Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area
 [Register]
Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area Manatee and Sarasota Counties
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Thread summary:

Middle class Virginia family with two children looking to relocate to Florida, seeking information on; is Florida family friendly, activities for children, family life in Sarasota

Old 11-26-2008, 09:55 AM

78 posts, read 437,061 times

Advertisements

We are a very middle-class family with two young children. We currently live in Virginia and cannot wait to find a place to settle down. I have been on a lot of threads on this forum asking for info, and I appreciate all of the help I have received. After visiting a few of the places recommended, we have realized that weather may have a lot more to do with our happiness in a place. (i.e. we were interested in places much too cold for our liking.) A friend of mine recommended Sarasota. I never even searched south of us before.

My main concerns with Florida is that I picture every place with half naked people walking around all the time. I know this may sound silly, but it is all I have seen. What is Sarasota like for families? Is there enough to do? What are the schools like?

I have ordered relocation packets and won't see them for a few weeks. I'd really like to know if an open-minded family with young children could make a life in Sarasota. The weather is exactly what we are looking for. We are bored where we currently are and need a change. If Sarasota isn't a good match, where would you recommend?

I hope to hear from someone soon.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-26-2008, 10:51 AM

7,511 posts, read 22,912,465 times
Hi There,

I live in Sarasota county and have three children and we love it here! I really can't answer that question though for your family. What I love you may not so I would suggest doing a lot of research on the Internet and then making a trip down here to check out the area. My children play soccer year round, we go to the beach, we go to different parks and hike the trails. We like to go to different local festivals-EFest, Hunsader Farms, etc

I got a chuckle out of you comment about people being half naked Of course the weather here is much warmer so you don't have to always be bundled up. I think that in general you will find the dress in Florida a bit more casual than other parts of the country. I know some of my associates will wear a collared shirt, shorts and boat shoes to the office. You probably would not see this up north.

Why are you bored where you are? What are you looking for in the your new destination? My children attend Pine View School for the Gifted in Osprey (southern Sarasota county). It has grades 2nd-12th and has consistently been rated one of the best schools in the Nation by US News. It is a public school but there are tests required for entrance. Many of the schools in Sarasota county are rated highly by Florida state standards.

Good luck with your search!!

Old 11-26-2008, 04:41 PM

51 posts, read 222,727 times
"We are bored where we currently are and need a change."

It can be hard to evaluate in yourself but be aware that whatever makes you bored where you live now will follow you wherever you move if the discontent stems from within rather than from your location.

Old 11-26-2008, 04:56 PM

414 posts, read 1,245,002 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dntw8up View Post
"We are bored where we currently are and need a change."

It can be hard to evaluate in yourself but be aware that whatever makes you bored where you live now will follow you wherever you move if the discontent stems from within rather than from your location.
Well said. My father used to say the same thing about happiness.

Old 11-26-2008, 05:31 PM

1,380 posts, read 5,926,587 times
I think that Sarasota is a bit different from what most people think of when they envision Florida.
While Sarasota has great beaches, excellent boating and fishing, numerous parks and preserves, waterfront dining, out door shopping malls, and tropical fauna . Sarasota is also a center for fine arts.
In Sarasota you will find the Ringling museum of art on the estate of John and Mable Ringling. The Asolo Repertory Theatre (http://www.asolo.org/Home/tabid/355/Default.aspx - broken link), The Van Wezel Performing art, The Sarasota Ballet, The Sarasota Orchestra, Selby Gardens, and Mote Marine.

In my opinion the weather is just about perfect 6-7 months of the year, and since I enjoy the summers too you won't find me complaining about the weather.

Old 11-27-2008, 09:44 AM

6,103 posts, read 15,081,815 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FLBob View Post
I think that Sarasota is a bit different from what most people think of when they envision Florida.
While Sarasota has great beaches, excellent boating and fishing, numerous parks and preserves, waterfront dining, out door shopping malls, and tropical fauna . Sarasota is also a center for fine arts.
In Sarasota you will find the Ringling museum of art on the estate of John and Mable Ringling. The Asolo Repertory Theatre (http://www.asolo.org/Home/tabid/355/Default.aspx - broken link), The Van Wezel Performing art, The Sarasota Ballet, The Sarasota Orchestra, Selby Gardens, and Mote Marine.

In my opinion the weather is just about perfect 6-7 months of the year, and since I enjoy the summers too you won't find me complaining about the weather.
Well said everyone. - The only one, and only thing that can make a person happy or content and appreciative is themselves. Others cannot do it, places can't do it, money can't do it, it has to come from within. Although, having a loving family, some money, and good health is essential, having good weather and fun / interesting things readily available to enjoy can add a lot to the pleasantness in life; it has to come from within. - Happy Thanksgiving everyone.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area