Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area
 [Register]
Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area Manatee and Sarasota Counties
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-24-2009, 12:38 AM

473 posts, read 1,164,068 times

Advertisements

Hi. I am trying to find any info on how the process is going. Does it look like they will incorporate and the taxes go down?
I am very curious how this plays out. Creating their own government including Police etc and seeing how taxes will come down.
If it is true, then Manatee County must be gouging them right now.
Any info is appreciated.

Ladywithafan I apologize to you. I originally questioned why you insist on lumping Lakewood Ranch with Bradenton even though it's closer to Sarasota. Duh, Manatee County. I get it now
Even if I still don't associate it with Bradenton, I at least understand it. Been meaning to tell you that and just did

My last two cents about it, someone, forget who right now though, keeps referring to Lakewood as Fakewood. I am not at all in agreement with this.
We recently explored a bunch of towns near beaches and towns and decided that we agree on places like:
New Tampa
Wesley Chapel
Westchase

Lakewood Ranch
Palmer Ranch

We decided against quaint towns like Dunedin, Oldsmar, Palm Harbor and a few others like them.

There is a clear difference between these types of towns and we discovered during our search that we liked the planned communities. Gated or not. I really think it is of poor taste to say Lakewood is Fakewood. It is perhaps too Stepford Wives in a way and I get that. But it is a beautiful place that is well kept and maybe not for everyone, but please don't tell me these planned communities that back up to lakes and preserves are fake! I give kudo's to the builders and planners for keeping so much of the original green space and manicuring the rest.
I guess I just don't understand the hate on for some of these Lakewood type places. I think they appear to be a pretty cool place to live and by the way, I like diversity and waterfront.
I grew up in Toronto, downtown on the waterfront so I think I can speak with authority on the issue. And would love to live downtown on the water again but much like waterfront downtown Toronto living, Sarasota downtown waterfront living appears to be uber expensive and also has some drawbacks despite so many positives. Or maybe just maybe I'm getting older Not old, just older!
At least in my own mind

Rant off
Willy
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-24-2009, 09:29 AM

9,718 posts, read 6,402,066 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beerme1 View Post
Hi. I am trying to find any info on how the process is going. Does it look like they will incorporate and the taxes go down?
I am very curious how this plays out. Creating their own government including Police etc and seeing how taxes will come down.
If it is true, then Manatee County must be gouging them right now.
Any info is appreciated.

Ladywithafan I apologize to you. I originally questioned why you insist on lumping Lakewood Ranch with Bradenton even though it's closer to Sarasota. Duh, Manatee County. I get it now
Even if I still don't associate it with Bradenton, I at least understand it. Been meaning to tell you that and just did

My last two cents about it, someone, forget who right now though, keeps referring to Lakewood as Fakewood. I am not at all in agreement with this.
We recently explored a bunch of towns near beaches and towns and decided that we agree on places like:
New Tampa
Wesley Chapel
Westchase

Lakewood Ranch
Palmer Ranch

We decided against quaint towns like Dunedin, Oldsmar, Palm Harbor and a few others like them.

There is a clear difference between these types of towns and we discovered during our search that we liked the planned communities. Gated or not. I really think it is of poor taste to say Lakewood is Fakewood. It is perhaps too Stepford Wives in a way and I get that. But it is a beautiful place that is well kept and maybe not for everyone, but please don't tell me these planned communities that back up to lakes and preserves are fake! I give kudo's to the builders and planners for keeping so much of the original green space and manicuring the rest.
I guess I just don't understand the hate on for some of these Lakewood type places. I think they appear to be a pretty cool place to live and by the way, I like diversity and waterfront.
I grew up in Toronto, downtown on the waterfront so I think I can speak with authority on the issue. And would love to live downtown on the water again but much like waterfront downtown Toronto living, Sarasota downtown waterfront living appears to be uber expensive and also has some drawbacks despite so many positives. Or maybe just maybe I'm getting older Not old, just older!
At least in my own mind

Rant off
Willy
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area