Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area
 [Register]
Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area Manatee and Sarasota Counties
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-14-2009, 07:25 AM

6,103 posts, read 15,081,815 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by gypsychic View Post
I know what you mean about sort of loving it. Half of Bradenton is horrible, ghetto and "redneck" - the other half is beautiful, charming, historic, waterfront - that's the part I love. I love Manatee Ave - it's one of the nicest commercial roads I have ever seen. There are 4 bodies of water that come together in Bradenton which gives it a really charged vibe. Riverview Blvd is gorgeous, and there is a neat downtown neighborhood called "Ware's Creek" that is undergoing revitalization. I also love the charming little "Village of the Arts." Bradenton is a city of so much unrealized potential. It just needs to get it's "ghetto half" under control, and downtown needs some help, although the city is trying. Also I love the beaches there, they are completely awesome.

For people coming from a truly high crime larger city, the crime in Bradenton probably won't seem so bad. Frankly MOST of it happens in certain bad neighborhoods. Unfortunately some does happen now even in the better areas, although it is a lot more random

All in all, I personally still like Bradenton, I actually live right between Sarasota and Bradenton and go into both towns.
Good Post and Very True!
Having lived in the Baltimore area, I can attest that most of Baltimore is beautiful, historic, has a wonderful sports complex downtown, as well as the Inner Harbor which has been held up as a model for downtown revitalization. Years ago it started with condeming old properties that were totally deteriorating, and selling them back to residents for $1.00, with the provision that they had to be brought up to code, and the buyers had to live there for 3 years. Now you can't touch many of those homes. Those areas, Federal Hill, Fells Point, Canton, and others are young and vibrant, with great stores, shops, restaurants, historical old markets, and other things that make those areas great. Yet, there are still areas in Baltimore where you really don't wanta go unless you are looking for trouble, drugs, etc . . .

TKramer, I don't belive that man is inherently evil. I think the opposite. I think that some may be, but in general people will adapt to their environment and become a product of that and their peers. I've seen some blue collar areas, get a bad name because they've had some crime, but most of the people work hard, and are honest, well intending people, and would not tolarate the kind of crime that everyone hates - even the criminals that have crime force upon them.

I'm no social worker though, so fortunately I can't go to much deeper than that, or this reply would be 100 pages long!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-14-2009, 09:10 PM

25,449 posts, read 11,726,679 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TKramar View Post
Crimes happen in EVERY town. Even ones with a smaller population. Sorry, that's human nature for you. Man is inherently evil.
Yes, but Bradenton and Manatee County is out of control. Read the newspaper and the crime stats some time.

Old 06-14-2009, 11:09 PM

27,232 posts, read 46,639,854 times
No more so than ANY other town. Seriously! If you're looking for crime, you can find it. Too many people are out there that are only looking for what they can get. Greedy people. Me, I don't care about material things, so I'm not going to commit crimes to get them.

Old 06-15-2009, 07:28 AM

4,894 posts, read 14,134,978 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suncoast Guy View Post
Yes, but Bradenton and Manatee County is out of control. Read the newspaper and the crime stats some time.
I am going to 2nd this. Crime in Bradenton is out of control. It's the nature of the beast foraging for food in the jungle where the river's gone dry.

And, right now, combine the heat with the unemployment and add some liquor on the weekend's & you have Hell's kitchen full of smoke.

Old 06-15-2009, 07:45 AM

Things are tough all over...

Old 06-15-2009, 10:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ladywithafan View Post
I am going to 2nd this. Crime in Bradenton is out of control. It's the nature of the beast foraging for food in the jungle where the river's gone dry.

And, right now, combine the heat with the unemployment and add some liquor on the weekend's & you have Hell's kitchen full of smoke.
Absolutely right lady!

Quote:
Yes, this is true, but again, crime is not up all over the place. North Port, for example, saw a decrease in crime in 2008. If the Bradenton Police Force were to step up patrol and watched the streets a little better, they may be able to catch more of these gang members and drug dealers, they people that cause a lot of the crime. If some places can do it, others can too.

Old 06-15-2009, 11:57 AM

Quote:
Yeah, only in Manatee County will a drug addict go and file a police report when his dealer runs off with his crack & his $100. Go figure?

Old 06-15-2009, 02:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ladywithafan View Post
Yeah, only in Manatee County will a drug addict go and file a police report when his dealer runs off with his crack & his $100. Go figure?
Exactly wrong, since I read the same sort of report back in 2001 in DESOTO County, you know, Arcadia, or as some call it, "Hickville". Except it was a woman, and she said he stole it when she wouldn't give him sex.

Old 06-15-2009, 08:11 PM

Quote:
Exactly wrong, since I read the same sort of report back in 2001 in DESOTO County, you know, Arcadia, or as some call it, "Hickville". Except it was a woman, and she said he stole it when she wouldn't give him sex.
Oy...

Old 06-16-2009, 09:23 AM

Quote:
Not wrong, it was in the Bradentucky Herald.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area