U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area
 [Register]
Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area Manatee and Sarasota Counties
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-15-2009, 05:18 PM

133 posts, read 321,224 times

Advertisements

I am getting mixed opinions about how safe Sarasota and surrounding areas are. Some people say Tampa and St. Petersburg are run down and have gangs and that this trickles down the coast, and others say it's just fine. PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE fill me in ( and be honest )

Also, one thing I forgot to mention...I have my own small business as a wedding planner here in Ohio and I'm curious about the wedding market down there.

Thank you!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-15-2009, 06:26 PM

1,381 posts, read 3,674,703 times
I live in Venice which is just south of the city of Sarasota, but in Sarasota county. Venice is probably one of the safest cities in Florida.
I don't spend a lot of time keeping stats on crime in Sarasota, but watching the news I'm not hit with "Oh my god it's not safe out there".

I was talking with a friend that lives near the Ringling estate and he said that he had a break in several years back, he also said that the police seem to have done a lot to get rid of the " bad element" in the area since that time.

As far as wedding planning, I know that a lot of people from elsewhere come into this area to have their weddings. Our friends daughter who lives in Chicago, will be getting married in Sarasota this coming June. I'm not sure what the competition is like, but I believe that if you can associate yourself with some of the hotels you may have success.

Old 01-15-2009, 06:54 PM

6,779 posts, read 12,875,200 times
Like any town, there are some neighborhoods that are better than others. That being said I would say crime in Sarasota is not bad. I used to work in the Sarasota County Jail in the early 90's and most of what we saw come in was petit theft, boyfriend/girlfriend altercations, people getting stopped with marijuana in their car, DUI, DWLS, trespassing & open container (mostly the homeless), non payment of child support, fraud, etc. That type of thing. Here's the Sarasota County arrest report. Keep in mind that Sarasota county covers a very large area-North Port, Venice, Warm Mineral Springs, Osprey, Nokomis, Laurel, and Sarasota. They book everyone in to the Sarasota County jail.

Sarasota has some of the best beaches in the world so I would guess they might be a hot spot for marriages. A few other places that are popular for weddings in Sarasota are Selby Gardens, Ringling, Siesta Beach. I would assume that Florida and Hawaii might be on the top of people's lists for destination spots to get married.

Old 01-15-2009, 09:05 PM

133 posts, read 321,224 times
Thanks! You two seem to know a lot and have been very helpful. I didn't know this until today, but two of my mom's best friends live in Sarasota!!! How did I never know that?!

Old 01-16-2009, 02:30 PM

824 posts, read 1,538,628 times
My mom lives off 41 in a retirement codo near Marina Jacks. A man in her building was waiting at the traffic light (at night) to return home. A man entered his car and slit his throat. I live in a develpment closer to I-75 off Proctor Road. Down the road there is a less desireable street (it backs up to the elementary school, a father, son and another person broke into a home with a gun and knife and injured the homeowner, they fled the area and ran thru the school yard. Five schools that are located in the vicinity were in lock down for hours. Helicopters and police were everywhere (most parents had no idea what the heck was going on when the kids didn't come home from school). The perps were eventially caught. It was all over drugs, but it was quite scary. One more incident on a lighter note was a bank was robbed and the thief got away on his BICYCLE.

Old 03-19-2009, 11:18 AM

16 posts, read 53,085 times
Sarasota PD does a great job of watching the local undesireables, theres quite a large homeless problem as in most of florida...id say its safe here, but stay away from the bus terminal area after dark..too many skells staggering around..

Old 03-19-2009, 12:32 PM

4,232 posts, read 8,327,545 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by buckeyegal78 View Post
I am getting mixed opinions about how safe Sarasota and surrounding areas are. Some people say Tampa and St. Petersburg are run down and have gangs and that this trickles down the coast, and others say it's just fine. PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE fill me in ( and be honest )

Also, one thing I forgot to mention...I have my own small business as a wedding planner here in Ohio and I'm curious about the wedding market down there.

Thank you!!

We've just had a number of home invasions all around town; Bradenton had the same type of invasions going on prior to us...looks like BPD is directing traffic our way....

You'll find crime throughout Florida cities...some are worse than others, it's because there's no need for mittens, snow hats, gloves...just a pair of flip flops and a baseball cap & you're dressed for a bank robbery.

There weddings all over the place on the beaches during the weekend's; as to competition????

Old 03-22-2009, 11:42 AM

25,444 posts, read 7,233,927 times
I believe Sarasota is safe, however just like any town, there are the good and bad spots. Sarasota's "Newtown" community, which runs from University Parkway to about Fruitville or maybe a little further south is where you find most the the whoo-ha around, however things do happen elsewhere. No city is invaluable to crime, but I do believe that Sarasota doesn't have a whole lot of crime compared to other cities around (ex. Bradenton, Tampa, Palmetto). Good Luck!

What you have heard about Tampa and St. Pete is virtually true. Both cities are crime-ridden, run down, and gang-infested. I was St. Pete last month and most of the city was just "blah", I wasn't really comfortable there like I am in Sarasota. Stick to the Suncoast!!

Old 03-24-2009, 05:21 PM

545 posts, read 839,619 times
Im gonna be honest with you people.
Im taking 3 cities in which I had 1 possible incident. Sarasota, St Pete and Tampa. I got hassled by 3 black kids that were looking for a fight. Guess where that happened?
SARASOTA. I find people are getting this false sense of security that Sarasota is safer than St Pete and Tampa which it may appear to many but, Ive been safe in St Pete/Tampa and have had less trouble in either spot than I have in Sarasota/Bradenton.

Old 03-25-2009, 05:28 AM

3 posts, read 22,145 times
Hmmm....interesting feedback...I am a single gay parent with two young sons, one of which will need a Boces (technical/special ed) school. I teach dance, usually in college, but I just lost my college job and I can move any place right now. I'm looking in Pinnellas County, St. Petersburg area but I am open to feedback from all. Being 55, I'm considering FL or NC, as I get closer to the retirement time. I lived in N & S Florida in the 70s/80s, so I know a little about the area, but I really want a good place for the kids and me. Thanks. (Please be nice
respectfully,
Barry
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area