Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area
 [Register]
Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area Manatee and Sarasota Counties
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-21-2009, 07:55 PM

3 posts, read 13,763 times

Advertisements

Last year I moved from Illinois to western North Carolina. The area is beautiful and certainly warmer than Illinois but still not warm enough for me. I plan to go further south to Florida but I'm not sure where to move. The Gulf Coast appeals to me and I would like to be near the ocean or a canal because I love beaches and boating. It is very important that I live in a town where I can walk or ride my bike to do errands. When I lived in Illinois (LaGrange Park and Brookfield) I would go for weeks in the summer without driving my car. I lived in a quiet neighborhood where I could walk or ride my bike everywhere and never have to cross or travel on a street busy enough for a traffic light. The community had a convenient, usable town (not strip malls) and in 20 minutes or less I could ride my bike to a bank, grocery store, CVS pharmacy, hardware store, hairdresser, liquor store, dollar store, dentist, doctor, real estate office, bars and good restaurants. It was a great area and I would still be there if it weren't for the brutal winters. Here in North Carolina, things are very spread out and I do a lot of driving. Also, the historical downtown has cute shops for tourists, but it is not practical for the people that live in the area. They have to drive to strip malls or big box stores to do their shopping.
An ideal town for me would be in sunny Florida near the ocean and perhaps have canals. It would have a usable downtown area and be bicyclist and pedestrian friendly. The downtown area would be surrounded by residential neighborhoods with sidewalks. My dream town would not have a lot of big box stores, fast food restaurants and strip malls. I will not be working so that does not need to be a consideration. Does my dream town exist?

Last edited by ILtoNCtoFL; 02-21-2009 at 08:06 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-21-2009, 08:10 PM

1,380 posts, read 5,928,027 times
The Island of Venice is just like you describe, I walk and bike to the grocery, the hardware store, restaurants, everything...including the beach.

Old 02-21-2009, 08:41 PM

9,530 posts, read 16,512,408 times
You might try Dunedin in Pinellas County just north of St Pete and Clearwater. That is a nice coastal community that may appeal to you. It has a smaller town feel, a nice small downtown with shops, restaurants and such. The Pinellas Trail connects this community to other areas and perhaps riding your bike between a residence and stores etc is feasible there using this paved trail. Quite frankly I doubt you could live there or anywhere in Florida as you did in your town in Illinois. Perhaps some planned commuity that has a little store and activities and people ride bikes around in these communties, maybe that. It is just way to much of a car culture in Fla and it won't change in our lifetimes. I look for a community such as you also but really things are limited. The southern USA is very much attached to the car, quite honestly there doesn't seem to be much effort into changing that. Riding a bike I believe is feasible in Dunedin to an extent, but still a car is needed for practical purposes. I cannot think of to many places in Florida where one could get on a bike with any safety and ride to all you mentioned you had in Illinois. As far as I am concerned the safest way to ride a bike in Fla is on the paved bike trails, greenways. However riding a bike on Florida streets even if there is a bike lane is not very safe if not downright dangerous. Other than Dunedin, both downtown areas in St Pete and Sarasota might be doable for you in the manner you need. Still a car seems to be a complete must in Fla, and though I need what you describe. I am beginning to accept the fact that I will have to drive more than I like if I live in that state. Best of Luck in your search.

Old 02-22-2009, 05:55 AM

7,511 posts, read 22,918,024 times
I second FLBob's recommendation on the island of Venice. I don't know that much about Dunedin so I can't really comment on that area.

The island of Venice has cute quaint shops, restaurants, the beach, grocery, pharmacy, the Venice jetty's for fishing, etc. Pretty much all of your requirements. It's all within walking/biking distance.

Old 02-22-2009, 06:06 AM

27,798 posts, read 32,427,246 times
Florida Keys?

Old 02-22-2009, 06:13 AM

6,103 posts, read 15,085,469 times
You ought to check out Punta Gorda Isles. The homes are very well maintained, they are all on canal fronts, and a lot of people ride bikes here all the time. There are a couple of really nice farmers markets that are a short bike ride from our house, and they are open every week. We went there yesterday and got a lot of fresh fruit, cheese, vegetables, and some fresh fish for dinner from one of the seafood markets in town. Oh, and we got some fresh homemade soup from "The Soup Lady!" Many other stores including grocery stores, pharmacies, shops and restaurants are a short bike ride away too. In fact, I ordered a bike and it will be in next week.

Old 02-22-2009, 06:49 AM

385 posts, read 1,159,180 times
I posted this in another thread and thought I would share it here as well. This is a great tool to use to find the walkability score in a community/area you may be interested in. I used it while living in SoCal and it was spot on. When I plug in West Venice Ave. (which runs through the island of Venice) the walkable score is 75. Not bad at all!- The last place I lived in Southbay was an 85 and we rode our beach cruisers everywhere, from beach, pharmacy, bookstore, grocery, you name it.

http://www.walkscore.com/

Old 02-22-2009, 08:46 AM

17,533 posts, read 39,121,426 times
Sarasota - it has an awesome downtown, and in recent years have added bike paths and cross walks. There is also Siesta key for a smaller town feel near the beach. You really cannot beat this area, IMO, especially if you want the Gulf Coast.

However, if Sarasota seems to large or busy for you then I recommend Venice or Dunedin as has already been suggested.

Good luck, there are many beautiful areas here to choose from.

ETA: I plugged in my old address in Laurel Park (downtown Sarasota) and the walk score was 94 - considered a "walker's paradise!"

Old 02-23-2009, 12:15 AM

384 posts, read 990,112 times
Walkscore! What a great tool. Hopping in here on the Island of Venice recommendations - how does the cost of real estate there compare to other nearby areas? I presume it is higher ... but are we talking astronomically higher or 10-20%?

Old 02-23-2009, 05:50 AM

7,511 posts, read 22,918,024 times
I'll give you some stats-the least expensive condo in Venice is off island in Bird Bay-a 1/1 for $58K. The least expensive condo on island is located in Gulf Breeze on Base St a 2/1 for $75K.

The least expensive area in Venice is located in south Venice where you can pick up a home starting at $50K that is in need of some work. The least expensive on island is a home on Guild St for $120K that needs a lot of work. There's a little 2/1 built in 1969 on Golf Dr for $175K. Most homes on Island are at least $200K+. You could pick up a condo on Island much cheaper.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area