skinny's has better burgers than Duffy's....Island gourmet Pizza is the bomb....

As for entertainment, that would be the hurricanes....other than that, it's DEAD on the island...unless Koko Ray is playing at Decoy Ducks.

Gulf Drive Cafe has always has the best waffles....

Jungle Gardens is down in Sarasota by the Ringling Museum of Art...There is a really cool place to visit out east in Manatee County, Solomon's castle. You can google that...it's pretty wild but closed during part of the summer so you'd need to check hours...the Star shows are great at the Bishop Planetarium...

Old 03-01-2007, 08:09 AM

1,418 posts, read 8,858,857 times
I've spent time on AMI, and I love the place! I hope it hasn't changed much since I haven't been there in about 10 years. It was very residential and everyone knew each other. Do the kids still have bottle rocket wars on the beach during the 4th?

Old 03-02-2007, 09:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prichard View Post
I've spent time on AMI, and I love the place! I hope it hasn't changed much since I haven't been there in about 10 years. It was very residential and everyone knew each other. Do the kids still have bottle rocket wars on the beach during the 4th?

They say fireworks on the beach are illegal but it's kind of hard to arrest everyone with fireworks....It has done a big change in the past ten years...You wouldn't believe it....it's not the AMI you remember.

Old 03-05-2007, 09:16 AM

36 posts, read 123,419 times
Quote:
I've lived on AMI for over since 1991. You can go to either the Beachhouse or Sandbar for music at sunset out on the deck/beach....

Just be careful of the seafood................. they charge full price for scallops that are nothing but skate punch.
Beautiful setting, wonderful music, but food is medicore at high prices.

Old 03-05-2007, 01:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by beachin01930 View Post
Just be careful of the seafood................. they charge full price for scallops that are nothing but skate punch.
Beautiful setting, wonderful music, but food is medicore at high prices.

Notice that I did not mention the quality of the food....it sucks.....most of the seafood in Florida sucks.....every tourist season prices go sky high, driving becomes a gauntlet and locals don't even go out to dinner, we know better!

Old 03-05-2007, 07:53 PM

2 posts, read 9,806 times
I recently relocated from Bradenton to Tennessee. I lived about 10 minutes from Anna Marie Island.
The kids will be happy to stay at the beach most of the time trust me. The Mote Marine is a great place for a couple of hours. Just google Mote Marine and you should get all the information that you need. Otherwise, you have the Aquarium in Tampa. St.Armands Circle is also a nice evening. There are several boutiques to browse through and several good restaurants. Tylers Ice Cream on Cortez Road, just across the bridge from Bradenton Beach is a must The Mangrove Grill is a great place to dine, one on my favorites.
I am visiting again soon! Let me know if you need any further info, I will be happy to help.

Old 05-18-2007, 01:08 PM

1 posts, read 4,928 times
Smile Our 1st time to Anna Maria Island !!

Quote:
Originally Posted by curious from ohio View Post
Hi

Markets?
Places to avoid?

Thanks
My family will also be visiting AMI this summer, over the 4th. We are traveling with 2 boys (19Yrs.) and 2 girls (13 and 14). We are excited to go, we love the gulf, but I'm concerned they will be bored. We are also renting a house. If you go before the 4th, let me know how the trip went and what there is to do for the older guys. Thanks so much. Have a great time!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2013 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area