U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area
 [Register]
Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area Manatee and Sarasota Counties
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-19-2007, 10:35 AM

3 posts, read 9,628 times

Advertisements

Hi!

My husband is probably going to accept a partnership with a guy in North Sarasota and we'd thus be moving to the area from Dallas, Texas (we're originally from Washington, D.C., though). I've been doing a ton of research on the area and am terrified of housing costs/insurance, etc., but everything else looks great. We really don't like Dallas (concrete jungle and landlocked) and like being closer to nature and the ocean. We are a progressive family with two young daughters, 2 and 4. Right now we live in the 'burbs north of Dallas, and really would prefer more of a city-feel to our neighborhood - more diversity, more people out walking their dogs/kiddos, more of a sense of community, etc. We want our daughters to get to know people of all walks of life - racial, economic, lifestyle choice, etc., and want to find someplace in the Sarasota/Bradenton area where they will get a chance to interact with and become part of a community with people of all walks of life.

Does someplace like that exist? And, we are thinking that, from what we can tell, housing for a place about 2400 sq. ft, with a pool and near A schools could run around $400K. Are we correct in that assumption? Anyplace a bit less expensive, but with the ammenities/community feel we are looking for?

I've read all the negatives, and admit they do scare me a bit. But, Dallas has lots of negatives, too, and my hubby swears this partnership would be a once-in-a-lifetime for him. So, here we are. If anyone could give us some guidance and some advice it would be greatly appreciated. I just really want to avoid making the mistake we made here - moving to the burbs because we didn't know of the "funkier and hipper" neighborhoods hidden inside Dallas.

Also, it would be great to get an idea of the insurance rate we can expect to pay for a $400K house. I know the taxes vary, but what is an average insurance bill for such a home?

Thanks so much for any help!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-20-2007, 01:44 PM

4,543 posts, read 11,402,360 times
I would think $400K would get you a nice home...there are some beautiful older homes by Sarasota Memorial that are all different types, kind of historical homes...depends on what you're looking for...I'm not as familiar with Sarasota as I am with Bradenton...lived here for 16 years....there are some very interesting homes by the airport, on the bay side as well as in the Ringling museum area...where's the job?

Old 03-21-2007, 12:56 PM

3 posts, read 9,628 times
Thanks for answering. Hubby will be in North Sarasota, somewhere up near Lakewood Ranch (I haven't seen the area yet, but that is what he tells me). He'll be on Macintosh Road, if that helps! Of any of the neighborhoods you listed, are any near good, A-rated, schools?

Old 03-22-2007, 07:00 AM

332 posts, read 1,333,844 times
Try researching Sarasota's Arlington Park area. It's one of the older neighborhoods, closer to downtown, but might be a bit expensive though.

Also I keep hearing everywhere that Rosemary would be a good investment now since it started to take definite turns for the better. This is a place where you would likely find the kind of diversity you've talked about. Although I'm not quite sure about schools.

Gulf Gate is a nice and pleasant neighborhood that offers very good schools and many other things you're looking for. But I'm not sure if it can completely fit your criteria for diversity. Also it'll be a long commute for your husband since it's in the southern part of town.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2013 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area