Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area
 [Register]
Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area Manatee and Sarasota Counties
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-09-2009, 04:07 PM

2,209 posts, read 7,625,317 times

Advertisements

I've been trying to find out what the crime situation is in englewood. The lack of street lights, along with some of the houses off Leach, Oak, Elm street area makes me wonder, is this old Fla or is it changing and attracting a different crowd.

Any light on the subject would be greatly appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-10-2009, 08:34 AM

1,217 posts, read 2,819,661 times
Before we purchased we did a search on the Florida state site for predators to see how close/how many. Yes they are always a presence but we wanted to know how close.
Then I called the local police and asked how crime was and they said not a problem. There have been incidences of car break-ins at the YMCA's and other places, smashed windows not just theft from open cars (that happened too).

I've been reading about hold-ups at convenience stores but nothing violent and generally no personal crime like home invasion. Expect more burglaries as economics get worse.

We will be changing our front door which is a french door !!! (what were they thinking) which is original to the house 16 years ago. Other houses on the street have similar which shows how little crime there was that people would do that.

A community safety officer will come to your house and make recommendations if you call them.

Lack of street lighting: Wouldn't you rather put lights on your house? I don't think Mayberry has street lights either.

Old 02-11-2009, 09:06 AM

2,209 posts, read 7,625,317 times
The house we are buying has french doors too. Why would you change them?

Far as house lighting, the house has lights plus we would have a few extra spots installed as well. That's on the individual property. The taxes are nearly 4 G's a year. Pretty soon we'll get a thank you with maybe laughter when handing over the booty to these thieves and that's it.

Old 02-11-2009, 03:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrTudo View Post
The house we are buying has french doors too. Why would you change them?
Well it's really easy to break one pane of glass and get in the door for burglary. Just common sense to have a solid door with side lites for daylight. Not a good idea to have a dead bolt on your door- in case of fire you want to exit quickly.

French doors should be used on interior, this is the first town I've ever seen use them as front doors. Shows how little crime there's been here in the past. But times are tough now and burglaries are up.

We looked for a new home up and down the coast and one thing we noticed is that many, many places had those little signs showing they were wired for security but didn't see many or any in Englewood.

Old 02-11-2009, 03:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrTudo View Post
The taxes are nearly 4 G's a year. Pretty soon we'll get a thank you with maybe laughter when handing over the booty to these thieves and that's it.
Article in todays paper indicates taxes may go up because even after budget cutting ($40 mil) they think there is still $8 million shortfall. They are asking the sheriff to cut some as well to reach a balanced budget but unless something happens they'll need to raise taxes.

I don't get it. Is the budget shortfall from people not paying taxes? Because they can always get their money from property sale. Is it from property assessments being lowered? Can anyone explain it to me?

BTW I am in Charlotte County and Dearborn St. is in Sarasota County.

Old 02-11-2009, 05:46 PM

363 posts, read 1,354,421 times
In Olde Englewood, I would say it is just old Florida. This is a quiet, small town. There are crimes related to drugs. I have not heard of any random crimes or murders. Most are disturbances with related parties. Listen to the local news, WENG and read the local papers.

I think it is a great place, but no place is perfect.

Old 02-13-2009, 08:58 AM

1 posts, read 8,870 times
Default to mrtudo

I just found this forum,actually just read some old posts. I was curious as to where in New Jersey you are from because I was also 17 waaay back in the early 1970's.

Old 02-13-2009, 09:27 AM

61 posts, read 229,715 times
I'm a (civilian) member of the Florida Sheriff's Association and many of my close friends are in law enforcement.
Englewood is a "petty crime" town. Kids breaking into cars, home invasion robberies, usually by druggies, the kind of stuff you're going to get anywhere.
People around here are constantly being reminded by our local media and law enforcement to LOCK their cars and homes because our criminals are lazy and tend to take the path of least resistance.
If you read the crime sheet in the local paper, you'll see the same names appear again and again and it all seems to revolve around drugs. My local beat cop pals are constantly complaining that they bust the same rental uints and arrest the same people over and over again.
If our (revolving door) court system did it's job, our crime rate would be almost nothing.
This is a national problem, not just ours.

Last edited by Another Vet; 02-13-2009 at 09:46 AM..

Old 02-13-2009, 04:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Another Vet View Post
Englewood is a "petty crime" town. Kids breaking into cars, home invasion robberies, usually by druggies, the kind of stuff you're going to get anywhere.
This is exactly our impression too.

Old 02-14-2009, 01:00 PM

3,645 posts, read 7,108,186 times
We just bought a house over in Rotonda and I must say I love this area and the surrounding areas, I always feel very safe.
Mrs S.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area