Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area
 [Register]
Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area Manatee and Sarasota Counties
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-06-2009, 07:44 AM

17,534 posts, read 39,126,512 times

Advertisements

In today's Sarasota Herald there is an article about the Proscenium Project, a large project north of downtown which will include condos, commercial space, a Waldorf-Astoria Hotel and a performing arts venue.

Proscenium project is back on track | HeraldTribune.com | Sarasota Florida | Southwest Florida's Information Leader

I have mixed feelings - on the upside, it will be a shot in the arm for downtown, which is thriving, but could use a little more business. It will also provide hundreds of jobs during construction and after.

On the downside, it will create major traffic at an already congested area, and change the character of some nearby neighborhoods (they have bought up a lot of properties for this project.)

I guess my big question is, who will buy these uber expensive condos and rent the overpriced retail space? Across the road from this project a perfectly beautiful smaller scale shopping plaza was torn down for a competing billion dollar project and it sits empty because the developer ran out of $$$ and also had personal problems. I guess we'll see what happens with this one.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-08-2009, 06:20 AM

1,217 posts, read 2,835,849 times
gypsy
I come from a small town (north) that underwent a major project that took 4 years, put a LOT of small businesses out of business, just so some motel owners (driving force in Chamber of Commerce) could brag about the new downtown.
My business was located out of town on the major highway so I wasn't affected but I felt bad for the downtown merchants.
What the end result was I felt removed all the historical character of my small beach town and was a waste of taxpayers money (yes federal money was used).
When the big money people decide to do a project it takes a lot of effort to go against them. They have the money, lawyers, support of elected officials that they have donated to and support of the media they advertise with.
There is always a money reason behind these projects and it is rarely good for the common folk like me.
I don't live in Sarasota so don't know the history of Proscenium Project but already feel sorry for the small businesses that will fail due to construction/road closures. They should relocate now. Officials lie about how long things take, if they say one year it will be 5.

Old 02-26-2009, 05:55 PM

1 posts, read 2,328 times
This project is a non-starter, and the land will sit vacant for years. Something about the Florida climate breeds big dreams and pie in the sky!

Old 03-06-2009, 04:58 PM

3,269 posts, read 9,934,811 times
Proscenium project sustains a new blow

Developers of the Proscenium failed to close on the project's land last week, the latest in a series of obstacles that have confronted the nearly $1 billion complex.

Proscenium project sustains a new blow | HeraldTribune.com | Sarasota Florida | Southwest Florida's Information Leader

Old 03-06-2009, 06:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UKOK View Post
Proscenium project sustains a new blow

Developers of the Proscenium failed to close on the project's land last week, the latest in a series of obstacles that have confronted the nearly $1 billion complex.

Proscenium project sustains a new blow | HeraldTribune.com | Sarasota Florida | Southwest Florida's Information Leader
I saw that article today - I am beginning to think this really will not happen, and if it doesn't is sure won't break my heart - they have to be crazy to think this project would be a success financially. They still claim it will happen, but.... I don't think so, anymore.

Old 04-24-2009, 12:21 PM

Hey - anyone know what, if anything, is happening with this project? Thanks.

Old 04-24-2009, 01:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UKOK View Post
Hey - anyone know what, if anything, is happening with this project? Thanks.
Here's the latest: They've got a lawsuit now.

Lawsuit adds wrinkle to Proscenium project plan | HeraldTribune.com | Sarasota Florida | Southwest Florida's Information Leader

Old 04-28-2009, 06:44 AM

Thanks. This project looks like it will be years away....if ever.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area